Upper radiator hose hitting w-pump belt
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Upper radiator hose hitting w-pump belt in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I did a visual last night and it appears the hose is worn about half of the way through. I ...
    derone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac STS

Upper radiator hose hitting w-pump belt

I did a visual last night and it appears the hose is worn about half of the way through. I know the car had front-damage b4 I bought it...is there a bracket or something to hold the upper radiator hose away from the belt/pulley? If anyone has pics on it that would help. I'm thinking of fabbing a bracket out of some 2" black pvc pipe sliced lengthwise to tie-wrap the hose/pvc to the frame. Anyone?
    Doug

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Upper radiator hose hitting w-pump belt

The black plastic sight panel that covers the whole top of the radiator area has a 2 1/2" hooked groove under the length of the rear lip. The top hose pops up into the groove. Just hook your fingers around under the hose and snap it into the groove. The part number for the panel is 25715897, $20; for the retainer rivets (lift the center "screw" and pull the retainer straight out...) 25695687 $4/ bag of 10.

derone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac STS

Hey thanks again...you know I had that cover shield off to reposition one of the headlights and I never saw the hooked groove...guess I really wasn't looking for it either. My bust...I should have been paying attention. Oh well, another $20 for a new hose.
    Doug

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

That happened to me as well. Replaced the water pump pulley and didn't put the hose back in that groove. New hose was next to avoid leaks!

Midnight Storm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS Seville

Hello. I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. I changed out my headlights and put the hose behind the cover panel and sure enough 1 hour later the pump cut into my hose. I didn't notice till the temp gauge needle showed it being hot.

My question is, when I go to replace this hose do I need to drain or replace any fluid? There appears to be no fluid inside the hose right now with the engine off. At some point during my drive some fluid came out. It's brown/red in color.

Thanks in advance.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

There should be coolant in the hose and you'll have to add some. May as well do a drain and refill at this point. The color you see is from the cooling system supplement aka sealant tabs. It makes Dex look a bit muddy.

Midnight Storm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS Seville

There was no fluid in the hose because there was no coolant at all. And to think I drove the car like this. I'm freaking out a bit. I can only hope no damage was done in the hour I drove the car without fluid. Time will tell, but I think I dodged a bullet.

New hose went on, it was not 100% the same shape as the hose that came off the car, but they are the same part number, 25262X. I guess over time the hose settles down a bit.

New coolent is in.

I can cross step 2 off the list. Only about 100 items to go. Ah, the fun of buying a new car to fix up.

Thanks again for your help, even though I didn't need to follow those steps.

Oh, what is the best way to remove the dried dexacool that spilled out?

Oh, what is the best way to remove the dried dexacool that spilled out?
    Flush it with a garden hose.

Markosan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado ETC

I have had my 96 Eldorado ETC (115,000) for a week. I let the Valvoline guys do a coolant flush prior to my trip across the turnpike. 2 hours in I start heating up. The upper hose was laying against the pump belt, worn through and spraying. I limped on, taped the hose and stopped to refill coolant without letting it get too hot. Valvoline didn't tuck the hose, do you think they should or can be held liable??

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

They're at fault............ IF you can prove the hose was properly in the channel BEFORE you took the car in for service.

NEVER let ANY Oil Doodle do any sort of service on a car - other than wash the windshield. Too many horror stories.

Markosan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado ETC

Thanks, I will need to grow up here pretty quick. I called Valvoline and they asked me to stop in tomorrow so they can square up. I was clear about the hose tape and 6 gallons of coolant (turnpike price) I ran through it. And also how I made it to the, ouch, Caddy dealer in Toledo this morning. There they threw a new hose and checked everything ($130.) I Kept the old hose. Dealer receipt states the hose wasn't re-installed properly and I do have a pic of the engine pre-doodle with the hose where it should be. Let's see: Refund on the flush, the coolant and dealer repair, I have tonight to dream about a $300 refund from Valvoline. I'll let you know how many $5 off coupons this actually translates to. On the bright side, I ran the Eldo back home tonight 2.5 hours non-stop at 70-90 mph and it was at 12 o'clock and just a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Markosan View Post
    Valvoline didn't tuck the hose, do you think they should or can be held liable??
    Damn straight they are. You have all the evidence. DO NOT give up and walk away if they balk. Stand your ground and demand restitution. NOT coupons. If they refuse, the threat of legal action and a letter to the BBB will probably change their minds. If not, a letter from a lawyer probably will.

X-Hibition is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Eldordo ETC Collector's Edition

I'm late to the party and have no intention of hijacking but how does the hose get past the dip-stick to the water pump belt? Mine doesn't look like it could. And as far a the hook, channel, or what ever the hose is supposed to ride in, I don't have that. The casting number on my shield is 25665457 and it has nothing on the bottom or evidence of anything that has snapped off. Does someone have a picture?

The Eldo might be a little different. Once slated for extinction it became a bastard child and never got any up grades.

X-Hibition is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Eldordo ETC Collector's Edition

I can live with that, but how does the upper hose get past the dip-stick? That wouldn't have changed.

I would still like to see the black plastic sight panel to spot the other differences between my Eldo and the Seville version.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.