Rear shock replacement (advice, tips?) - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Rear shock replacement (advice, tips?) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Rear shock replacement (advice, tips?)

Use rockauto.com as a part number reference tool.
    Probably (I am not 100% sure) SLS has different struts for the same model year comparing with STS (might be some interchange here and there though). Rockauto should reveal everything. And yeah…’98-’02 should be your target (but double check).

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

cool thanks

Ian-STS99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville

I'd never go with USED / 2ND HAND parts ..... you never know what your getting, and not only that, you can not get a refund or replacement part if it's faulty or the wrong part, I'd buy new when it comes to the shocks / struts etc.

If you want to save money, buy the passive shocks, if you want the same ride as OEM, buy the active replacements from Monroe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian-STS99 View Post
    I'd never go with USED / 2ND HAND parts ..... you never know what your getting, and not only that, you can not get a refund or replacement part if it's faulty or the wrong part, I'd buy new when it comes to the shocks / struts etc.

If you want to save money, buy the passive shocks, if you want the same ride as OEM, buy the active replacements from Monroe.
    that is one reason i wont buy from ebay ill only buy used from a bone yard that i trust there are 3 that i deal with a few times a year and never have trouble iwth them if the part they sell is bad i always get a refund sometiems they ask for a few days to let them find another one but i never have trouble with the parts i get from these places

what some one really needs to do is reman these parts i dont understand how come no company has tried to reman or rebuild these struts

has anyone ever figured out what the difrance between the OEM and the aftermarket Monroe strut is
    i know i had read somewhere
    that some have thought Monroe was just a passive strut that had a bypass
    and someone had said they where built difrantly

i was thinking of going with the Monroe aftermarket but only the passenger side
    will i notice anything difrante i dont want to put a part that doesnt work right like if i get the monroe on one side and then keep the OME original one on the other side willi notice
    anhyting difrant in handling

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

The Monroe is supposed to be a direct, active replacement - the real deal.

derone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by osiris83 View Post
    (When i had an alignment done they told me that i had a slight camber on the rear wheels that couldn't be adjusted, i heard this could be from bad springs).
    The rear can be 'aligned' with alignment shims from rockauto to cure the additional negative camber. These are placed between the control arm and wheel bearing. Of course, yours might not need it now with the new shocks.

I did a little research on these.

Below you will find details on shocks / struts that AcDelco make for the SLS / STS / Deville.

I did some more cross referance on these and it seems that the Monroe shocks / struts are a direct replacement for all years based on the info from AcDelco's website in which they list these cars with the same part number.

The only difference that I could find with the STS / SLS of later years is that they use different front struts / rear shocks (F45 v's F55).

STRUT,FRT SUSP
    Part Number: 580-120
    Product Notes:
    [Front Suspension Red Electric Adjuster Strut]; w/Electronic Susp ; Real Time Damping Chassis (F45) ; Left hand
    Per Vehicle: 2; Years: 2002-2003

STRUT ASM,FRT SUSP
    Part Number: 580-245
    Product Notes:
    [Front Suspension Strut]; Spring code bj, dm ; Sport Susp (FE3) ; Variable Time Damping Chassis, (F55)

ABSORBER,RR LVLG SHK
    Part Number: 580-131
    Product Notes:
    [Rear Leveling Shock Red Electric Adjuster Absorber]; Sport Susp (FE3) ; Real Time Damping Chassis (F45) ; Right hand
    Per Vehicle: 2; Years: 2002-2002

ABSORBER ASM,RR LVLG SHK
    Part Number: 580-323
    Product Notes:
    [Rear Levelling Shock Absorber]; Sport Susp (FE3) ; Variable Time Damping Chassis (F55) ; Right hand
    Attached Images

Found this while I was looking up F45 vs F55 suspensions !!!

