Cadillac Owners Forum banner
35K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  rolson 
#1 ·
I've always like the 1992-02 Eldorados. Beautifiul cars, specially the 96-02 ETC's. I found a '99 Eldorado Touring Coupe for sale in my area, at a dealer I was familar with, so I decided to go check it out today!

Exterior Design: 9/10.
The Eldorado is a very handsome car in my opinion. Strong, yet elegant lines, very masculine and somewhat aggressive and athletic, although the Mark VIII is much more aggressive and athletic looking, especially the 93-96 models..

Interior Design: 9/10.
Beautifiul interior. Great dashboard design, nice looking and comfortable seats, and I love the real Zebrano Wood Trim..it all feels and looks like something you'd pay $45,000 for. The "nuance" leather is especially good for something from GM. It's a vast improvement over the leather used in Cadillacs like mine.. Otherwise, all the materials feel nice to the touch and have aged well. I didn't sit in the backseat, but I'm sure it had a decent amount of room. Compared to my '92 deVille, there isn't as much room inside. The beltline is higher, which means you don't have as much glass to look out of, and you feel like you're sitting "in" the car more, it could make one feel claustrophobic too. I'm only 5'6", so fore and aft visibility was horrible for me. I can't tell where the hood ends unless I put my seat all the way up, which means my head is really close to the roof. Thankfully, there was a rear spoiler, which made it MUCH easier to back this out of a parking spot.

Seating: 8/10.
Like I said earlier, I didn't sit in the rears, but the fronts were pretty damn good. It had pretty good ass support, but was still pretty cushy. As for the backrests, they were firmer than the bottom, but still pretty comfortable. And the seat heaters worked excellent! I turned them on right as I started the car, and within 3 minutes they were hot!

Engine: 6/10.
To be perfectly honest, the 300hp L37 Northstar didn't meet my expectations, I was expecting more in the way of top end power. I nailed it at 60 and it didn't feel all that much quicker than my 4.9, not to say that the L37 isn't fast, it is, but it's not the god like motor that some make it out to be, I honestly think the '98 deVille I drove a while back was faster when I'd nail it from 60MPH. That one jumped from 60-80, this one took about 2-3 seconds to get from 60-70..not impressed. I nailed it from a stop, and it was able to spin the tires at about 35 mph, which I thought was cool, but the only way to get to that power is by winding it all the way out, which isn't my cup of tea. I like lots of accessible, low end power. So obviously, if I was to ever get a Northstar Cadillac, it would be a LD8 275hp version. I really liked that motor in the '95 Eldorado I drove, it seemed like it had ~50 more horsepower than the LD8 motor.

Transmission: 9/10.
Like all of the 4T GM trannys, this one is smooth shifting, yet firm when it has to be, and it never has to hunt around for the right gear, and it wastes no time getting to that gear.

Steering: 7/10.
Not significantly tighter than the steering on my '92 deVille, nor did it have much more road feel. I expected more feedback in Cadillac's sport coupe. It made me feel unnerving going down an entrance ramp with lots of acceleration, kind of like the car was gonna slide off the road and roll over into the ditch, which brings me to my next point..

Suspension: 7.5/10.
This car is tuned too soft for aggressive driving purposes. If you get in it hard going down a curvy road, the car starts to float slightly which is really, really unnerving. Now granted, it doesn't float as bad as '92 Brougham, but it's no "canyon carver". But if you drive it more normally, it's fine. It's got an awesome ride for a sport coupe though, as good as my '92 deVille, if not smoother on the interstate. It would make for an awesome road trip car.

Radio: 9/10
Brilliant Bose stereo, great crisp sounds and all the amenities you'd ever need. I didn't listen to it very much though..

Electronic Goodies: 9/10
It's got everything I like in a car. Trip computer, full instrumentation, power everything, heated seats, etc etc. A winner!

Overall, 83/100.
I'd like to own an Eldorado, just one with the 275hp Northstar. And maybe I would like a 93-97 Seville more, but I don't like how the SLS, the only one with the 275hp Northstar, has the hood ornament. I don't like hood ornaments on those Sevilles...

