1992 Brougham D'Elegance
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Reviews Discussion, 1992 Brougham D'Elegance in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have always admired the 'classic' Cadillac look ...meaning mostly the 81-92 Fleetwood Broughams but am especially attracted to the ...
    Steeltag is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up 1992 Brougham D'Elegance

I have always admired the 'classic' Cadillac look ...meaning mostly the 81-92 Fleetwood Broughams but am especially attracted to the 1990-1992 models due to the composite headlamps and body cladding as well as the improvements made in this final version before the revised 'modern' look of thte '93-96 models. I was considering those last year model Broughams as well....but when I saw some pictures that had them parked side by side.....I just felt the older ones just looked classer....more distinguished... ie old style elegance!

I bought this Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance off of Ebay locally when it didn't sell for a 'too high' price. I really liked how this model was loaded with virtually every option. This car is beautiful and everything works just great. I wish it had the rare sunroof, wire wheels, and 350ci engine. Instead, this one has the 305ci with now 159,900 miles on it, and ...you would never know by driving it nor by looking at it. It is a beautiful dark/royal blue with the interior being the same in leather. I really prefer the D'Elegance's tuffed (?)seats verses the standard interiors rather plain and frankly, less comfortable look. I had sat in two other standard Brougham cars and it just wasn't the same. I feel rather spoiled now though, it would more difficult to get a 'lesser' version if I needed to replace this one.

I have only replace a bad muffler and a noisy a/c pulley, thats it!

I have gotten as high as 26 mpg on the highway and that was in the mountains of Colorado!!! Can any of your big SUV's do that? Typically it gets 16-21 mpg in mixed driving with a light foot. Surprisingly though, I tend to drive much more conservatively in this car versus any other car I've had except for the brief period I had an '94 Deville ( I was hit in it on a
    first date' with a lady after I had gotten it from my parents....4 days before!)

This car is beautiful though my buddies either give me grief for it looking like my grandparent's car or they really admire it...they really are all over the board so-to-speak when it comes to their opinion on it. I kid you not, I have gotten more thumbs up or other congrats from bystanders for this car...than any of my buddy's in their $50k and up SUV's....its rather amazing. Of course, if an older Cadillac isn't in good shape, then its an eyesore. I was told by a limo fleet manager who ran the largest fleet in the USA that the '90-92's were the best in terms of quality than other years and types of GM vehicles due to internal and little known competition. You won't see these models with broken deteriorating bumper fillers either. There was a marked improvement in bumper filler material/quality.

I highly recommend these models as they are body on frame vehicles which means a great ride, easy to service, inexpensive to service, and with plenty of room to repair when necessary as well!!!! try that on newer small engine compartment cars.

GM 305's and 350 cubic inch motors typically last a long time and have proved the test of time. My father just got rid of a Caprice with the 305 motor and it had 220,000 miles with much more left. Other tales of high mileage motors such as these are abundant as well. I want the 350ci motor though for passing other cars when I am loaded down with people/stuff or when I am in the mountains. Otherwise, its fine everywhere else....it really is.

Of course, another reason I got it was that its relatively easy to work on ...and has ROOM to do work on it. My Caddy doesn't have any electrical issues which is great because it has plenty of accessories that could potentially go wrong. You know, I've heard the criticisms of late '80's and early '90's GM vehicles quality problems....and rightfully so I might add. But, this car shows virtually no signs of having any quality issues, it has almost 160000 miles on it and YOU WOULD NOT KNOW IT by driving it or inspecting it on the inside or outside. I'm very pleased with it.

The D'Elegance model was the top of the line in the Brougham series and included things that were options on other models though curiously they didn't get some of the newest features that the Front wheeled drive Fleetwood series got like:
    -keyless entry
    -rear a/c vents
    -instant mpg computer
    etc. but these did have ABS II, better shocks and bushings as well as speed sensitive steering.

These were an old design from 1981 and most of the customers of these preferred less technology (things to go wrong and were sometimes difficult to understand) reliability like the vehicles they were accustomed to.

Only negatives are surprising amount of wind noise around A pillars, as noted by reviewers at the time, and drivers seat doesn't go back far enough for taller people.

Check out www.consumerguide.com under used cars, cadillac, 1990-92 brougham.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JRau is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series, 1993 Sedan De Ville

Re: 1992 Brougham D'Elegance

Wow! That is a beauty! I have always loved that color combination. I also totally agree on liking the early '90's bodystyle. And, it's fun getting all the looks and compliments from every walk of life.

My '91 has just a hair over 101,000 and it is going strong as well. Thanks for the pics, I'm adding them to my screensaver at work and home!

JRau in central Iowa

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Great review, and that is one hell of a nice looking car! How do the D'Elegance seats compare to the base Brougham seats?

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    Great review, and that is one hell of a nice looking car! How do the D'Elegance seats compare to the base Brougham seats?
    Chad,

The standard Brougham seats kinda have a vertical 1 inch stripe pattern stitched into the leather--see mine in the Cadillac Images section (wish I knew how to link to this for you--sorry)

The D'Elegance has the button-tufted pillow seats. A sexy look and feel, no doubt. I would guess they'd be harder to keep clean though--especially if anyone ate food in the car...

