2000 SLS "Thinks" it's in gear after placing in Park
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2000 SLS "Thinks" it's in gear after placing in Park in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi All: New to the Forums, as I finally got my Caddy after years of dreaming. Anyway, the dreams have ...
    bjschaner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2000 SLS "Thinks" it's in gear after placing in Park

Hi All:

New to the Forums, as I finally got my Caddy after years of dreaming.

Anyway, the dreams have turned to nightmares...recently, the car has become an electrical nightmare, of which I've corrected most of. (used, but got a great deal) Anyway, I've run into an issue where the car 'thinks' it's in gear after I place the shift handle into Park. If I place the car back in gear, it bangs pretty hard when placed in drive, and shifts very hard through each gear. Also, on the IP, the PRND321 under the digital speed display 'loses' the hash mark that shows what gear you're in. If you put the car in park at this point and turn it off, you won't restart it again, unless you did like I did, and broke the plastic housing off the starting relay and start it 'manually'.

I know I have issues with the underhood fuse block, but the stealership wants a cool 565 bucks for it, and I promptly got one from a junkyard for 100 bucks. My question- should I replace the shifter assembly also ? Is there a 'position switch' on the shifter stalk that 'tells' the computer what gear the car is in ? Also, if you place the car in park, the daytime running lights stay on. And I found that if I jiggle with the #13 (I think) fuse on the underhood fuse block, I can 'reset' this problem. But when I start moving the shift handle around, voila, the problem returns.

FYI< I ran my code scanner across it came up with the codes related to the "D-3 Postion, 2-1 Postion" etc, etc. on it.

Any feedback appreciated, thanks in advance !

2000 Seville SLS With "Y" in the VIN Code

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Crown Vic Owner is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 sls

Re: 2000 SLS "Thinks" it's in gear after placing in Park

maybe the shifter is just acting stupid and blowing fuses?

Our shifters are completely electronic, right?

JC316 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS *Lord Vadar*

Sounds like the position switch on the transmission is goofed. Has anyone ever taken it off? It's easy to put it back on wrong.

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

There is a set of switches that detect which gear the selector is in and you can actually get a code that detects if the transmission is in a different gear than the transmission is in. I believe your problem might be in the shifter position detection switches, in particular the park switch may not be working so it doesn't think you shifted it back into park. Do you have a FSM?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

No, the shifter is not completely electronic. The desired gear or sequence is set by a cable and arm connected to the transmission and the position switches and shift algorithms take over from there. Sort of "mechano-electric".

There was a thread about this six months ago.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

nope
    my 03 STS had the same problem
    it was solved by 1st adjusting the shift linkage (solved the problem for about a week)
    then adjusting the cable (lasted not an hour)
    end fix was the transmission fluid pressure switch, not fun, not cheap, requires the valve body in the tranny to be dropped, my GMPP covered it though....

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

My guess would be the PRNDL switch is failed or needs adjustment. I would not touch it without a FSM. Always start diagnostics by pulling the DTC's.

Thanks for the feedback so far- I"m going to replace the front fuse block tomorrow (it needs replaced anyhow) and I picked up a new shfter assembly from a scrapyard because the stealership wanted 286.00 for that....got mine for 65....

Ranger- you mentioned a PRNDL switch...where is this located ?

I was thinking of my '92 (4T60E). Just went out and checked my '03 (4T80E) and I don't see one. It may be internal from what I can see.

I've been doing some research on Alldatadiy.com (bought a year of service manuals for the car) and now I'm wondering if it's not an "INTERNAL MODE SWITCH" ???

What's bothering me is that a few months ago, it started this 'hard shifting' and wouldn't start, and out of frustration I slammed the underhood fuse block and it started....no problems for over two months, and now out of blue it showed up again, and got bad fast. Oddly, if everything was working well, and then the problem occured (for instance, I park the car and put it into Park) and the 'hashmark' under the PRND321 dissapeared- if I was to leave the engine run and go out and pull the fuse for the "transmission" under the hood fuse block and plug it back in, then it would be fine, except I would NOW have the DTC. At any rate, it started giving me troubles, and now it doesn't seem that I can jimmy-rig it by playing with the fuse.

Does this shed any more light ? Any other ideas guys ?

FYI:

Here are some of the codes I've been able to pull off it. Sorry, I'm trying to go from memory, because it's cold here and the girlfreind would probably throw something at me if I went outside to "work on the damn car" again.

DTC P1825
    Internal Mode Switch - Invalid Range

DTC P1842
    1-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Low Voltage

DTC P1845
    2-3 Shift Solenoid Circuit Low Voltage

DTC P1860
    TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Electrical

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

The profusion of codes may be caused by having pulled the fuse. I would clear them and see which ones return with constant power. I would also hunt down the switch that tells the PCM what gear the selector is in and find out if it is working correctly since the message that you're in Park doesn't seem to be getting through. I would suspect that the hash mark disappearing means its getting NO signal for the shifter position. I cannot find your DTCs in my 99 FSM P-codes do not go up that high for me.

What's bothering me is that a few months ago, it started this 'hard shifting' and wouldn't start, and out of frustration I slammed the underhood fuse block and it started....no problems for over two months, and now out of blue it showed up again
    Is there any corrosion or oxidation on the fuse block contacts and are they tight?

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Jesus doesnt ANYONE listen
    my car did the same thing
    i said what to replace
    heres my vid of the car doing EXACTLY what you said
    stop wasting your money buying a shifter and attempting to adjust the linkage
    its the TRANNY FLUID PRESSURE SWITCH
    subject done
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_vJHc9PMgc

why ask for help, the answeres given, then ignore it, and continue to ask?

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

^^ Yes, that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.