Review: 1999 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Reviews Discussion, Review: 1999 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Good review, pics and movie. I love my ESC. Very useable power, and its a 95. The good thing about ...
    dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Review: 1999 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe

Good review, pics and movie. I love my ESC. Very useable power, and its a 95. The good thing about that it is OBD1 and double din like ETC said, yet I still get the 95 and up redesign (I don't like the "harder" bumpers of the 94 and back models). I am thinking of a chip when I can get some more money together to get that speed limit off. I do like the interior of my car (very clean, I am proud of it being so nice), but I like the interior of the 96 and up more.

So I have an idea...Caddy8792 can buy that Eldo, and me and him can trade. What do you think?

SpeedyArizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 Eldorado; '86 Porsche 911 'Vert; '07 Ford Escape Limited

Beautiful car, I love the red! I like the cream coloured seats better than the red and black seats on my '02.

So would you trade in your Deville if you bought an Eldo? $9000 isn't all too bad for a '99 considering a new one ran upwards of $45,000. Hopefully you find something that suits you.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Speedy, I would try and keep my '92 when I buy my next car, use my '92 as the winter car, but if my financial resources don't allow that, then I guess I'd have to trade my '92 in..

A customer brought a '98 deVille into work today. Just from sitting in it, I liked the DeVille more. It had more space inside, was more open, didn't feel as cramped, and even though I like bucket seats more, the bench in the deVille was plenty comfortable. And I know I'd like the powerband of the LD8 Northstar more.. is there a big difference in handling between the Eldorado and DeVille? I didn't feel a big difference between the '99 ETC and my '92 Sedan deVille.

Side note: I remember that '98 Concours I drove having more power and a wider powerband than this '99 ETC had. The Concours had 124k and the ETC had 102k on it. Wierd...

Took a quick look at a '99 deVille today after work, didn't get a chance to drive it, but what I saw/felt this time was pretty much the same as when I sat in that '98 deVille at work.

You know it's funny, today at work, I drove a '96 Monte Carlo Z34, the one with the 3.4 Twin Cam V6 (yuck!), it's pretty much the poor man's Eldorado. Well anyways, I had given it some throttle, and when the power came on at 2500 RPM, it gave me a nice push into the seat. It just goes to show how much I like the DOHC motors and their power explosion that occurs at around 3000-3500 RPM.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

It is very possible the car has been babied alot, hence the feeling of lack of power.... open it up for awhile and it would run alot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf View Post
    It is very possible the car has been babied alot, hence the feeling of lack of power.... open it up for awhile and it would run alot better.
    That might be. I can tell it was taken care of, it was very clean inside and out and ran beautifiully. It wasn't that it had a lack of power, it felt powerful, but all of the power was in the top end of the powerband...not particularly where I like it. I much prefer the torquier LD8 Northstar I drove in the '97 deVille, 95 Eldorado and Addison II's 94 SLS.

The Pontiac dealer next to the dealer I work at has a triple white '93 ETC..I'll go look at it real quick after work. The only bad part is it's got 188k on it, but even so, it's clean and it will give me a rough idea of what to expect in a 1st gen Northstar.

^^ triple white? Sounds very nice. The miles may be up there, but you can probably tell how strong the motor is with a good WOT!

Good luck.

I went to go look for it yesterday, and it wasn't there. I'll try again on tuesday or something.

I'm surprised they're selling it. Most dealers would send a 188k mile Cadillac straight to the whole sellers.

Well this is turning into a monday tradition of sorts..

I'm gonna go look at a '93 or '94 STS today. There is a dealer near me that has a '93 and '94, both triple white and in good shape. Now again, I'm not in the market right now, but I'm just doing this to get an idea of what I like. I'll post another review after I'm done.

