03 SLS Cabin Air Filter - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 03 SLS Cabin Air Filter in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by rodnok01;12327105. Also I think the systems are [I tuned for the resistance of a filter[/I], although a ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap on big wheels
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 F150 SuperCab 4x4

Re: 03 SLS Cabin Air Filter

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01;12327105. Also I think the systems are [I
    tuned for the resistance of a filter[/I], although a lot of people just leave them out.
    Tuned how ? I took mine out in 2006 and have had no - none, nada, problems since............ BUT the car is garaged and I drive mostly open highway and rural areas.

Closet Boy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SLS

I decided to install a filter after considering my present environmental conditions. In addition, I found a great eBay deal for a NOS AC Delco CF101, $12.95 (incl. shipping).

Today, after 2 attempts, I successfully installed the filter. As advised by others, I would strongly recommend removing the accelerator pedal and lubricating the frame top/bottoms of the filters. Also, as you slide the filter in, the lower frame may catch on the edge of the evap housing unit....if so, gently push up to get over the edge.

BTW, on my 1st attempt, I did temporarily lose a filter. I used an extendable mirror to see where it went. Found the filter stuck high above. Barely could touch the end tab with my middle finger. I was able to bring it down by applying super weatherstrip adhesive on tip of finger, and then gluing myself to tab, pulling it down. I was very fortunate to have been able to salvage the filter without any harm.

Thank you for everyone's info and advice. BTW, If anyone needs help with their CF install in the CLE area, let me know.

Edmonton122 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS

So after reading the forums and having the crap scared out of me as to how difficult this process is, I finally decided to undertake the task.

First, pull down and off the white tab. That's the cover for the air filters.
    Second, peel off the tape that's there and you'll be left with two plastic tabs, one at the top, one at the bottom. Grab some pliers and pull on the bottom one. It's attached to the bottom of the first (bottom) filter. With some encouragement, it'll pull out. The next filter will drop into it's position, repeat the step, and finally, the third filter will drop into place. Pull it out too.

The filters are stacked on top of each other, the first one you see is the bottom filter.

Take a shop vac and suck out all the crap. There'll be lots of it.

As per a lot of people's suggestions, I didn't bother putting new filters in. I just put the white cover back in place and called it a day.

I now have a LOT more air flow in the car.

And, the whole process took me about ten minutes. I didn't undo anything, left the gas pedal connected, didn't remove any panels, nothing.

GOOD LUCK!!
    Oh, and if you have more than 70k miles on your car, DO THIS NOW!!! LOL
    TenchiFreak5 likes this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap on big wheels
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 F150 SuperCab 4x4

FWIW, I removed the CAF in my car in early 2006 and never installed a new one. Last fall I opened the port and vacuumed out the cavity - because my car is garaged and the outer air inlet grille/screens at the base of the windshield are intact there was nothing in there anyway.

No, it makes no difference in smells or whatever. BUT the HVAC system has plenty of airflow ............ remember: We have flow-through ventilation. No matter what the various door and blower functions are set to, there is always airflow through the car. The outlet vents are down in the lower rear fenderwell inner quarter panels. Flapper vents.
    Attached Images

DsharK is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville SLS, 2000 Intrigue (short*)

I had a passing thought of doing this..... whoops, nevermind there it went....!!

Photochop is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Diamond White '03 STS

Removed the old one(s) last night in my '03 STS. Pretty straight forward, find white pull tab way up between the accelerator pedal rod and firewall, pull tab and cover loose/off. Find first filter tab and tug on it, mine was in there very tight and I ended up using a pair of pliers to tug it out. Tried that on the 2nd one when it fell in place and it broke the tab off. Ended up having to use a small philips head screw driver to poke the bottom of the front side edge putting a hole in the edge of the filter housing toward the element. After about 10 mins of trying it finally pulled out enough to grab ahold of and tug out. The 3rd filter came out easily by the tab. This was pretty late last night, tonight I'm going to vacuum it out and cover it back up. I did notice some dirt/grime/grass near the trap door cover on the floorboard area before the carpet, proof the system wasn't air tight in this area. I may try and wrap some sort of tape around the connection to help seal it off, and pull it off to vacuum inside every summer just to make sure.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.