Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Intermittent brake lights 99 ETC

1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  mg97Eldo 
#1 ·
Picked up a 99 ETC Eldo and it has a intermittent no brake lights but the Center rear window brake light always works, replaced the switch and checked the ground in the left trunk area but no main lights any idea of where else to look.

#2 ·
I'll bet it's still in the wiring which goes to the rear body area. You may have to pull the trunk liner and start checking wires, finishing up by removing the right and left light assemblies and checking the sockets and grounds there.

Be sure to seal the assembly studs with non-hardening sealer before you screw the inner nuts back on. I build up a fillet around the base of each stud and slowly push the assembly into place. That way, the sealer spreads over both outer and inner body panel surfaces.

#6 ·
Somewhere in one of these forums there's a sticky on downloading owner's manuals in PDF. The fuse box cover tops have circuit numbers and fuse values on a printed diagram. (I think you have a fuse box under the driver's side of the back seat, also.....)

The Helm service manuals have harness/connector location diagrams as well as circuit diagrams. You have to do some back-and-forth to find locations, but all the codes are there. (Chilton or Haynes manuals are useless for this sort of diagnosis. The Owner's manual will be leather covered if you find an OEM)

#8 ·
Ok got the user manual, found my second book of the 97 eldo with the wiring harness diagrams...... boy they'll drive you nuts. It shows a S202 where it splits to go to center brake light and another 2 wires to go to each individual tail light. But can't find where this S202

the Blinkers, running tail lights, Flashers all work so there has to be a loose connection at this S202 or the wire from there to the tail lights has to be broken. Make Sense?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.