How To Provide A Detailed Yune Up To A 2000 STS with 73,000 Miles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, How To Provide A Detailed Yune Up To A 2000 STS with 73,000 Miles in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2000 Cadillac Seville STS with 73,567 miles on it and I want to upgrade to spark plugs ...
    MaupinMan16 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Seville STS

Smile How To Provide A Detailed Yune Up To A 2000 STS with 73,000 Miles

I have a 2000 Cadillac Seville STS with 73,567 miles on it and I want to upgrade to spark plugs to Bosch or NGK and provide newer parts to it such as fuel filter, air filter or some kind on intake and pcv valve. My car has coil on plug technology and I do not have to replace those but I do need to know how to remove those to access the spark plugs. I am also thinking of putting a Corsa exhaust on the car yet don't know how large of a pipe to get. Is 2.5'' good? Let me know what else should be done as routine maitnence for a cadillac northstar engine with this type of mileage. I just put in Mobil 1 Extended Performace 5w-30 and changed the transmission fluid.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: How To Provide A Detailed Yune Up To A 2000 STS with 73,000 Miles

DO NOT use Bosch or any other plugs. Stick with A/C Delco. Other brands do not seem to play well with the Northstar.

There is no PCV valve. It is a metered orifice. Nothing to change on the 2000+.

If the coolant has not been changed, you are long overdue. It's very important to keep up with that.

Pulling the ignition cassettes should be pretty straight forward, but if you are not sure and are going to do your own wrenching it would be money well spent to get a FSM by Helm Inc (not Chiltons or Haynes).

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    DO NOT use Bosch or any other plugs. Stick with A/C Delco. Other brands do not seem to play well with the Northstar.
    I tried Bosch in my N*. Turned into fouled and carboned up junk in under 10,000 miles. Just say no.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

As the posters above said, stick with A/C Delco. Part# for the 2000 cars is #41-987. Last time I checked RockAuto, they were around $4.10 a plug. Expensive, but our cars require the best. I believe the consensus around here is to go ahead and replace the spark plug boots, as they tend to crack over time. With the air filters, don't go crazy with K&N or anything like that. They're junk and don't provide any more power or performance. I just replaced mine with another stock one, but I believe another recommendation here on the forums is Wix. I think that is what Sub (submariner409) is running in his '02 with much success. He also has the Corsa exhaust, so he can answer any questions about that.

Other things to do look out for are crankshaft position sensors, which cause random stalling and no-start conditions. My car was just hit with this problem again after 6 years of no symptoms. To check, you can check codes in your dash. Look at the top of the Seville/Eldo forums for information on how to. Also, the intake plenum tends to crack on these cars, causing a vacuum leak and causing the car to have a slight "miss" at idle.

Good luck, enjoy your STS, and finally !

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

MaupinMan16, Heed the good advice of the previous posters to your questions. The 2000+ Seville/Northstar package is about as tricked out as you can get, with the GM engineers having done all the necessary work. You do not need an aftermarket code scanner: its all built into the car already.

There are a million words written in here and Northstar performance on how to get a slight overall performance gain from modifying the already installed cold air intake, and it can all be done at home and does not, and should not, involve spending money on an aftermarket product.

The CORSA comes as a complete package, from the cat back, and is already completely set and designed for your car. Expensive, but the only exhaust system that is proven to give slight performance gains and not drone you out of the car at the same time.

DO NOT get creative with spark plugs and snake oil. You'll be sorry. If your car has 73,000 miles on it, you still have about 25,000 to go before a plug change is absolutely necessary. Takes a long morning and some skinned knuckles. Again, the procedure is posted here and in Northstar performance. Those ACDelco #41-987 Platinum plugs last a long time. Surf through www.rockauto.com or post to Luke in Parts at Lindsay Cadillac up in the top vendors thread section. (Your car runs just fine on regular gas: That's why it has such an extensive fuel/ignition management system). Use Texaco, Shell, Chevron or another of the top tier fuels (Google "top tier gasoline).

Stick with a good 5W-30 oil, either dino or synthetic, and a WIX 51522 filter. (Google "knize oil filter study").

