Discolouring Woodgrain
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Discolouring Woodgrain in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, I am a Used car manager in Pickering Ontario Canada. (adjacent to Toronto). Anyway I have a 2000 STS ...
    dtgazarek is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Discolouring Woodgrain

Hello, I am a Used car manager in Pickering Ontario Canada. (adjacent to Toronto). Anyway I have a 2000 STS on the lot with some of the woodgrain panels 'bleached-out' or 'faded'.

My service manager will not replace them under warranty, as he says somebody must of put some cleaner on them and that caused the discolouration.

Since only some of the wood panels are faded, I do not accept this explanation.

First question, has anybody else have faded woodgrain?

What causes it?

It there an economical fix without repalcing all the panels?

Thanks
    Dennis

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante
    Armour All will discolor the woodgrain on many car interiors. I don't know of any type of repair, but the folks at leathermagic might have a product that could help. I hope someone else will chime in with some answers.

Astronomer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS
    I've got discolored woodgrain on 4 panels that I did not address before the warranty expired. My guess is that this fading occured because of exposure to the sun and has nothing to do with cleaning products used. The coating (I believe it is urethane) got too exposed to the sun in all four areas. I believe the coating has to be stripped off and reapplied to bring the richness of the wood grain back to the original condition.

Eldo1953 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
    Phone the regional manager @GM for your area, and tell him you have this '00 STS and you are not going to accept this garbage, and you want it replaced! It has worked for me.

AKPsiMC03 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    you could take them off... strip them, stain them, then shalack (sp?) them... its like painting a table...

Great idea Eldo! Does anyone know who the Regional Manager for the region covering Central Massachusetts is. A name and phone # would be just the ticket if anybody at Cadillac answers their phone anymore.

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S
    I think there is a TSB concerning this for the 2000. I tried my GM software to check but it seems to be in lockup mode tonight. I will try to find the TSB #.

Logan

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S
    Tried looking and I cannot find a bulletin. I have heard of people having this exact problem.

Logan

Logan,

I don't doubt you for a second. My initial reaction when first seeing this is that the coating being polymer based, did not have UV (ultra-violet) stabilizers or there was a reaction triggered by the sun's radiation at some other wavelength. Cadillac should not be able to escape the consequences of using experimental coating technologies. This coating is a very high gloss plastic material that was chosen for its ability to enhance the optical properties of the wood. Most plastic materials however are not UV stable without additives. GM (Cadillac) Plastics Engineers are sure to know this and if questioned in the right forum, would be hard pressed not to acknowledge the risks they took in using whatever material this is.

dtgazarek is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Dennis

I want to thank everyone for there interest and responses.

I checked the Technical Service Bulletins archive, and yes there is one pertaining to this problem. However its contents are not available to dealership personal, so our service manager is contacting GM's District Service Manager and hopefully I will have a solution.

Based on what has been wriiten to date, my hunch is that when the supplier (I doubt Cadillac makes these pieces themselves)
    was making these trim pieces that there was a either a problem with the preparation of the wood, and or the coating material

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.