sls vs sts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, sls vs sts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i'm new here and tried to do a search that turned up nothing so i come to you. I would ...
    leprcon is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Talking sls vs sts

i'm new here and tried to do a search that turned up nothing so i come to you. I would like to know the specific diff between the sls (what i have) and a sts (what i want) more motor than anything . I would also like to know what i have to do to the sides of the car to make them look like the sts i am already looking for a bumper front and rear and a grill. anything else? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    STS v. SLS
    Different Gearing.
    Different Cam.
    Different engine output

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS
    If you really want an STS, sell your SLS to buy one. I think you'll spend way more money trying to dress it up than if you bought an STS in the beginning.

The mechanical differences between the two cars:

STS engine has slightly different intake camshafts. This results in 25 more horsepower and 5 fewer lb*ft of torque. The STS transaxle has a final drive of 3.71:1 ratio vs. the 3.11:1 ratio of the SLS. The PCM is programmed separately for each car, so if you do any engine or transmission work, be sure the PCM is reprogrammed. The STS also has slightly different suspension pieces. The stabilizer bars are the big ones that I can remember. The STS may also have a higher speed limiter than on the SLS. Not sure on that one. The later cars I'm sure of, but not the 1994 models.

There's also the obvious cosmetic differences. Much more plastic on the STS. No hood ornament on the STS. More wood inside on the STS.

They're both fine machines. Very similar in function and performance, very different in "attitude". I would advise, if you REALLY want an STS, go get you an STS.

ok i understand that i don't have a sts but i got a really, really good deal on it so i would like to at least make it look like a sts so what i am asking is what do i need to get ? the sides are the only thing i haven't figured out yet only because i haven't had a real sts to compare. Why did they make such diffrent motors for both cars? and is it just 25 more horsepower or is it overall performance that makes it better ? I know there are a lot of questions but i have the ability to do this i just need to know which direction to take Oh, and buy the way i traded my 92 roadmaster for it that's why i won,t get rid of it this car is perfect one owner 75,000 ish miles on it i just want more I am still getting used to this front wheel drive thing i also drive a 95 caprice with a l-t1 and it's a blast thanks in advance

As far as cosmetics, the STS has more plastic cladding. The front air dam has a more aggressive look than the SLS and the rear dam also goes lower to the ground. I'd think these should be exact replacements. You should be able to simply "unbolt" the SLS facias and bolt on the STS facias. Keep in mind that the STS came stock with fog lights in the front facia and the fog lights weren't even an option on the SLS -- so you'll have to run wiring if you want working lights to fill the holes in an STS clip.

As far as the sides, I'm not sure. Study some pictures of STSes and SLSes. There are a lot on the Internet of both. Make a trip to your local Cadillac dealership and find out what hardware is required for the cladding on the side.

The engines are very similar. Again, the intake camshafts are the only difference between the two (and PCM programming to match). The transaxle has a different ratio to match the different power bands on the STS. Think of it this way, the STS makes more power in the upper rpm range and the SLS makes more power in the lower rpm range. The gearing in the transaxle is designed to match those power curves. In short, I don't think you'd be happy with swapping an STS transaxle into your SLS without doing the camshaft modification also. They really do work as a team. Likewise, if you put the STS cams into your SLS, your performance would probably decrease, because the engine would no longer be matched to the transaxle. They go hand in hand.

ljklaiber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS 200K miles
    Proud of you guys..Very accurate info...not much diff..your choice!

My 95 sls is fast enough for this old guy! 14.83...98.7 mph...
    best........local dragstrip went to eighth mile... havent run that...too short for me.

ljklaiber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS 200K miles
    May I add that in my 62 years I have had faster cars and a lot of racecars, but none of them had heated seats and climate control...or 'Lynryd Skynrd' on a CD playin 'Sweet Home Alabama'
    while I cruise the I-16 in Georgia.

Sweet ride...TY Cadillac.

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Well said Dude!

thank you very much that was just what i was looking for

Revrend is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Originally posted by jadcock
    Very similar in function and performance, very different in "attitude".
    What is the difference in attitudes?

Originally posted by Revrend
    What is the difference in attitudes?
    SLS: lots of chrome accents, hood ornament, very subdued plastic facias...classic Cadillac style.

STS: all monochrome, no hood ornament, much more aggressive facia work...more "European" or "modern" style.

That's how I look at it. I like the exterior trim of the SLS better and I like the interior trim of the STS better. I wish they made an SLTS....but then I guess that'd be pronounced "sluts", so maybe it'd bave to be STLS. A Cadillac "Stool". That may not be good either...

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I had a Cadillac "stool" once......HT4100! If that thing wasn't a P.O.S. nothing was!

gspencer914 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    kcnewell
    Right on target with the old Hook and Tow 4100. Thats why they called it HOOK AND TOW, tow truck hooked it up and towed it away!!
    SLS vs. STS, although these cars are both sevilles just the euro style sets them apart. I agree with everyone else sell that SLS and get you a better deal on the STS. You will not be sorry!! If you look hard enough you can find a deal on them. Look in FL retirement capital of the world. Old man wants a caddi so he gets it, sits in a covered area has 20000 miles on it and he kicks the bucket. The old lady sells it to you for a great deal because to her its just an old clunker to you its GOLD. Happy hunting.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Matter of fact, I have a friend in a FL. dealer that specializes in that kind of thing. Bayview Cadillac. I think he's in Boca or is it Ft. Lauderdale? I can never remember. Either way, he's right in the middle of retiree central.

queensbridge41 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Personally, I like the SLS better then the STS, although I might be a little biased tho since I got a SLS... I think the SLS's look alot nicer on the outside then a STS because I mean, why replace chrome with plastic??? As for the "attitudes", I think of a STS as more of a sportier cheaper lookin car, and a SLS as a major bling bling pimp car made to pick up all da hunnys And as for the engine, I can't say that I've driven a STS, but my SLS is PLENTY quick, I've humbled quite a few cocky kids with Mustangs and ricers at my school when we race at lunch.....However, I DO think BLACK STS's with black tinted windows look TOTALLY pimp...lol just my opinions if anybodys interested...peace

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.