BTW.........Welcome Aboard !!!!!

Ur7x is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 STS

X2 to what the ranger said...

These engines do NOT need any form of "tune up" until 100,000 miles... I have 95,000 miles on the stock plugs and I still pull 0-60 runs in under 6.5 seconds...

The tune up procedure on our cars is
    1) Replace the coolant (every 3rd year at the LATEST, yours should be on its third, ready for its fourth batch)
    2) clean the throttle body with carb/tb cleaner a tooth brush.
    3) replace the air cleaner with a new paper element from the dealer (if its dirty)
    4) WOT procedure to "blow out the carbon"

And that's it. PERIOD.

Any more and you are wasting your time and money.

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

For my 99 the manual also recommends transmission service at 100,000, although that may have changed post-2000.

I thank everybody for all the detailed information you have provided me with. Although, Is there any type of high performance intake out there like maybe a WEAPON IR or something that will fit into the small area and not blow out the Mass Air Flow Sensor. I put a intake on my 4.0L Oldsmobile Aurora before I bought the Cadillac and man was that a good intake and sounded pretty good.

And what are your opinions on Royal Purple Motor oil 5w-30

Necrosan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe

Don't rice your car up.
    The intake it has should suffice unless you do something ridiculous (IE. Supercharger, Turbo, etc)
    All adding one of those lame ass ebay intakes will do is make more noise and decrease airflow.

If you have the money to spare for Royal Purple, get it for the next oil change. Not much sense in doing so now as you just claim to have changed the oil.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Oil is oil. Everyone has his favorite and many an oil was has been fought here. In the end they all do the same thing. Pick your favorite. Changing it is far more important than what brand you use.

............and, as posted here several times, there is no "high performance" air intake for your car - not now, yesterday, tomorrow, not in Summit, Jeg's, PAW, K&N, nothing. Change the existing panel to a WIX (greater surface area = more flow/great filtration) and, to make your maintenance life easier, do a search in here and in Northstar Performance for "butt plug". A louder intake noise - why? - (I know, ricers think its cool, like a fart-can muffler) can be had with the "butt plug" and a bit of existing airbox work. It's all in here, posted many, many times.

As for taking out the ignition module or coil on plug panel what type of tool or wrench is needed to take these off. Are the rear ones a little more difficult to remove? And there is a pcv valve on this vehicle it is just under the engine cover in the center of the rear valve cover area.

Thanks

The front coil cassette comes off with a (?) 10mm socket, 8 bolts, I think, after removing the radiator sight shield (the plastic trim panel across the whole front of the engine area) and the ICM connector. DO NOT forget to clip the upper radiator hose back into the channel on the underside rear of the sight shield......the rear casette comes off the same way, but you also have to remove the rear A.I.R. valve - the round thingy on the top of the rear casette area. (Our cars have a controlled fixed orifice PCV system - the line runs from the rear cam cover to just inside the "front" end of the intake manifold...... I think early 2000 and/or earlier had a rattle type PCV valve......and the clean air supply runs from the atmospheric side of the TB to the front cam cover.)

In the underside of the coil cassette is a ground spring which must be springy and clean. Check the coil connector boots for cleanliness and carbon tracks. You will probably find a plug or two with oil on the insulator. Don't sweat it: the wells are sealed with O-rings in the cam covers, so a little seepage is normal. Use ACDelco 41-987 Platinum plugs. Nothing else. RockAuto.

middieblueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

HI guys,

Happy to be back. Back in October when gas was $4+ I did something stupid and bought a 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R with exhaust and all of that noise and got myself into the car payment trap again. Fianlly sold the Altima yesterday and now I'm car pmt. free once again!! Today was my first day back in the 2000 STS---wow what a difference. I have 66K on my car and I am hoping it lasts long without issues. Check out the pics--18 inch 2007 Cadillac wheels are a nice upgrade IMO. I also did the limo stabilizer bar--nice cheap upgrade. submariner409, you're car is awesome!! That exhaust looks amazing. How much does that cost and what do you think you really gain HP wise? Is it loud?
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.