C5 Corvette MagneRide Shock Upgrade kit
    Upgrade your 1997-2002 Corvette F45 (only)Chassis Continuously Variable Real Time Damping (CCVRTD) suspension system with this MagneRide (F55) suspension system. The resulting uncompromised comfort and handling with redesigned jounce bumper for superior wheel control and large impact feel, and automatic and independent adjustment of rebound and compression damping loads are a perfect upgrade to your C5 Corvette. MagneRide shock absorbers utilize state of the art magnetorheological (MR) fluid, which is a complex, synthetic - hydrocarbon - based liquid having somewhere between 20% and 40% (by volume) Carbony Iron Particles (97% - 99% iron) to offer excellent electromagnetic properties. The flow characteristics (rheology) change when subjected to a direct-current - magnetic field strength. The MagneRide controller is a powerful dual-processor device which is capable of making 1000 adjustments per second in each of the car's four shocks. The controller receives each wheel movement in the vehicle via position sensors and according to the wheel movement data, the controller will determine the vehicle body motions (pitch, roll, and lift). Utilizing the two mode F45 center console switch, in (tour) mode, the controller emphasizes the driver comfort, while in (sport) mode the road feel and steering response will be maximized.This upgrade kit utilizes the existing F45 wheel position sensors, driver select switch, and main suspension system wiring harness.

I'll do some more research on this to see if this can be ported / done on the STS / SLS.

I am a little bit confused hear are they saying that you can use the front struts and rear shocks from a 2003 in a 2000 ?
    from those print outs files there
    it looks like they are saying 1999-2003 are the years they are compatible with i know the 2000 has the f45 i thout that they switched to the f55 in 2003 so how can a 2003 strut work in a 2000 im just a bit confused
    i saw a 2003 in the bone yard today when i went to look around i was bored and it was in a rear end colision and it had been sitting there for like hte last 5 years the guy said it only has 11k on it and he would give me the strust for 100 each
    so i might as well just take those if they will work but im confused here please help thanks

also when i was looking up on rock auto they gave the same part numbers for the STS-and SLS so i was thinking maybe its all in the computer on how it is suposed to ride does this make sence
    is it possible that they have nothign to do with the strut them selve on the handling becosue i always thout that the STS was a stiffer suspension and all

Quote Originally Posted by Ian-STS99 View Post
    I did a little research on these.

Below you will find details on shocks / struts that AcDelco make for the SLS / STS / Deville.

I did some more cross referance on these and it seems that the Monroe shocks / struts are a direct replacement for all years based on the info from AcDelco's website in which they list these cars with the same part number.

The only difference that I could find with the STS / SLS of later years is that they use different front struts / rear shocks (F45 v's F55).

STRUT,FRT SUSP
    Part Number: 580-120
    Product Notes:
    [Front Suspension Red Electric Adjuster Strut]; w/Electronic Susp ; Real Time Damping Chassis (F45) ; Left hand

STRUT ASM,FRT SUSP
    Part Number: 580-245
    Product Notes:
    [Front Suspension Strut]; Spring code bj, dm ; Sport Susp (FE3) ; Variable Time Damping Chassis, (F55)

ABSORBER,RR LVLG SHK
    Part Number: 580-131
    Product Notes:
    [Rear Leveling Shock Red Electric Adjuster Absorber]; Sport Susp (FE3) ; Real Time Damping Chassis (F45) ; Right hand
    Per Vehicle: 2; Years: 2002-2002

ABSORBER ASM,RR LVLG SHK
    Part Number: 580-323
    Product Notes:
    [Rear Levelling Shock Absorber]; Sport Susp (FE3) ; Variable Time Damping Chassis (F55) ; Right hand

here is a link to a few that i found on ebay
    is there a way to tell if these are the real deal or are they just passive with a bypass ?
    is there a way to tell without waitng to find out a respons from the seller i emailed to ask if they are monroe or if they are acdelco
    if he tells me neithere is there another company that made somthing like this for a short period of time that just never sold so they stoped making them ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...Q5fAccessories

They could be the struts made by Monroe, can't see them being OEM as they are too cheap at $299.00.

I've added a pic of the part numbers for the Monroe shocks / struts that you can also look up on Rockauto.

they look exactly 100 percent like the passive ones from arnott i was just looking around and they look exactly the same

so im thining they are most likly probably passive wich im going to wait to find out from the guy who is selling them
    he should post on there if they are

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.