JRau in central Iowa

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Fleetwood Broughams till '86 had button pillow seats but they had a few buttons on the seats unlike D'elegance package . However after '86 ,Broughams equipped with stripe pattern as well as door panels that was a deletion of buttons but D'elegance remained same .I don't know why but I think that was a tactical change to make D'elegance more sophisticated .

Quote Originally Posted by JRau View Post
    Chad,

The standard Brougham seats kinda have a vertical 1 inch stripe pattern stitched into the leather--see mine in the Cadillac Images section (wish I knew how to link to this for you--sorry)

The D'Elegance has the button-tufted pillow seats. A sexy look and feel, no doubt. I would guess they'd be harder to keep clean though--especially if anyone ate food in the car...

JRau in central Iowa

Yeah, I knew that part, but I was wondering if the D'Elegance seats really are much more comfortable than the base Brougham seats? Is it worth searching for a D'Elegance? They look a lot nicer, and would probably be harder to keep clean, but are they more comfortable?

Yeah, I knew that part, but I was wondering if the D'Elegance seats really are much more comfortable than the base Brougham seats? Is it worth searching for a D'Elegance? They look a lot nicer, and would probably be harder to keep clean, but are they more comfortable?
    Can't tell ya that. Never sat in a D'Elegance. I would think it might be, but seat comfort is a personal thing, though.

JRau in central Iowa

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Beautiful review and car! Very nice looking. That back seat looks never used!

Thanks everyone for the compliments....yeah, I"m kinda proud of her! I absolutely LOVE the blue paint and interior colors as well. On the question of seats, from my LIMITED experience/exposure to the standard seats, I found the D'Elegance seats more comfortable....a little more supportive I should say. But, they are soft...possibly softer than the standard seats so the 'deform' easily and reviews from the day (1991) stated that they were too soft and not great for long trips.....uh, I disagree. Those of you who said these seats are a bit more work are correct as they do catch much more (food particles etc) but I don't count that as a negative. Now, some friends who have looked at the interior think the buttoned upgraded seats make the car look more dated than the standard seat, so....possibly so but that doesn't sway me in the slightest as the beauty of the car is what usually gets peoples attention. I just had two police officers admiring my car last night when I was getting a tour of their office/jail/holding cells ( my cousin is a officer)...they couldn't get over how clean and pristine it was! Great compliments!! Ah.....its good to own a 'classic' Caddy isn't it?

Your licence plate is L03 DLT, isn't L03 the RPO code for the TBI 305 you have?

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Haha it sure is!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltag View Post
    Thanks everyone for the compliments....yeah, I"m kinda proud of her! I absolutely LOVE the blue paint and interior colors as well. On the question of seats, from my LIMITED experience/exposure to the standard seats, I found the D'Elegance seats more comfortable....a little more supportive I should say. But, they are soft...possibly softer than the standard seats so the 'deform' easily and reviews from the day (1991) stated that they were too soft and not great for long trips.....uh, I disagree. Those of you who said these seats are a bit more work are correct as they do catch much more (food particles etc) but I don't count that as a negative. Now, some friends who have looked at the interior think the buttoned upgraded seats make the car look more dated than the standard seat, so....possibly so but that doesn't sway me in the slightest as the beauty of the car is what usually gets peoples attention. I just had two police officers admiring my car last night when I was getting a tour of their office/jail/holding cells ( my cousin is a officer)...they couldn't get over how clean and pristine it was! Great compliments!! Ah.....its good to own a 'classic' Caddy isn't it?

Yes, it is wonderful owning a classic Cadillac! I, too, enjoy the compliments from all walks of life, from seniors to young adults, from bikers to symphony goers, etc.

It's cool seeing your car pop up on my screensaver, too. I really love the color combo and the D'Elegance!

JRau in central Iowa

Your licence plate is L03 DLT, isn't L03 the RPO code for the TBI 305 you have?
    Chad,

You are UNBELIEVABLE!! LOL!!! I would never had known that. Wonder if he deliberately chose that plate? What the heck is RPO code anyway????

You are the man, dude! Points to you.

JRau in central Iowa

My Caddy has made it to the so-so 'big time'....people are using it as a screensaver!!!!!! Yeah, I"ve done the same with other peoples cars too...enjoy!

Did you all know....that I didn't even 'get it' about my licsence plate having the engine code L03 till someone pointed it out here??? I would have to go look but I believe I have a new plate that is different now

Its amazing the age variation of those that have vocally admired this Caddy.....literally from 16 yrs to over 80 yrs old!!

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JRau View Post
    Chad,

You are UNBELIEVABLE!! LOL!!! I would never had known that. Wonder if he deliberately chose that plate?
    I never would pick up on stuff like that!

A RPO code is for options I think. Like leather, engine size, colors, etc...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.