Grease Fittings on a 99 STS???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Grease Fittings on a 99 STS??? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Can anyone help me out here? I've been told by more than one mechanic that there are no grease fittings ...
    1999STSCresskill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS

Grease Fittings on a 99 STS???

Can anyone help me out here? I've been told by more than one mechanic that there are no grease fittings on my STS. I understand that there are none in the front but the FSM states that there are two fittings on the rear tie rod ends. My local mechanic and the local Chevy dealer both told me there were no fittings to lube. I'm getting a sort of creaking noise in the right rear suspension when I make a right turn only and I was wondering if this was because it's being starved of grease.

1999 STS with 93,000 miles

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: Grease Fittings on a 99 STS???

I do not know what year the zerks were removed from the rear tie rod ends; my '98 has them.

Easy enough to see 'cause the tire rod end is far enough outboard that if too much grease is pushed through the fitting, the excess will drop to the inboard surface of the wheel and make a big mess.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I don't recall any on the '99 my daughter had.

nyremodel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 sls

I have a 98 sls, and I couldnt find any grease fittings. The haynes repair book states that some models are lubricated for life.

I'm not sure i'm entirely satisfied with something 'lubricated for life'......

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I guess when the part fails from lack of grease, it is at the end of its (shortened) life and thus was indeed lubed for life.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

No grease fittings.
    They have been gone for a long time. We see less and less of them every year.

Tie rods don't usually creak anyway, they usually wear out and clunk. I have never replaced a rear one for being worn out.
    You could have a squeaky knuckle or a sway bar bushing that is dry or worn out. Can you jounce the rear bumper and duplicate the noise? If so you might be able to get down and listen to pinpoint the source while someone jounces it for you.
    Don't smush your head!

Thanks for the warning about smushing my head! I'll check it out.

Maybe they changed the grease fittings in the middle of model year 99 since it's still in the 99 FSM? I guess that's what threw me.

If weather permits I'll get under there and check it out this weekend. It only makes the noise coming out of a right turn. I guess the right rear raises slightly coming into the turn -- when the suspension drops back down it makes the noise.

clarkz71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Mercedes 400E / 1995 Eldorado/ 2006 Yamaha R1 LE

I havn't looked at the rear of my Eldo but the front end has fittings for the lower ball joints and the outer tie rods. Also the Moog replacement stabalizer bar end links I installed have fittings on each joint. That makes 8 grease fittings on my front end.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Moog replacements are great and they usually do have zerk fittings in them.

Most older cars do have plenty of zerks on them, but 'round about Y2K they started disappearing rapidly.

See Y2K really did screw up everyone's car! LOL

I know sometimes the lower bushing on the rear knuckle can develop a squeak and those can be hard to replace.

dennii825 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado~1999 Escalade

I had a squeaking creaking noise in the rear of my 97 eldo which drove me crazy.I had both lower control arms replaced and the squeaking was gone.I don't believe they sell just the bushings you have to get the whole lower control arm,mine cost me 525$ for parts and labor.Hope this helps you...

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

There was a mid-year change to the rear tierods in '99. The early tierods had fittings, the later ones didn't.

Those BASTARDS!!!

thanks for the clarification.

lookat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS

Our car is a Seville SLS 1995. Yesterday I noticed a strange rattling noise in the right front suspension area. Even the mechanic didn't know what to make of it upon initial inspection. That was back in 2010. Now, here it is 3 years later and I too hear the sound only when turning the steering wheel to the right in a parking lot or at t corner, not going left. I took it home and inspected the wheel and found grease surrounding what may well be a ball joint that connects to the lower part of the right wheel. I smeared the grease all around the fitting wondering how long the boot had torn itself off the fitting. I know this is not normal. I noticed that the same exact location on the inner side of the lower part of the front left wheel had the same issue. just lots of grease, no boot. I drove the car a mile and visited the Kroger for tome pizza yeast and it seems as if for now the sound is not there. It has to be a missing boot and if the boot is missing, the grease is not being containerized inside the fitting and getting dirty and probably will make replacing the fitting necessary ASAP!. Any ideas for me? I am not a certified mechanic. I don't know too much about grease and joint fittings but I was told that they all must be booted to seal in the grease. Otherwise it gets all over the place and is no where permanent.
    What causes these boots to deteriorate? Why don't they make boots that are longer lasting for the average car owner, not just the race car drivers?

----------

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

This thread is 6 years old

Ball joints don't typically rattle when worn. If it is a ball joint you're looking at, it's time for a new one. Can you upload a picture?

Why do boots deteriorate? Age.

Longer lasting??? Your car is 18 years old!

Race cars are typically completely overhauled or replaced every season, with tweaks and repairs after, and even during every race.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

OMG !!! .............
    vincentm likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.