info/mpg not displaying, ABS light on
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, info/mpg not displaying, ABS light on in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; everything worked last night. i went out started it up today and the info is displaying nothing, no avg mpg ...
    PA93STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Seville STS

info/mpg not displaying, ABS light on

everything worked last night. i went out started it up today and the info is displaying nothing, no avg mpg etc, the tach goes up to idle but does not move further when gas pedal is pushed. the abs light is on. the climate control does not display anything nor do the buttons for the defrosters light up. its blowing pretty cool air cant remeber what the temp was set to. defrosters dont seem to be working. i warmed it up for 10 minutes. please help me out.. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: info/mpg not displaying, ABS light on

ok the defroster is working. it is warming up inside atleast and melting ice on windsheild. the abs however is not working. roads have snow on them and i am spinning - took it around the block.

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

P
    u
    l
    l

c o d e s

I CANT PULL CODES. the information bar is not lit. the climate control bar is not lit and i dont think the climate control buttons are working.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Your IPC believes that the battery power is to low and shuts down the VFDs (IPC, Climate Control and Radio). Try cleaning the battery terminals; make sure the battery is good. There are (at least for ‘97) several wires labeled “battery positive voltage” “controlled positive voltage” and so on. One of these is used to measure the battery voltage. Below 9V (?) it will shut down the VFD’s. From what I know it should not affect the tach. or any other gauge. Unfortunately I don’t remember where I read that in the FSM and I can find-it now. It also has a “Service Electrical System” message when the alternator voltage is outside parameters (10-16V) and the engine is running above 500RPM over 5 seconds. Then P1380 and P1381 can trigger this (EBTCM related).
    These are all for OBDII cars, not sure for yours but try the battery first.

GOT IT!

“If the voltage falls bellow 9.0 volts, the IPC turns off all unneeded dimming VF display circuits (CCP 54V and Radio 16V output).”

CCP54V is climate control related (no climate control display)
    Radio 16V is the reference voltage for the interior lights for the Radio (no radio button lights and display)

really odd... i just went out and started it and everything is back to normal. North* - my radio lights were on, mirrors worked, radio turned on, when everything else was going wrong. My speedo and tach also werent working. any ideas? ill check my battery terminals tomorrow in the daylight. thanks for the help...

Try pulling the codes now (since all is working). Letís see whatís in history.

Where are you located, I mean what is your outside temperature. If is like here this morning (I saw even Ė21 Celsius) then the controller might just quit for a while.

i am in pittsburgh, pa. it was -6 degrees C / 20 degrees F. i just got home, so i pulled all the history codes..
    I052 .................................................. ..... Keep Alive Memory Error
    T072 .................................................. ...... Serial Data Link Fault
    A037 ......................................... Loss of Instrument Panel Cluster Data
    P047 (E047) ................................................. IPC - PCM Data Problem
    P095 (E095) .................................................. Engine Stall Detected
    P107 (E107) .............................................. PCM/BCM Data Link Problem
    P137 (E137) ............................. Loss of TCS (traction control system) Data

"Service ride control " has been on since i bought the car.. i pulled the following codes before but they were active and now they are in history.
    S060 .............................................. Left Front Position Sensor Fault
    S061 ............................................. Right Front Position Sensor Fault

there were no active codes.

that is a lot of history codes i dont know if this would have anything to do with this all - when i took the car around the block earlier in the night to make sure the abs was really out, i went to pull in my driveway and slid on ice and bumped my front left wheel on the curb. i backed up, cut the wheel, put it in drive, and proceeded in my driveway. i come out 30 minutes later, turn it on, and everything is back to normal aside from everything being reset. I noticed when i left again after everything came back i am slightly out of alignment(the steering wheel is cocked maybe 1/8th of an inch towards the right). one last thing - my panel flickered off then on again real quick while i was driving and only did it once. i never saw it do it again.

P137 (E137) ............................. Loss of TCS (traction control system) Data
    This is why your ABS light was ON.
    A037 ......................................... Loss of Instrument Panel Cluster Data
    P047 (E047) ................................................. IPC - PCM Data Problem
    Thatís the dead IPC
    I052 .................................................. ..... Keep Alive Memory Error
    This is a low or no voltage
    T072 .................................................. ...... Serial Data Link Fault
    P107 (E107) .............................................. PCM/BCM Data Link Problem
    These are caused by all of the above.
    I would go with an intermittent power condition.
    Do you have a FSM for your model year? If so check all the power circuits for EBTCM/IPC/PZM. Look for the shared ones mainly (it usually fails in just one spot).
    A dirty battery terminals condition may cause something similar, but I doubt of this.

yea i dont have a service manual yet...money is tight right now. i am going to order one from helm when i get 90$ to spare. everything worked fine today and i wonder if it was just the cold messing with things..my battery volts have been running in the 13.7 range while driving. i thought that the normal range was around 14.6 volts while driving. you think this could be related to my battery? it has been pretty cold around here lately..

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

How old is your battery? This cold snap could do it in if its marginal. You are correct that ~14.5 is normal battery voltage (engine running).

im not sure hpow old it is i bought the car in the beginning of december. it is regularly in the 13v range when running though.

scott f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS/ 1994 STS

I know this thread is several years old but, I'm suffering from the exact same codes as in post 8 and 9...has anyone ever solved this? It's become very frustrating to remedy, I found another IPC at the boneyard but really don't want to slam $100 down for it if it's not the problem...Fresh battery, terminals, cables, tried another PCM, checked tons of underhood connections????

Most likely the IPC is just fine, the wires in between is what usually causes the issue.
    You have a '94 and in that time they use the bigger terminals for relays (less prone to corrosion issues). I would be hunting for corrosion in the connectors (no, don’t just spray some stuff in there, actually disconnect and clean the pins - including the female ones).
    Too bad I have no diagrams below '96...

scott f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS/ 1994 STS

Thank you very much for the input...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.