Cadillac Owners Forum banner
765 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  lbwd 
#1 ·
I am considering a purchase of a second car for weekend travel (mostly interstate) and light in-town driving (errands, etc.). I am seeking a car that is comfortable to drive, with a smooth drive and ride, a quiet ride, somewhat a floater ride like most Cadillacs have. In my area there are several models to choose from:

1985 Seville 42K actual miles, pampered, serviced, very very clean, all options work

1991 Eldorado Biarritz 90K, serviced, clean, 4.9 engine

1991 Seville, white, clean leather, 92K, 4.9 engine

1996 and 1997 Seville -- clean, higher milers (152K and 131K), no service records, appear to be clean and well maintained

1994 Eldorado, clean, high miles (130K)

Which vehicle would you recommend based on what I have written and your own experiences? Thanks

#2 ·
The '94 Eldo is a base model, right? I'd go with it, as it fits your description, and yet can deliver a fair amount of power when requested to do so. My N* has been nothing but reliable, even though my ETC has sometimes sat in the garage for long periods of time (something that's very bad for these cars). Maintenance is the key, when it comes to reliability. Clean looking, low mileage Caddies might be "rotten" on the inside, so I'd rather go with one that has higher miles and a clear service record.

#3 ·
Either of the '91s. Simply because I trust the 4.9 a lot more than I do the Northstar or 4.1. But out of those you listed, the '85 Seville would probably have the "floatiest" ride like you so described.

If the smoothest, quietest, floatiest ride is what you're after I'd recommend the square body Brougham (pre '93), or heck, even the 93-96 Fleetwood would work too, but the older ones are a bit floatier. The '93-96 models are usually a lot more expensive than the Cadillacs you looked at. As far as quiet and smooth go, you cannot beat a Brougham. They were designed to give the smoothest possible ride and are the most like a traditional "landbarge" Cadillac in that respect.

#4 ·
From what you listed, I'd choose this:

1996 and 1997 Seville -- clean, higher milers (152K and 131K), no service records, appear to be clean and well maintained

or the 94 Eldorado. But if you want a plush and really quiet ride, go for a Deville. The Seville and Eldorado are a wee more rough than the Deville and the exhaust sounds more performance-like. You HAVE to test drive these and use your own judgment though.

Anytime you drive one of these dudes, pull codes and do some WOT (wide open throttle).
Start them more than once. Drive a while before you pull codes. Record and report back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.