Confused about headlights
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Confused about headlights in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm confused about headlights. I have a 2003 STS with the projector type headlights. Are HID and Xenon the same ...
    SMDBIOS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 STS

Confused about headlights

I'm confused about headlights.

I have a 2003 STS with the projector type headlights. Are HID and Xenon the same thing?

Is there such a thing as projector type headlights that are not HID or Xenon? If so are they Halogen? Do they also need balists to operate?

Did any late model STS's come with non HID or Xenon headlights?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Re: Confused about headlights

Quote Originally Posted by SMDBIOS View Post
    I'm confused about headlights.
    I have a 2003 STS with the projector type headlights. Are HID and Xenon the same thing?
    Xenon (named for the gas in the lights) is a type of HID (High Intensity Discharge) lighting system. So yes, they are the same.

Is there such a thing as projector type headlights that are not HID or Xenon? If so are they Halogen? Do they also need balists to operate?
    Yes there are.
    All the new Cadillac designs use a projector type lamp now whether you have the halogen or xenon option. Projectors are nothing new, but finally gaining the popularity the technology deserves. BMW has used non-xenon projectors in many cars since the late eighties, for example.

Did any late model STS's come with non HID or Xenon headlights?
    Thanks.
    Xenons were available as lowbeams for a few years before the latest redesign, but I am unsure on the exact year they started exactly (around 2001, I believe).
    The latest STS (2005+) uses xenons in it's low and high beams.

SMDBIOS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 STS

Thanks for the info. I think I got it now.

A "projector" type headlight lens does not mean it's a HID/Xenon. I see many vehicle's fog lamps come factory with "Projector" type lenses but in fact they are halogen.

This is why I was confused.. I thought all projector type lenses meant it had Xenon. Even the bulbs are confusing.. there is 9005 or 9006 halogen.. but also 9005 HID (aftermarket) ... I think..

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Snoop around in the various thread headings and technical archives in here and print out the RPO code list for GM......about 9 or 10 pages. Then, go to the underside of your spare tire cover plate and write down all the 3-digit/letter build codes from 1 of the stickers. (Your paint codes are here, also...) Build a rum and coke and list all the options/packages in your vehicle. HID/halogen lighting will show up here. The "Projector" lenses look like a blurry eyeball, regardless of the bulb inside. Take a terry towel, slide one layer under the whole headlight assembly to protect the painted bumper trim, and remove the two ( 1 long, 1 short) bolts from the headlight assembly and gently move it out from the inner (radiator) side, about 4-5". The push pin retainer at the outer rear of the assembly can be a bear to pop loose the first time.......for now, you don't need to pull the whole assembly. The 9005's, inner bulbs, are the high beams and can be changed in an instant this way......don't touch the glass bulb.....instant POP! when turned on. Carefully slip the rubber boots off the back of the projector housings.....only a 9006 low beam bulb inside means halogen. Wires and ballast parts means HID/Xenon. Look carefully at the rubber boot and make sure you put it back on as it was intended to be.....odds are that it was not installed correctly the first time....a small flat blade screwdriver will tuck the edges of the boot where they belong. Put it all back together with anti-seize on the bolt tips, and build another rum and coke. I've had good luck with GE Nighthawk bulbs, brighter than OEM Sylvania, and 1/3 the cost of PIAA.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.