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    Engine: 6/10.
    To be perfectly honest, the 300hp L37 Northstar didn't meet my expectations, I was expecting more in the way of top end power. I nailed it at 60 and it didn't feel all that much quicker than my 4.9, not to say that the L37 isn't fast, it is, but it's not the god like motor that some make it out to be, I honestly think the '98 deVille I drove a while back was faster when I'd nail it from 60MPH. That one jumped from 60-80, this one took about 2-3 seconds to get from 60-70..not impressed. I nailed it from a stop, and it was able to spin the tires at about 35 mph, which I thought was cool, but the only way to get to that power is by winding it all the way out, which isn't my cup of tea. I like lots of accessible, low end power. So obviously, if I was to ever get a Northstar Cadillac, it would be a LD8 275hp version. I really liked that motor in the '95 Eldorado I drove, it seemed like it had ~50 more horsepower than the LD8 motor..

Hmmm I find this odd. I just got back from a roadtrip where I got to be the total adrenaline junkie show off.

punching the gas to pass on a 2 lane country road resulted in the speedometer jolting from 65-115 or higher in seconds.... addictive... and the prime rib territory for the L37 (a grand tourer).

I may have contributed to an AMG getting a hefty speeding ticket (I am cautious when it comes to driving on the highway... I will speed only to pass, or to get out of the way of morons... then resume cruise at 5-9 MPH > speed limit.)

The AMG driver felt like he had to top my performance, and well... I let him go on. About 10 mins later I saw police lights in the horizon ahead and sure enough... it was the same black AMG (E series).

Also, I believe the tranny learns the shift points based on the driver. It may have taken it a while to adapt to an aggressive style.

Another possibility, is that there was an obstruction behind the accel pedal, preventing it from true WOT... I dunno. lol.

Suspension: 7.5/10.
    This car is tuned too soft for aggressive driving purposes. If you get in it hard going down a curvy road, the car starts to float slightly which is really, really unnerving. Now granted, it doesn't float as bad as '92 Brougham, but it's no "canyon carver". But if you drive it more normally, it's fine. It's got an awesome ride for a sport coupe though, as good as my '92 deVille, if not smoother on the interstate. It would make for an awesome road trip car.
    There is a possibility that both the springs and shocks/struts were worn. The CVRSS however, is soft by nature, and changes depending on the aggressiveness of the driver. Keep in mind that the demographics for the Eldo were men above 55, who enjoy the smooth Cadillac ride. The STS has younger demographics, and possibly a firmer, less-floaty ride.

The CVRSS comes into play for instance, when the car is porpoising (bouncing in waves). The position sensors detect it and command the strut/shock absorber to firm mode.

That's what I was thinking too, the struts were worn, but it never said "Service Ride Soon" or anything like that. No lights or codes at all.

As for the acceleration, it was quick, maybe just as quick as the 93 STS I later drove (and was VERY impressed with) maybe it didn't feel as quick because this '99 was much more hushed and isolated than the '93 STS.

That makes sense though about the tranny taking a while to learn the shift points. I only had it out ~20 minutes so it wouldn't have adjusted that quick.

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

That's what I was thinking too, the struts were worn, but it never said "Service Ride Soon" or anything like that. No lights or codes at all.

As for the acceleration, it was quick, maybe just as quick as the 93 STS I later drove (and was VERY impressed with) maybe it didn't feel as quick because this '99 was much more hushed and isolated than the '93 STS.

That makes sense though about the tranny taking a while to learn the shift points. I only had it out ~20 minutes so it wouldn't have adjusted that quick.
    Worn struts/shocks do not throw codes. The electronic sensors and the valve throw the code, but nothing inside the shock/strut to give feedback as to whether they work or not.

Regarding the "hushed" that's very true. I forget what year, but possibly 95, the Northstar equipped Caddys got larger mufflers and a resonator, because there were enough complaints as to them being too loud (likely by the main consumers--retirees).

The only thing not hushed about the Eldo, is anything over 80 MPH. Wind noise is crazy probably due to the frameless glass on the doors.

about the 80+ wind noise. Below that, quite as a library.

The 4T80-E can learn shift points...I didn't think it was adaptive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.