Frustrating ABS/TCS Issue on a 1999 Seville STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Frustrating ABS/TCS Issue on a 1999 Seville STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    Kaline is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS

Frustrating ABS/TCS Issue on a 1999 Seville STS

Hello All! Thanks for checking out my post. I have a frustrating Anti Lock Brake (ABS) problem on my 1999 Cadillac STS that I soliciting advice on how to diagnose.

First, a little history about myself & my car. I am a former GM chassis engineer (1998-2008) who worked in vehicle design & development at the GM Tech Center in Warren. I did not work on the development of this vehicle. However, I have access to a GM’s service manuals and some diagnostic tools. My car is a 1999 Cadillac Seville STS that was purchased off-lease by my mother in 2001 (at 24K miles). She drove it daily and had dealer maintained until 2007 when I bought it (102K miles). The car’s full service history is known and it has been very well maintained. It currently has 117K miles.

Starting at 58K miles when my mother owned it, it would occasionally set both the ABS and Traction control light (maybe once a year). It would set an ABS code; usually C1243 Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV) Pump Motor Stalled. My mom would have the dealer look at it, then would read the code, then clear the DTCs and everything was OK. However, at just over 100K miles it started setting the code more often, as bad as once a week. Her dealer thought either the Electronic Brake Traction Control Module (EBTCM) or the BPMV were bad and recommended both components be replaced. This is when my mom bought her current Cadillac SRX and sold the STS to me.

For 6 months (November – April), the ABS and TCS lights never came back on. Everything was fine. Then after April, the light came on occasionally. It come on only at startup, and within 1 mile the light goes out. The strange thing is that when the lights are on, the following items do not work:
    · Heated seats
    · Rear window defogger
    · MagnaSteer
    · Compass on mirror & auto dimming feature
    · The fog light switch does not work. If the lights were off, they stay off, and vice versa.
    · Forced 2nd gear starts (probably due to the TCS light being on).

I started really looking into the issue in August. I borrowed a Tech 2 and retrieved the following codes from the ABS module on 8/22/2008:
    · C1234 LR Wheel Speed Sensor short or open circuit
    · C1255 EBTCM Internal Malfunction
    · C1255 E2 Internal Malfunction
    · C1298 PCM Indicated Class 2 Serial data link malfunction

I cleared all codes, and drove it to see what would reset. On 9/19/2008, the following codes were retrieved via Tech 2:
    · U1016 Loss of PCM communications
    · U1056 Loss of RTD/RSS communications

Thinking the EBTCM is bad due to all the internal faults, I swapped the EBTCM with a used one from a 1998 car (direct replacement according to my local junkyard). All codes were cleared on the vehicle. I still get the lights coming on with increasing frequency. I scanned the car today (12/7/2008) with a Tech 2 and receive the following codes:

Powertrain Control Module (PCM):
    · P1602 Loss of EBTCM data
    · P1644 Torque Control Delivered, Torque Output Circuit

Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR):
    · U1255 Generic Loss of Communication
    · E1040 Loss of EBCM/EBTCM communication

ABS:
    · C1298 Class 2 data communication link malfunction (set twice)

Suspension (RSS):
    · C1783 ICCS2 Data link left short to ground/open
    · C1785 ICCS2 Data link right short to ground/open

Since I do not see the EBTCM internal malfunction codes anymore, that leads me to believe the used EBTCM is OK and there is come sort of communication issue with the car. A buddy of mine who worked as an ABS calibrator for Delphi feels it is a a communcation issue, as other Class 2 items (heated seats, rear window defogger, etc) are not working. He stated that BPMVs rarely every go bad. My local dealer (different from my mom's dealer) wants to replace both the EBTCM and BPMV.

Has anyone else run into this? I am running out of ideas on what to do. It is ruining the pleasure of driving this car. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Re: Frustrating ABS/TCS Issue on a 1999 Seville STS

It sounds like you're having lots of annoying issues, but instead of pulling codes through a Tech 2 you can just use the built in scanner.

Turn on car, press the ^ and On/Off on your DIC controls. Dash will flicker for a few seconds and then come back up and read "All Codes?". Press on the On/Off button and it will list all your codes. Instead of using the Tech 2; this is much easier. Try clearing them through the build in scanner and test the car out again. All this info is at the top of the page here.

