03 SLS Cabin Air Filter - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 03 SLS Cabin Air Filter in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hmm, got mine out with ease. Putting it back in might be a different story. Mine were DIRTY as hell, ...
    JC316 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS *Lord Vadar*

Re: 03 SLS Cabin Air Filter

Hmm, got mine out with ease. Putting it back in might be a different story. Mine were DIRTY as hell, so I used the old pressure washing technique(Water hose and Compressed air) and now they are clean as a whistle.

mikekilpatrick is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Seville STS

Does anyone have the GM part number for the replacement filter? You can get it cheaper at www.gmpartsdirect.com, if they don't kill you with crazy shipping costs...

I don't know about the race, with regards to taking out the seat and removing the gas pedal. I can tell you that I am a six foot two guy and having that stinking seat out makes life A GREAT DEAL easier on ones back! Seat has two bolts in the back, like 3 wiring connectors to disconnect and then it lifts up and back. Probably about 10-15 minutes work and another 5-10 for the gas pedal. Also gives you a chance to clean all of those McDonalds fries, loose change and other junk that tends to gather under the seat. I also used a little carpet cleaner to clean up some food stains. My feeling is, take the pedal out, take the seat out and make your life easy for the replacement! Especially since you should really change it out once a year, I know they say every 15k, but it builds up junk fast!

Mike

Eric is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 SLS

GM part no 52482840.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
    Does anyone have the GM part number for the replacement filter? You can get it cheaper at www.gmpartsdirect.com, if they don't kill you with crazy shipping costs...

I don't know about the race, with regards to taking out the seat and removing the gas pedal. I can tell you that I am a six foot two guy and having that stinking seat out makes life A GREAT DEAL easier on ones back! Seat has two bolts in the back, like 3 wiring connectors to disconnect and then it lifts up and back. Probably about 10-15 minutes work and another 5-10 for the gas pedal. Also gives you a chance to clean all of those McDonalds fries, loose change and other junk that tends to gather under the seat. I also used a little carpet cleaner to clean up some food stains. My feeling is, take the pedal out, take the seat out and make your life easy for the replacement! Especially since you should really change it out once a year, I know they say every 15k, but it builds up junk fast!

Mike
    Hehe, I am 6 foot and I took changed mine in 30 minutes without taking anything out.

mikekilpatrick is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Seville STS

Well, you are one of the lucky ones! Most of us wrench our backs on that stinking project and run into a crud load of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
    Well, you are one of the lucky ones! Most of us wrench our backs on that stinking project and run into a crud load of problems.
    I can see how it COULD be a problem and I have to tell you, I am a skinny 6 foot, with pretty skinny arms.

I changed a power brake booster on an 88 silverado, so I know how to keep myself calm and not irritated over snags.

boxhalr188 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Question Re: 03 SLS Cabin Air Filter

I think this has been answered before but does the '98 Eldorado ESC have the cabin air filter? I hope not after reading some of the fun others have had with it. Thanks

jkt1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 seville sts

Ive had my 03 sts for under a year an have been pondering trying this, just so I dont have to bother my friend/mechanic. but I think i may get him to try as im 6'2 260 and paralyzed on my Left side.

But I have found the fram filter http://www.amazon.com/FCF8391A-Fresh...I12UKMLA4Z42PE , http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jk2g9Zajdwn

Yaemish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville, 04 SRX
    I think I got a little more space by dropping the plastic part that is under the wheel. Its a pain, but if you put each part in carefully and slide the, together slowly... they go in easily. Just be patient. The hardest part is getting your body comfortable for the work. You will also want to have all the prices laid on on the floor so that you dont have to get back out to get the next part.

Closet Boy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SLS

Today, I plan to take on this challenge. After inspecting removed filters, I will decide to replace or run without. It will depend on how much crap I find.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

A lot of your decision rests upon where you park the car. If it is garaged, car ported or (horrors) parked in the wide open spaces, a cabin air filter really doesn't do much. If the car is parked under or near large trees or shrubbery, then the filter will stop a ton of nasties from working their way into the HVAC intake.

The grille and screening over the cowl (windshield base) must be intact. That's the first line of debris defense.

Charcoal filter and odors ?? How often do you drive with the windows/sunroof (if equipped) open ? Our cars have flow-through ventilation: Even with the HVAC syst[em OFF, outside air moves through the car - the outside air door remains open, the exit vents are 2 flapper valves down low, under the trunk carpeting, in the lower part of each rear fenderwell. Even in RECIRC there is always a small amount of outside air allowed into the system.

Once you get the thing removed, that also will have a bearing on whether or not you put another one in .............Enjoy !

Closet Boy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SLS

Thanks Master Chief. I pulled the filters out in several minutes. The filters were dirty. Not certain if they are original. See pic below...

I did not do anything extraordinary other than finding a comfortable position to access and work the area. Rolling around in the driver's footwell area, my shoulder kept bumping the trunk and gas flap buttons. No surprises. It was everything that I expected. I am very grateful for the info supplied on this procedure by our fellow Members.

For time being, I'm going filter less; however, I will monitor the area from time to time.

Going back in. Have much cleaning to do. As many encountered, there were leaves and other materials present. Soon after, as advised, I will inspect the intake area.

Thank you.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

That one is particularly nasty. If the pull tabs had strips of sticky tape on them, that's original equipment. Wait 'till you find one with mouse nest - babies and all. Been there, done that.

Careful work with a vacuum extender tip - the A/C evaporator coil is right there.

Start the engine, put the system in VENTS with A/C OFF. Run the fan up to high speed. Duck.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Wish I would have taken pic of my 99 PA filter when I changed it the first time...yours is spotless compared to that one. I kept filters in as they were cheap and I think it actually kept the inside somewhat cleaner. Also I think the systems are tuned for the resistance of a filter, although a lot of people just leave them out. I wish my 98 had on.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Those look very similar to the ones I yanked out of my daughters '04. It is going filterless as well, not because of the cost, but because they are such a PITA to reinstall.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.