Intro Movie:
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/?action=view&current=IntroMovie-ETC.flv

0-55 run:
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/?action=view&current=0-55run99ETC.flv

Review, in traffic jam:
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/?action=view&current=trafficjamreview.flv

See less See more
#2 ·
damn
thats how much i payed for my 97 ETC with 20K less on the clock 2 years ago
does have the monochromatic which i love
my 2nd fav Eldo rims (my fav are the collectors series rims)
crimson pearl my FAV color

but was she a Z?

i drove a 99 and a 00 and both were alot laggin by compairson to 93-97 Eldos for some reason especailly the 00+ those ones were much slower

#3 ·
This car was optioned very nicely.

It had the optional sunroof and safety security package, which included the electronic compass mirror and three channel garage door opener, and the aftermarket spoiler, which I really like. Crimson is my favorite color on these Eldorados, and it is a gorgeous color, and I loved the cappuccino cream leather interior.

#4 · (Edited)
Some more pics...

If I do get an Eldorado, it will be a '93-'97 Eldorado, not an ETC, and most likely a '93-95. From progressive.com, insurance for me on a '98 Eldorado is $4600 a year, on a '93 Eldorado, it's like $2100. Now granted, the interior isn't as nice on the 93-95's, but when you're saving $2500 a year on insurance, the interior can be purple for all I care!

Between that '95 Eldorado, and this '99 ETC, both were the same colors and approx the same mileage, I'll take the '95 anyday, just because the LD8 has much more usable power..

And I'm not sure if that '99 was a Z rated model, I didn't check. The Z rating isn't a big deal to me.

#6 ·
i like the older interiors more actually
i wanted a 02 ECS (collectors series) but no way i could afford it
then a 95 ETC or STS obd1 yet had the 300 hp as apposed to the 295 hp had a perfect fit for a dbl din screen hu
then a 97 ETC or STS obd2 is its only drawback along with weird radio design makes dbl din very difficult

96 is a flip flop year and it doesnt have stabilitrack along with smaller rear brakes from 97 so 96 wasnt a nice year by compairison

#7 ·
God I sound like Mr Mackee in the last movie!

mmmmmmmmmmmk

#9 ·
Haha in the first movie you weren't wearing your seatbelt:tisk:
But then again I'm being a smart ass coz you weren't moving.

The ETC looks nice I can understand why Jay likes the wood grain inside, looks very elegant. I dunno about the spoiler though, but it can grow on me. Crimson red looks nice but I'm more a black caddy girl. Other than that, its a good find!:thumbsup:

PS: You gotta brush up on your movie skills bro.

#10 ·
Can this be moved back to the lounge? I never meant it as a review like I wrote up on my deVille. I meant it as sort of a quick "test drive" road test, like I did with the '98 Concours, 77 Town Car, 84 deVille, and many more. Those are all still in the lounge..

#12 ·
Thank you!

#15 ·
Thanks! Either way, it'll get more traffic than in the reviews section..

#16 ·
Good review, pics and movie. I love my ESC. Very useable power, and its a 95. The good thing about that it is OBD1 and double din like ETC said, yet I still get the 95 and up redesign (I don't like the "harder" bumpers of the 94 and back models). I am thinking of a chip when I can get some more money together to get that speed limit off. I do like the interior of my car (very clean, I am proud of it being so nice), but I like the interior of the 96 and up more.

So I have an idea...Caddy8792 can buy that Eldo, and me and him can trade. What do you think? :D

#17 ·
Beautiful car, I love the red! I like the cream coloured seats better than the red and black seats on my '02.

So would you trade in your Deville if you bought an Eldo? $9000 isn't all too bad for a '99 considering a new one ran upwards of $45,000. Hopefully you find something that suits you.

#18 ·
Speedy, I would try and keep my '92 when I buy my next car, use my '92 as the winter car, but if my financial resources don't allow that, then I guess I'd have to trade my '92 in..

A customer brought a '98 deVille into work today. Just from sitting in it, I liked the DeVille more. It had more space inside, was more open, didn't feel as cramped, and even though I like bucket seats more, the bench in the deVille was plenty comfortable. And I know I'd like the powerband of the LD8 Northstar more.. is there a big difference in handling between the Eldorado and DeVille? I didn't feel a big difference between the '99 ETC and my '92 Sedan deVille.

Side note: I remember that '98 Concours I drove having more power and a wider powerband than this '99 ETC had. The Concours had 124k and the ETC had 102k on it. Wierd...

