Switching to Synthetic Oil-Suggestions?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Switching to Synthetic Oil-Suggestions? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Im considering switching from conventional oil to synthetic in my recently acquired 2000 STS, 37,000 miles. The motor was broken ...
    njgeno is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Switching to Synthetic Oil-Suggestions?

Im considering switching from conventional oil to synthetic in my recently acquired 2000 STS, 37,000 miles.

The motor was broken in on conventional but multiple sources say its OK to switch over to full synthetic.

Any suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    No problem in switching, just be ready for increased leaks if you use full synthetic.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    I dont think there is any benefit...... do a search, we went into GREAT detail about this earlier.......

If you arent a racecar driver and you change your oil regularly, no sense in switching!

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Save your money and use the oil that the car was designed to run on! SYNTHETIC IS A WASTE OF MONEY!

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    There shouldn't be any leaks, unless the car has much higher mileage. We've concluded on my synthetic thread that new Corvettes recomend it. I've switched back and forth with a few of my vehicles and didn't REALLY notice much difference. However one reason I'll use it in the winter is because according to Mobil 1, "pumps at

-45 for fast oil supply." If you live in a warmer climate I would not worry too much.

Synthetic IS superior to dino in most (if not all) performance catagories. The question is, does your driving style and/or local climate suggest that it would be the better oil for you. In the testing I've done over the years, I've found that the synthetic's advantage is mainly at the two extreme ends of the temperature scale. It absolutely protects your engine better in extreme temps, and definately provides superior "cold-flow" charateristics.
    Bottom line: The synthetic IS better but a good quality dino WILL do the job for MOST applications for far less money.

Save your money and use the oil that the car was designed to run on! SYNTHETIC IS A WASTE OF MONEY!

Just in case you missed the point!

If you are concerned about cold flow characteristics, just use 5w30 instead of 10w30......

You're SUPPOSED to be using 5w-30.

I know you are supposed to use 5w, but most independent lube stores put in 10w (i guess that is what most car mfgs have called for)....... At least the one I go to does!

It was the idea........ INSTEAD OF USING 10w30, USE 5W30....... MEANING TO USE A THINNER OIL IN THE WINTER!

So if youre supposed to use 5w, use 0w........

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Most new cars recommend 5w 30, but our climate changes and even during the winter it can warm up for a few days at a time. 10w30 is thin enough for winter (for me) but for summer I personally would not use 5w30, too thin on hot days I've heard for the older cars.

Question, for all these little new cars, the manufacturer recommends 5w30 even in the summer. For my car they recommend 10w30 for all season, but you can use 5w30 in winter if you want. I guess my question is what makes my v8 overheat with 5w30 in sumer and not the new Acuras, etc with a 4 banger?

Originally posted by elwesso
    I know you are supposed to use 5w, but most independent lube stores put in 10w ....... At least the one I go to does!
    You mean.....You don't change your own oil?......I'm ashamed of you Wes!

Ok..... I have only done 1 oil change (i have only had the car for about 1500 miles), and my dad agreed to do its first oil change, and have it inspected...... They replaced the belts at the same time......... But I promise, it wont happen again

Originally posted by Ralph
    Most new cars recommend 5w 30, but our climate changes and even during the winter it can warm up for a few days at a time. 10w30 is thin enough for winter (for me) but for summer I personally would not use 5w30, too thin on hot days I've heard for the older cars.

Question, for all these little new cars, the manufacturer recommends 5w30 even in the summer. For my car they recommend 10w30 for all season, but you can use 5w30 in winter if you want. I guess my question is what makes my v8 overheat with 5w30 in sumer and not the new Acuras, etc with a 4 banger?
    The only reason they recommend 5w is because of the EPA and all the federal regulations for gas mileage...... They dont really care if 10w does a better job at protecting the engine, so they use 5w because it gets better gas mileage (supposedly, you probably couldnt really tell anyway)........ But back when your car was made, they didnt really care about the feds (or the regulations werent as strict)..........

I dont think that your car will "overheat" due to the use of thinner oil.........

njgeno is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Well, I live in Missouri. We see cold winters and hot summers so synthetic may not be a bad idea. Another concern: I am away from home for extended periods of time, up to 4-6 weeks. I try to have someone drive the vehicle occassionally but sometimes it is not possible. Will the synthetic help in that situation (extended periods of non-use).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.