Rear shock replacement (advice, tips?)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Rear shock replacement (advice, tips?) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just wanted to ask how hard it is do replace the rear shocks & springs on a '99 STS, anything ...
    osiris83 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Performance

Rear shock replacement (advice, tips?)

Just wanted to ask how hard it is do replace the rear shocks & springs on a '99 STS, anything i should look out for when replacing them?

I have been hearing a clunk lately and last time i had the oil changed they said that the right rear shock looked as if the rubber was pulling apart. The compressor does seem to run a little much, i can even hear it kick on when i'm at stop lights. The shocks seem to hold pressure though, some days the shocks get so hard it seems like the rear wheels are mounted right to the frame, and it'll hold that pressure over night.

I'm going to replace the springs also, my STS seems to sit just a little lower in the back then other ones i see on the road.(When i had an alignment done they told me that i had a slight camber on the rear wheels that couldn't be adjusted, i heard this could be from bad springs)
    Already bought the shocks (Electronic Adjustable Monroe 40029/40030) got them both new in the box for $57.00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Rear shock replacement (advice, tips?)

Here are a few pics of the left and right rear wheel, just wanted an opinion if it looks to be sitting low. (Want to know if i should do the springs also)

Left Side:

Right Side: (measurements taken from the center of the tire to the top of the fender)

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Looks normal to me. You may also have an air line leaking that is causing the compressor to run more often. While you're in there you may as well replace the strut caps too (assuming these cars have them). One went bad on my Deville and it clunked like the rear wheel was about to fall out.

I don't know if there are shock caps, the part on the top of the shock is pre-attached

Here is the top of the new shock:

And in the manual it looks as if it just bolts right onto the car:

Found out why the air compressor was running so much, also no more noises from the rear since i put the new shocks on.

(both pics are the right side)

98eldorado-lee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 eldorado etc

Quote Originally Posted by osiris83 View Post
    Found out why the air compressor was running so much, also no more noises from the rear since i put the new shocks on.

(both pics are the right side)

how hard of a job was it?

Quote Originally Posted by 98eldorado-lee View Post
    how hard of a job was it?
    Actually one of the easiest jobs i've done so far on the Cadillac. 2 bolts at the top(inside the trunk), 2 at the bottom and then its just the air lines and electrical connections. Took a little over an hour to do.

The only hard part was extending the shock, i got it out somewhat attached it to the control arm then used a jack to raise the control arm and allow the top bolts to meet up. If i had to rate this job on a 1-10 scale I'd say it was a 3.

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

I did my rears last summer, and they, as you stated were easy as pie. I had a pin hole leak in one of the air bags. I forgot to take pictures of the process, now we have some!

jllindy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville DTS

Quote Originally Posted by osiris83 View Post
    Just wanted to ask how hard it is do replace the rear shocks & springs on a '99 STS, anything i should look out for when replacing them?

I have been hearing a clunk lately and last time i had the oil changed they said that the right rear shock looked as if the rubber was pulling apart. The compressor does seem to run a little much, i can even hear it kick on when i'm at stop lights. The shocks seem to hold pressure though, some days the shocks get so hard it seems like the rear wheels are mounted right to the frame, and it'll hold that pressure over night.

I'm going to replace the springs also, my STS seems to sit just a little lower in the back then other ones i see on the road.(When i had an alignment done they told me that i had a slight camber on the rear wheels that couldn't be adjusted, i heard this could be from bad springs)
    Already bought the shocks (Electronic Adjustable Monroe 40029/40030) got them both new in the box for $57.00.
    where did you find these shocks so cheap?

tman2093 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond STS with Sirius, 2001 Silverado

they arent the electronic shocks, they just have the air fittings. No way he got the CVRSS shocks for that price. If he did, I will buy a dozen sets from him.

newetc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by jllindy View Post
    where did you find these shocks so cheap?
    yep.. i want to find out as well.. i'll replace my complete suspension for that price.. any info on the replacement shocks you got.. thanks

They are the CVRSS shocks, i just got extremely lucky to find them at that price. After i was told i need to replace the shocks i went online and after a lot time and googling i found the monroe shocks listed on ebay. The title just said "cadillac strut" i found them by just googling the monroe part number, someone had them listed as buy it now, one for $18 the other for $9. First i checked to make sure the model numbers were correct and if they were used or not. It looked like they were selling items from an estate, no clue what they were for/worth...
    I clicked buy it now and had my paypal info in in about 30 seconds, lol.

tman2093 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond STS with Sirius, 2001 Silverado

you are one lucky sob my friend. congratulations.

newetc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldo

ok.. that is a good find.. good score...

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

I'll have to check that out when I replace mine. I'm going to get mine done at 100k as that is typically when they fail. So i've got 35k to go!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.