#19 ·
Took a quick look at a '99 deVille today after work, didn't get a chance to drive it, but what I saw/felt this time was pretty much the same as when I sat in that '98 deVille at work.

#20 ·
You know it's funny, today at work, I drove a '96 Monte Carlo Z34, the one with the 3.4 Twin Cam V6 (yuck!), it's pretty much the poor man's Eldorado. Well anyways, I had given it some throttle, and when the power came on at 2500 RPM, it gave me a nice push into the seat. It just goes to show how much I like the DOHC motors and their power explosion that occurs at around 3000-3500 RPM.

#22 ·
That might be. I can tell it was taken care of, it was very clean inside and out and ran beautifiully. It wasn't that it had a lack of power, it felt powerful, but all of the power was in the top end of the powerband...not particularly where I like it. I much prefer the torquier LD8 Northstar I drove in the '97 deVille, 95 Eldorado and Addison II's 94 SLS.

#23 ·
The Pontiac dealer next to the dealer I work at has a triple white '93 ETC..I'll go look at it real quick after work. The only bad part is it's got 188k on it, but even so, it's clean and it will give me a rough idea of what to expect in a 1st gen Northstar.

#25 ·
I went to go look for it yesterday, and it wasn't there. I'll try again on tuesday or something.

I'm surprised they're selling it. Most dealers would send a 188k mile Cadillac straight to the whole sellers.

#26 ·
Well this is turning into a monday tradition of sorts..

I'm gonna go look at a '93 or '94 STS today. There is a dealer near me that has a '93 and '94, both triple white and in good shape. Now again, I'm not in the market right now, but I'm just doing this to get an idea of what I like. I'll post another review after I'm done.

#27 ·
Engine: 6/10.
To be perfectly honest, the 300hp L37 Northstar didn't meet my expectations, I was expecting more in the way of top end power. I nailed it at 60 and it didn't feel all that much quicker than my 4.9, not to say that the L37 isn't fast, it is, but it's not the god like motor that some make it out to be, I honestly think the '98 deVille I drove a while back was faster when I'd nail it from 60MPH. That one jumped from 60-80, this one took about 2-3 seconds to get from 60-70..not impressed. I nailed it from a stop, and it was able to spin the tires at about 35 mph, which I thought was cool, but the only way to get to that power is by winding it all the way out, which isn't my cup of tea. I like lots of accessible, low end power. So obviously, if I was to ever get a Northstar Cadillac, it would be a LD8 275hp version. I really liked that motor in the '95 Eldorado I drove, it seemed like it had ~50 more horsepower than the LD8 motor..

Hmmm I find this odd. I just got back from a roadtrip where I got to be the total adrenaline junkie show off.

punching the gas to pass on a 2 lane country road resulted in the speedometer jolting from 65-115 or higher in seconds.... addictive... and the prime rib territory for the L37 (a grand tourer).

I may have contributed to an AMG getting a hefty speeding ticket (I am cautious when it comes to driving on the highway... I will speed only to pass, or to get out of the way of morons... then resume cruise at 5-9 MPH > speed limit.)

The AMG driver felt like he had to top my performance, and well... I let him go on. About 10 mins later I saw police lights in the horizon ahead and sure enough... it was the same black AMG (E series).

Also, I believe the tranny learns the shift points based on the driver. It may have taken it a while to adapt to an aggressive style.

Another possibility, is that there was an obstruction behind the accel pedal, preventing it from true WOT... I dunno. lol.

Suspension: 7.5/10.
This car is tuned too soft for aggressive driving purposes. If you get in it hard going down a curvy road, the car starts to float slightly which is really, really unnerving. Now granted, it doesn't float as bad as '92 Brougham, but it's no "canyon carver". But if you drive it more normally, it's fine. It's got an awesome ride for a sport coupe though, as good as my '92 deVille, if not smoother on the interstate. It would make for an awesome road trip car.
There is a possibility that both the springs and shocks/struts were worn. The CVRSS however, is soft by nature, and changes depending on the aggressiveness of the driver. Keep in mind that the demographics for the Eldo were men above 55, who enjoy the smooth Cadillac ride. The STS has younger demographics, and possibly a firmer, less-floaty ride.

The CVRSS comes into play for instance, when the car is porpoising (bouncing in waves). The position sensors detect it and command the strut/shock absorber to firm mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.