Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Sourcing a good reman 4.5

608 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  codewize 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok here's my dilemma.

I have my 89 STS. I took in to have some work done. This is a reputable mechanic that I work with frequently, not a dealer.

I took the car over to have some front end work done, ball joints, strut-rod bushings, stuff like that. I also wanted to have the intake gasket done.

Well turns out the oil pan has a hole in it, we need steering hoses and trans lines. So it's staring to look like a pretty substantial bill on a car with 214k miles on it.

So I'm wondering if it's not just cheaper to get a new engine.

#2 ·
Even if you find another engine, your not gonna get those lines in most cases unless you go to a yard where you can pull it all. In addition to still having to buy all those lines, your gonna pay for the engine pull/swap.

I don't know what the oil pan entails but if the engine did have to be pulled to change it, for some strange reason, then I could see where your coming from. If the engine isn't broke though, don't fix it.

#3 ·
I guess you're right, most of the money is hoses and stuff that doesn't come with the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.