1992 STS Suspension Advice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1992 STS Suspension Advice in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi everyone-- I just bought a 1992 Seville STS with 70k miles on it in great shape, except it needs ...
    awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

1992 STS Suspension Advice

Hi everyone--

I just bought a 1992 Seville STS with 70k miles on it in great shape, except it needs new struts. I've called around, and apparently I can get passive front shocks (without the ride control) through AC Delco for about $250/pair. They don't offer the original struts anymore. The part numbers are 19153299 and 19153300. I can also buy a pair of rear struts for about the same, part # 22189457. Here's my question:

I really don't care about the ride control thing. I've had other cars with Monroe SensaTracs and have been very happy with their ride and performance. I'd just as soon put these in my car if possible. Will this cause any issues with the car? How can I get it to stop saying "Service Ride Soon" if I put in these new struts? Is this an error that I can clear whenever I get in the car (haven't yet received the vehicle) until I restart it?

Car is so beautiful, price was right, now I'm just trying to get it in A1 condition.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Po Pimp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92' Eldorado, 97 Catera

Re: 1992 STS Suspension Advice

The dealership in my area still sells the orginal for $265/pair, check there. For the rear it was $400 something.

Sensa-Tracs are good (not sure with Caddies but have had them on a Cutlass before nice, firm and responsive) but you will still have the annoying "Service Ride Control" coming up on the screen everytime you turn it on.

If you can get a hold of the stock ones I would use them over anything. They are the best in my opinion. If you go with anything else I suggest looking into how to defeat the message. Honestly probably not that hard never saw a sense in it sense I can still get the orginal, although, everyone on this site may not be that lucky.

I am sure someone can help you with that if you go that route.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Are you sure the ones you are talking about for the fronts aren't the ones I've listed? GM discontinued the original part number for the fronts (part #22xxxxxx--similar to the rears) and it has been superceded by the part #s I listed which, I believe, are passive.

JustDoug is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS

Search this section. There have been multiple write-ups on how to get around the "service ride control" message... I think it involves re-using the sensor from the old units, but I don't remember...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.