PO39 Trouble Code
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, PO39 Trouble Code in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey, today i got the "Code PO39" and the service vehicle soon light. After I turned the engine off though, ...
    queensbridge41 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

PO39 Trouble Code

Hey, today i got the "Code PO39" and the service vehicle soon light. After I turned the engine off though, it hasn't come back on and it's "P039 History" now...I looked up the code and it said "TCC engagement problem", does anybody know what this means??? thanx!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    Does anybody know what that means?

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    I am by NO MEANS a transmission expert but this code is pointing to the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) and "I believe" the code is a very general code and can be pointing to anything from a slipping clutch to a mechanically stuck clutch. There are many things that could be causing the code. It's obviously an intermittent problem so it may be a wiring connection, or even a TPS or brake switch problem. As I recall, the code sets when the PCM doesn't see the proper RPM change when the TCC engages/dis-engages.

cobrayankee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Hope this helps....
    http://caddyinfo.netgetgoing.com/howtop039.htm

Hey thanx alot cobra! does anybody know where I can get this PROM chip?? is it just at my local GM dealer? or can I oder it online somewhere? thanx!

One note,
    Anyone with a certain driveability concern SHOULD consult a service bulletin list and/or visit the dealer service department to see if there is an updated chip and/or PCM flash that addresses thier concern(s).
    The dealer has SEVERAL different ECM chip/PCM flashes available to them to address a WIDE variety of driveability issues. You can basically look at a list of available updates for your particular car and choose one and have it installed.

One word of caution: Some updated chips/re-flashes CAN require trade-offs in other performance parameters. In other words, you MAY be able to cure one issue but it COULD create another issue.
    You have to understand that ECM/PCM programs are not perfect for EVERYBODY. When the OEM installs a certain program, they're doing so full-well knowing that it COULD do better in certain aspects but they use the one they do, in order to cover as many bases as possible. This is why the aftermarket programs are usually able to net some real improvements for the enthusiast driver. It's because they (the enthusiast driver) is willing to trade certain things (such as MPG, silky-smooth shifts, etc.) in order to obtain maximum performance.
    Now this is NOT the case with all these chips/flashes but it DOES pertain to some. This is why I would suggest consulting the GM service technician. He can tell you what the different programs do, and what the potential draw-backs may be.

ok, thanx katshot i'll do that

I don't see why a reputable aftermarket tuner couldn't do the reprogramming himself, rather than using a generic program. Again, I'm new to this car, but I can get into a Chevy's PCM or burn a harness chip for a Ford using a programmer and custom tune it to my wants/needs. Is this an option on the Caddy's computer?

You can do that too if you want. Hell, I re-flashed mine SEVERAL times myself. I was mainly referring to the "average" owner that just wants to do a "one-stop" fix-it. Quick and easy

Katshot, have you found any hidden HP in the timing or anywhere else? Are you happy with where you are now, or are you still experimenting?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.