Is it possible the module is failing from the '98? What about a Body Control Module? That is linked to many different things in the car; not sure though. Sorry I'm not much of more help, one of our gurus here (Ranger, Sub or STS2003) should know much more about this.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'm clueless on this one. Any chance there is a bad ground somewhere or maybe a weak battery? Ahh, disregard. Just remembered this started 50,000 miles ago.

Ryannell: Thanks for the self-diagostic tip! I did not know these cars had that feature. I can give my buddy (who is a former GM technician) his Tech 2 back!

Ranger: I have thought about it being a grounding issue. Remember, it stated out as a once-a-year issue on the car. It got worse of the last 14 months and now it is every other day. I plan to clean the underhood ABS ground (G100) and left interior ground (G200) once the weather breaks (it has been very cold here in Michigan). Those two grounds impact the ABS module (G100), heated seats and rear window defogger (G200). It is a place to start!

Feel free to throw any other ideas my way!

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Ah, we have a common denominator.

See post #2 for the details on how to pull the DTC's on your car.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...s-warning.html

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

I think the ground you are looking at for the ABS is a fun one to clean. I tried to remove the bolt on mine to clean it, and the head snapped off. I had to drill a new one and use a sheet metal screw to re-fasten the ground to the frame.

On a side note I'm often in the 14 Mile / Amelia St area of Royal Oak, visiting friends from college with my wife, every few months! Fun town!

After a rough drive to and from work today with the ABS and Traction Control lights coming on independently (which is a fairly new phoenomeon), scanned the codes again tonight. Here is what was set as history codes:

· U1040 Loss of EBCM/EBTCM communication

Suspension (RSS):
    · C1780 Loss of Steering Position Signal

Hmm, some consistent messages from yesterday. THEN, I keyed off and keyed on, and the ABS and TCS lights came on. So I scanned codes again and got the following CURRENT codes:

Instrument Panel:

Suspension (RSS):
    · C1780 Loss of Steering Position Signal

And there was no communication to the ABS module. I reset all the codes again.

Previously, I cleaned the connector to the ABS unit. I think I should check out the ABS ground and try to clean it. Any thoughts?

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

While searching the forum, I found this thread:

Thread

Pretty much shows matches yours code for code. I'm not sure what the solution was, but something is loose or not plugged in.

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Try cleaning the BPMV ground. I was getting ABS/TC lights as well, but my codes were pretty consistently C1242 and C1243. The BPMV ground was pretty ugly but suprisingly easy to access. Just pull the lower splash shield and its staring at you on the driver's side of the car. The BPMV connectors may also need some help on my car but I have not gone in after them yet. After cleaning the ground my ABS/TC lights went away for a few months until I left the car to sit for a few days and let the battery go a little flat (cold out and repeatedly left the courtesy lights on while working in the trunk). As soon as the battery got a good snort from the alternator the codes went away, but it leads me to believe there still may be a minor BPMV connector issue on my car. Given your profusion of codes this is an easy task that may knock a few down. You may also want to consider the battery as a possible culprit if it is old or tired. Low voltage is a siren call to the random code gremlins.

steve1123 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville, 1999 STS

I'm having a very similar problem! Magnasteer, front heated seats, mirror/compass seem to work erratically. I also have the C1780 Loss of Steering Position Signal and the Service Suspension System appears on startup, as well as the occasional Service Stability System. If you figure out this problem please let me know. I'll also keep you updated on any progress I make. Like you said, these annoying problems ruin the pleasure of driving this car. Thanks and good luck!

UPDATE: I pulled the car in the garage today to clean the ABS main ground (EBTCM/BPMV ground). On a 1999 car, you have to pull the airbox and ECM to get to the ground. It is mounted on the core support, behind the driver's headlight (overall easy to get to). My ground looked good, but I noticed the core support where it welds to the main body rail is getting rusty (which is frustrating, as this car has been every well maintained & regularly washed and waxed since new). Due to the rust, I wonder if this adds additional resistance which causes my EBTCM/BPMV not to ground and act up?

I cleaned the ground, and ran a secondary ground using automotive-grade 14-gage wire and ring terminals from to the right side of the airbox (LF fender inner) to a new hole I drilled. So far today, everything has functioned A-OK. I'll see how it acts this week and updated this post again before I call it cured!

