94 Eldorado - Code P094 - Please help / Any ideas?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 94 Eldorado - Code P094 - Please help / Any ideas? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 1994 Cadillac Eldorado with 76k miles. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears work great, but when it is ...
    1focus4real is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

94 Eldorado - Code P094 - Please help / Any ideas?

I have a 1994 Cadillac Eldorado with 76k miles.

1st, 2nd and 3rd gears work great, but when it is time to shift into overdrive (45 mph)the Check Engine light pops on and the car goes into limp mode. Feels almost as if the tranny goes out or low tranny fluid, the RPMs are higher just to keep up at around 45-50 Mph. When I stop and wait a few minutes, turn the car back on, the Check Engine light is off and the car runs fine... until I hit around 45Mph again when the same thing happens.

I've cleared all codes and the only one that is current is P094 when the Check Light comes on.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Re: 94 Eldorado - Code P094 - Please help / Any ideas?

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html

P094 (E094) ............ Transaxle Shift "A" Solenoid Problem (Vehicle Speed Sensor)

Not sure what to do about it, but there's the translation.

Right on thanks, I just looked that up too and was just about to reply to my own post with a little more info.

Tranny fluid is good, I'm going to check all the fuses next.

-If I were to replace the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor), would that take care of the problem?

Meaning is the Shift "A" Solenoid within the VSS?

kdcing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado, 4.9L, 200k miles

2 separate pieces....Shift "A" Solenoid within the tranny case...VSS elsewhere (not certain exactly where it is, but it may be located on 1 of the output shafts of the transmission).

Specific troubleshooting steps around page 228-230 @ the following:

http://www.v8mr2.com/reference/Tests_with_codes.pdf

I think the VSS is on the side, but outside of the tranny...

So the P094 code could be triggered by one and/or two possible malfunctions?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The VSS is mounted on top of the right output shaft housing. It is visible through the right wheel well with the car jacked up and the wheel hanging.

firstimecaddi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Seville; 95 FWB

PO94 is the shift solenoids related. They (2 of em) have to be removed and replaced. But there are not too hard to get at. The solenoids break over time b/c of something about the filter hitting against the solenoids. There is a replacement kit available that includes a bracket, and a screw, that prevents further failure. If you are a DIYer it's not too bad a job.

....you might luck out and find a How-To if you do a search.

Right on, thanks a lot to both of you.

So the question is now: which one to replace first? The shift solenoid or the VSS?

The VSS is cheaper and easier to get to, so should I replace that first?

or does this problem sound more like the shift solenoid after all?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Not sure. Maybe someone else will know.

firstimecaddi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Seville; 95 FWB

When I got the PO94 the only thing I changed was the solenoids and that was all. I see you mentioned someting about VCC/VSS I don't know anything about that. The shift solenoids aren't all that expensive, about $60 for the kit. To get to em, you'd have to remove the pan, oil transfer plates and the lower valve body. This would also be a good time to change your transmission fluid.

Ok I ordered the Solenoid kit. Gonna replace that first and keep the post updated with any developments in case others search for this in the future.

The reason I mentioned the VSS is because when I looked up what P094 meant it said : " Transaxle Shift A Solenoid Problem (Vehicle Speed Sensor) "

So I figured it might've been the VSS.

Either way will keep you posted, otherwise feel free to chime in with any other advice. Thanks a million so far.

I think that you are doing the right thing by changing the shift solenoids. From the problem statement, @ around 45mph weird stuff happens (i.e. the Check Engine light pops on and the car goes into limp mode. Feels almost as if the tranny goes out or low tranny fluid, the RPMs are higher just to keep up at around 45-50 Mph.). It sounds like the transmission simply does not get into 4th gear. Additionally, I checked another code list and P094 = Transaxle Shift Solenoid "A" Problem....it does not mention the VSS issue. (I have, however, seen the list that you referred to, which indicates both the Shift Solenoid & VSS.....which description is more correct??....[shrug shoulders])

In any case, a few other troubleshooting tips:
    1. When in PCM Diagnostics, monitor the "Degrees F" icon on the HVAC readout. At around 42-45mph, the PCM should command the trans to shift into 4th gear. The "Degrees F" should illuminate to show that the trans got into 4th. On your car, "Degrees C" will likely stay illuminated indicating that it is still in 3rd.

2. Does the speed indicated on the Speedo seem correct? If yes, then the VSS is likely ok as I believe the Speedo is fed data from the VSS. As a double-check, see if the speed indicated in Diagnostics (i.e. PCM Data? => PD12) is about the same as the speed indicated on the speed.....if they match - and if the indicated speeds seem correct to the car's actual speed - then the VSS is likely ok.

3. The shift solenoids can be excercised manually via the PCM Outputs in the Diagnostics (PO10 = Shift Solenoid A, PO11 = Shift Solenoid B). The PCM Output function is supposed to trigger the solenoids "On" and "Off" every 4 seconds. I haven't used the function myself, but I believe if you hear a click from inside the trans every 4 seconds, then the solenoid is firing correctly. Your B solenoid appears to be working, so test B 1st to determine what a "good" solenoid sounds like.

Finally, if/when you change the solenoids, be sure to install the "L" bracket that comes w/ the kit. In the last 6-9 months, somebody had a writeup about NOT installing the "L" bracket and some problem happened upon startup after the solenoid replacement (...if memory serves me correctly, I recall that there was a clunk at startup and then the trans would not shift correctly because the solenoids popped out of place.)

Btw...the information above ^^^^ is from a troubleshooting guide for a '95 Northstar....it should apply to your engine, but there may be some differences.

frederii is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 eldoado

Make sure you use the bracket. I did mine yesterday and still get a P029 code.
    I did not know where it went, or if it was needed.
    Do I need to put it in? I went 190,000 without it. I am wondering if it could be the PCM,
    or wire harness?

Heart-of-Ohio is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 ETC. 66 Impala 427 Sport Coupe

I had this problem in April when I bought my 95 eldo. It would not shift from 3rd to 4th. Then a few weeks later the tranny would not shift from 2nd to 3rd.

I purchased the solenoid kit.

I completed the solenoids A & B project a few weeks ago. I was getting a P094 code along with others. The new solenoids fixed the problem.

I took 2 days to install the solenoids. The first day I removed the tranny pan and let it drain over night. The next day I remove the valve body, removed the solenoids and installed the new ones. I used the instructions I found here to complete the job. (This job could only take a few hours, 2 to 4.)

To me it sounds like the solenoid kit would fix your problem.

Good Luck

I just realized that this is an old post. LOL

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.