V-Series Grille - Eldorado How-To
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, V-Series Grille - Eldorado How-To in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; O.K. I know it's been awhile since I promised to start a new thread about how to make your own ...
    GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

V-Series Grille - Eldorado How-To

O.K. I know it's been awhile since I promised to start a new thread about how to make your own V-grille for 96-2002 Eldorado. First, I specify those years because I have a 96 and after some research found out the grille is quite different on the 92-95s. On the 96 and newer the Center section is removable via 6 snap-in tabs. The pre-96 models have a one piece grille which requires cutting out the center and then creating your own reinforcing for the surround. I had considered doing this because those years had chrome surrounds on some models and that's the look I wanted as opposed to the body color surround that came with my car.

With that as the background, the actual build for my car wasn't that bad.

Parts: Existing 96-2002 grille surround and insert
    CTS-V grille
    6 stainless steel screws, nuts, & washers

Tools: handheld hydraulic cutting wheel
    Large vise
    (2) 24" 2x4
    rubber mallet
    hammer
    Screwdriver
    Socket Wrench
    Open-End Wrench
    Electric Sander

The original grille is easily removed by removing the eight bolts (6 along the top, two on arms) inside the surround. Before pulling the grille off the hood, disconnect the hood latch handle. When removing the grille, be careful not to drag the threads on the holes in the hood. Once the complete assembly is off the car, use the screwdriver to unseat the 8 tabs holding the insert in place.

Not unlike LBWD's drawing of the comparison for the two STS grilles, the shapes of the CTS vs Eldo are different enough to require reshaping at least 75% of the grille for it to fit in the Eldo surround. Since my sister has an CTS, I popped out the insert from my Eldo and laid it against her grille to compare the sizes. The CTS grille is only slightly larger (appx 1" top and bottom while 2.8" on the sides) than the opening for the Eldorado. The sweep of the CTS is less than that of the Eldo, so I knew I had to roll it cause the indentation for the wreath and shield wouldn't allow for a crisp bend down the centerline. To determine how much to cut and where to bend I used my insert as a template.

You'll notice on my grille that the wreath and shield are not centered top to bottom. This was done as a conscious decision cause I'm lazy. After removing all the excess CTS hardware from the grille, I noticed the mesh had five small metal plates welded to it for mounting points. One of which was 3" long at the top dead center of the grille. Since I had no intentions of doing any welding, I decided to leave the top center of the grille intact and shape it using as much of the existing top fold as possible. Based on the above assumptions, I laid the CTS grille face down, clamped the Eldo insert tightly against the top centerpoint of the CTS grille and using a black marker drew an outline of the insert directly on the mesh. I then drew another outline 1" outside the original. This gave me my apexes for my bends and an outline for excess to be cut away.

I used the cutting wheel to cut down the CTS grille. Since this was going to be irreversible I took my time, compared my outline to my template several times during my breaks from cutting. The cutting was tough going. Unlike cutting wood or soft solid metal, cutting wire mesh along a line other than perpendicular is a slow process. Go too fast and the metal starts glowing red hot, too slow and the cutting wheel binds. Every two or three inches, I bent the excess away from the cutting area to keep from burning or cutting myself with the freshly cut edges.

Once the cutting was complete, I was ready to begin folding and shaping the mesh to fit my surround. I initially started working the metal just on the vise, but quickly realized the folds would be too sharp. So I cut down a 2x4 into two 24" sections and held the grill in the vise sandwiched between the 2x4s. I quickly realized that if I lined up my marking for the fold line just above one of the 2x4s, I could hammer the fold in a straight line the length of the 2x4 and it made a more rounded fold. In order to make everything match up, I test fit the mesh several times while working the sides and corners with the mallet.

For the surround, I wanted to cut out its 4 verticle bars and all the backplane that held the original insert for a clean opening, but after experimenting with a 94 Eldo grille I realized all of that was necessary for rigidity. So I decided I could paint those sections with a flat black and it would virtually disappear against the black radiator. By using my existing insert as a template when it came time to fit the mesh grille into the surround, I realized it would be a tight fit. This actually worked out well because it forced me to compress the mesh to get it in which made the whole structure stronger, made the mesh stand out more, and masked those areas where the bends in the corners weren't true.

After I assured myself all the folds would fit into the surround I had to go back over some sections to trim the excess and then sanded all the cut wires smooth to prevent cutting into the surround. During the final test fit I marked the surround for my mounting screws. The top center plate that I left intact was easy, the other five holes I located two on the top and three on the bottom. For strength I looked for evenly spaced sections of the grille where the screws would protrude inside a diamond so the washers would press down on at least two wires. Because of the design of the surround the inner wall has just enough room to get a small nut in and hold with an open end wrench. I drilled the six holes just big enough for the screws to fit and with the washers against the grille tightened them down.

The grille & Surround then mount back on the hood, reconnect the hood latch and then you're done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: V-Series Grille - Eldorado How-To

As far as chroming the surround, I tried to do it myself at first. How hard could it be to rough the original surface and spray on a few coats of paint. Boy was I wrong! NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CHROME PAINT!!!!!! I tried three times with three different products, all with the same result - the "chrome" paint dulled as soon as you put on the clearcoat. The last product I got directly from the Dupli-color regional rep (complete with prep instructions and all tools and equipment, same result). So I had to do a lotta searching to find someone to chrome the plastic surround. There are probably four places in the US that can do it. I contacted Ron Burnette at Metal Essense (WWW.Metalessenceinc.com) since he was closest to me. And he did an outstanding job (especially since he had to clean up after my screw-ups with all the paint and the price was more than reasonable).
    Attached Images

More Pics
    Attached Images

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

very nice

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSTS2003 View Post
    very nice
    Thanks. Next project is wrap around rear wing.
    Attached Images

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

I like the grille, man.... nice job.

On the spoiler, why the Trans Am GTA spoiler???

Go to TexasDAR.com and order the right spoiler...

But the grille... Nice job.

Yaemish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville, 04 SRX

That looks awesome! Great job! Personally, I'd not add the wing. I love the lines on the Eldorado as is, the wing may ruin it.

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

Nice job GizmoQ, need some measurements if you would be so kind, can you measure the spacing between wires (open square size) and the thickness of the wire?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    Nice job GizmoQ, need some measurements if you would be so kind, can you measure the spacing between wires (open square size) and the thickness of the wire?

Thanks!
    Thanx,

O.K. This is not an exact micrometer measure and my grille is OEM GM part so you could get the measurement at any dealership. Looks like the box is just under 3/8 of an inch or 8mm and the wire is about 1.5mm.

andrew99eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

wow great job. That grille looks great!

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Send pics of fuzzy dice, curb feelers, continental kit, skirts, moon hub caps, and cat with lighted eyes on rear shelf.

Don't worry about fox tails on antenna; they are now illegal.

Just think of all the beer and pizza you coulda bought!!

(Grill looks good.)

SL1CK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

post pics of entire car

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

I think I've found a way to do this for less than $100 with a bit of extra labor Wouldn't be chrome, but polished stainless, could prolly get it chromed for cheap though...

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    I think I've found a way to do this for less than $100 with a bit of extra labor Wouldn't be chrome, but polished stainless, could prolly get it chromed for cheap though...
    This reminds me of something I forgot to mention. For those of you interested in the Sports Grille look, you can buy the CTS grille screen off ebay and install it behind your grille insert. Don't know how that would look, but I'm sure it would be easier and cheaper mod than mine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.