Oil Cooler Leaking?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Oil Cooler Leaking? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hey everyone, new here. I drive a 93 Eldorado Touring Coupe. Had it for about a year now and absolutely ...
    66 elcam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe

Oil Cooler Leaking?

hey everyone, new here. I drive a 93 Eldorado Touring Coupe. Had it for about a year now and absolutely love it. the car has developed what appears to be an oil leak from the oil cooler. did a search, couldn't really find if this is a common problem but it appears to be from the fitting. does an o-ring need to be replaced or something? or is it the line?

attached are some pics

thanks!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Oil Cooler Leaking?

You shouldn't double post.......

That looks like a quick connect or flare setup. One of our resident GM Techs will have to answer this one........With that remote cooler I'd let a shop take responsibility........

Welcome to the Looney Bin !!!

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

That's a quick disconnect w/a plastic lock ring inside the fitting that origionally clamps over the flared end of the hose and locks into the metal fitting, there is a simialr plug going into the passenger side tank of the radiator (where the oil cooler is) on later year N* equipped cars. Luckily for you it's pointed down so when the plastic piece becomes brittle with age and cracks oil squirts down and hopefully far enough away from your tire so you don't go skating. On the later years it's directly in line with the serpentine belt so when it breaks you blow oil all over your belt and toss it at 65mph in the middle of rush hour traffic in Atlanta when it's 90 deg outside

Unsrew the large metal adapter from the cooler, from the top squeeze in the plastic fitting so it'll pop the hose out, go to autozone or advance with the plastic fitting and find a new one. I had to actually buy a whole new metal adapter ($8) to get the right size plastic ring from an LT1 or some such nonsense but they do sell variety packs of rings ($4)...

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

id clean all that off with some brake cleaner 1st and make sure you pinpoint the leak before throwing parts at it
    thats a viable mess and could be coming from the lines itself or maybe the tank...
    at high pressure it has enough force with a small crack to spray everywhere like it has
    check 1st repair once

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    You shouldn't double post.......

That looks like a quick connect or flare setup. One of our resident GM Techs will have to answer this one........With that remote cooler I'd let a shop take responsibility........

Welcome to the Looney Bin !!!
    sorry, when i posted it said i was spam and i didnt know if it worked so a tried it again.

thanks for the welcome.

ill clean it up and try and pin-point the exact leak and see what parts i need.

ok so its not the o-ring. the leak is at the top of the fitting. the actual cooler tube is leaking.. any thoughts? so i just go with an after market cooler, or oem.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Is that an oil cooler or a trans cooler? I'd take STS2003's advice and clean it up good first to pin point it.

Necrosan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe

My 94 Eldorado just developed this issue.
    Gonna try Razes advice in a second and pray it works!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.