98eldorado-lee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 eldorado etc

Quote Originally Posted by Kaline View Post
    Hello All! Thanks for checking out my post. I have a frustrating Anti Lock Brake (ABS) problem on my 1999 Cadillac STS that I soliciting advice on how to diagnose.

First, a little history about myself & my car. I am a former GM chassis engineer (1998-2008) who worked in vehicle design & development at the GM Tech Center in Warren. I did not work on the development of this vehicle. However, I have access to a GM’s service manuals and some diagnostic tools. My car is a 1999 Cadillac Seville STS that was purchased off-lease by my mother in 2001 (at 24K miles). She drove it daily and had dealer maintained until 2007 when I bought it (102K miles). The car’s full service history is known and it has been very well maintained. It currently has 117K miles.

Starting at 58K miles when my mother owned it, it would occasionally set both the ABS and Traction control light (maybe once a year). It would set an ABS code; usually C1243 Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV) Pump Motor Stalled. My mom would have the dealer look at it, then would read the code, then clear the DTCs and everything was OK. However, at just over 100K miles it started setting the code more often, as bad as once a week. Her dealer thought either the Electronic Brake Traction Control Module (EBTCM) or the BPMV were bad and recommended both components be replaced. This is when my mom bought her current Cadillac SRX and sold the STS to me.

For 6 months (November – April), the ABS and TCS lights never came back on. Everything was fine. Then after April, the light came on occasionally. It come on only at startup, and within 1 mile the light goes out. The strange thing is that when the lights are on, the following items do not work:
    · Heated seats
    · Rear window defogger
    · MagnaSteer
    · Compass on mirror & auto dimming feature
    · The fog light switch does not work. If the lights were off, they stay off, and vice versa.
    · Forced 2nd gear starts (probably due to the TCS light being on).

I started really looking into the issue in August. I borrowed a Tech 2 and retrieved the following codes from the ABS module on 8/22/2008:
    · C1234 LR Wheel Speed Sensor short or open circuit

I cleared all codes, and drove it to see what would reset. On 9/19/2008, the following codes were retrieved via Tech 2:
    · U1016 Loss of PCM communications
    · U1056 Loss of RTD/RSS communications

Thinking the EBTCM is bad due to all the internal faults, I swapped the EBTCM with a used one from a 1998 car (direct replacement according to my local junkyard). All codes were cleared on the vehicle. I still get the lights coming on with increasing frequency. I scanned the car today (12/7/2008) with a Tech 2 and receive the following codes:

· E1040 Loss of EBCM/EBTCM communication

ABS:
    · C1298 Class 2 data communication link malfunction (set twice)

Suspension (RSS):

Since I do not see the EBTCM internal malfunction codes anymore, that leads me to believe the used EBTCM is OK and there is come sort of communication issue with the car. A buddy of mine who worked as an ABS calibrator for Delphi feels it is a a communcation issue, as other Class 2 items (heated seats, rear window defogger, etc) are not working. He stated that BPMVs rarely every go bad. My local dealer (different from my mom's dealer) wants to replace both the EBTCM and BPMV.

Has anyone else run into this? I am running out of ideas on what to do. It is ruining the pleasure of driving this car. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Get out of michigan! I bought my car from there a month ago, I live in florida, i just now got mine running right. just kidding, but I do think that cold weather plays a role in some problems.

mr.jwbrown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS

Man Wow....

I just picked my up 99 sls from my buddy that fixed the exact same issue on mine. The exact same thing. Its an issue with a shortage in a the ignition wiring harness to the fuse box under rear seat. Since you are in royal oak he can fix this for you. He can fix this for you. If you want his info let me know.

Wow, that's crazy that I just got this problem fixed on mine.

He's a good guy, he's worked service in a caddy dealership for the past 25 years.

Send me an email to mr.jwbrown@gmail.com if you want me to get you his info.

IFD158 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado ETC 212K Mi.

i have had issues with traction control/abs lights as well withcodes 1644 and 073 consistently that will periodically reset then come back. all my problems began since re-installing motor after head gasket repair. ive cleaned all visible grounds and even ran a new one from the abs motor. mine is a 96 eldorado etc. where is this interior ground located. i need to check that as well. thanks and good luck

GRRR, my issue was not the ground. The ABS/TCS light came on today and set the usual codes. JW Brown, I sent you an email to find out more about the fix on your SLS. If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.