Replace Signal Flasher
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Replace Signal Flasher in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The turn signals on my 1997 Eldorado stopped working. The hazard warning works fine, and I can make the turn ...
    TexasBandit is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Replace Signal Flasher

The turn signals on my 1997 Eldorado stopped working. The hazard warning works fine, and I can make the turn signals work manually. It looks like the signal flasher needs replacement. Can someone "walk" me through this process? I read a thread from the forum already, but it did not have any details. Thanks ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

greg-sls is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 SLS

Re: Replace Signal Flasher

If the 97 Eldo is the the same as my 97 SLS, you remove both the foot kick plate (plastic panel above brake pedal) and then the cover plate just below the steering column. You'll need to be able to reach up and find the flasher which is clipped into a hole inside the structure to the left of the column (between the column and the headlight switch). Once you've found it, press up on it and it should unclip and you can then remove the old flasher from its harness. I had to get a new one from a dealer. Reverse the process to install the new one.

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Edit: Greg beat me to the post button ^^^ his advice is probably better...

Finding it should be the only hard part. After that it should be just pull out the old one and put in a new one. Given that I know zip about Eldo wiring I would start by turning on the flashers and localizing on the clicking - it may be under the dash near the dirvers feet or elsewhere. Is the turn signal relay near the flasher relay? You'd think they'd be close but this is a Cadillac. If you can find the hazard relay I'd look around and see if there's a similar looking relay nearby. Hopefully one of the gurus has done this and can give you a better idea where to start.

One question though: do all the bulbs work? If you can make them come on manually have someone verify that both front and back bulbs on each side are working.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Is your 4 way flasher switch on the column or the dash? If it is on the column, then you have 2 flashers I believe. One on each side of the column. The round one is for the 4 ways and the rectangular one is for the turn signals. If your 4 way switch (button) is on the dash, then button is attached to the flasher.

TexasBandit is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the reply Ranger. I'll take a look at the kick panel today. If worse comes to worse, I'll just let my shop replace it when I change oil. My flasher is on the column. With my terrible mechanical ability, I may just wait. I have a bad habit of trying to fix things and end up making them worse!

pauliecadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 XLR, 1996 eldorado

It took me days to find the turn signal flasher. I got a sore back and a big headache, but I found it. It is square black and it is clipped on a metal bracket under the dash to the left of steering colum right above the hood release. Remove the black plastick panel above the break pedal and then the cover under the steering wheel and the metal plate under that. If you look right above the hood release under the dash you will see a metal bracket. It is clipped to that. If you feel around the bracket u will be able to pop it off and there it is. Have fun.....BTW the hazzard flasher is located on the other side of steering wheel colum. It is round and silver. That one you can see. My symtoms were that tail lights would not flash and the signal indicators on the dash never lit.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

This is what you are looking for, is a 10 minutes job to replace.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.