Cadillac Owners Forum banner

03 Seville SLS running HOT, dealer run around!!!

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  bam_bam_4 
#1 ·
I hope you guys can help me here ... I took my 03 SLS back to the dealership this afternoon because it was running really hot, in my opnion... The gauge was a little past the 3/4 mark. I feel that it is running too hot, and from what I have read here, the needle should never move past the 12:00 Position ... Can anyone help me out here .. My service advisor told me that the 3/4 position is the 230 degree point, and the 12:00 is the 200 degree point ...

The details on the car is as follows .... It starts to heat up when going uphill and running between 1500 and 2000 RPM ...

I asked my service advisor to do a block test and ensure the the head gasket is ok ...

Thx ...

#3 ·
It definitely should NOT be running that hot. It should stay steady on the center notch or maybe a tick above at all times.

I think the HG should be okay at the temperature you described, and hopefully the overheating solution is as simple as a stuck thermostat or waterpump.

#4 ·
When I went to pick up the vehicle today they told me that they did a block test and a pressure test and it all checked out ok ... I suggested to them that the thermostat might be stuck, however, they told me that it didn't stick for them when they tested it ... However, I also found out that they only drove it one mile :( .... Needless to say I got the service manager involved in this one ...

They continue to tell me that the car is running normal at 3/4 mark, They also told me that that is about the 230 degree point and that is when the second fan turns on ....

I also told them that when starting the vehicle in the morning, within 30 seconds the temp gauge is at the halfway mark .....

I am starting to pull my hair out on this one, I know it is not right, but they insist it is ... Has anyone been through this .. ? ..

#15 ·
these repair shops may do an honest pressure test, but what they DON'T do is leave the car hooked up long enough. I had an issue with overheating (left stranded couple times), but they always told me they couldn't find anything. Sometimes the coolant leak will show itself after more than an hour. To my knowledge they don't leave the pressure hose hooked up very long. A guy told me "man, last time we checked your hose and heads nothing was out of sync, but when we left it hooked up and blasted the cooling system, it leaked all over the place". fix was very inexpensive, just a rusted hose. Not saying this is your problem, but you should give more specific instructions to your mechanic.....especially if you take your car to them alllllll the time..

#10 ·
The dealer just did a flush on it last month, about 2K miles ago ... The car now only has 38K miles on it! ...
3/4 is NOT normal. Check the usual items. Does the cap hold pressure? Is the purge line clear? Is the tensioner providing enough tension? Is the coolant mix 50/50? Is the radiator clogged? Is the condenser loaded with dead bugs? Are the cooling fans working?

#11 ·
The last time I checked which was before I brought it in, the path was clear, everything looked to be ok ... I had that dealer do an inspection on the cooling system, and it checked out, however, I should look at the source! ...

Thanks for that picture Ranger ... That is exactly what I need! ... I will keep you posted, I should hear from them today, now they have had my car a total of 7 days on this trip!

#12 ·
Re:*UPDATE* 03 Seville SLS running HOT, dealer run around!!!

The dealer called me yesterday to tell me that the car was finished and that they couldn't duplicate any problems with the temp. When I went to pick it up, I had a SnapOn OBD II diags tool with me. I went for a drive and got the temp up to 242 almost to the 3/4 mark, not as hot this time! ...

City driving would stay about 228. I went back to the dealer, talked to the service manager again and showed him, while it was at idle it was 228, we went for a drive in another car and it never went above 205!!!!

At this point he tells me that my car has already had 2 water pumps put on it (another dealer before I owned) and he has no idea what to do to the car! :bomb:

He told me he has block tested it, checked the fans, checked the relays, pressure tested it and everything seems to be ok ... Personally I think its got a small leak in the head gasket! Any thoughts ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.