Cadillac Owners Forum banner
40K views 73 replies 26 participants last post by  kbraniff 
#1 · (Edited)
Stoney and I talked about this in the OK Cadillac Forums Members Thread. Basically, we're going to have something about Cadillac history each week, we can do it every Tuesday I guess (since today is Tuesday:sneaky: ). This bit of history can be about anything Cadillac, whether it be a model, an engine, a year, a designer, hell, we might even do the history of the cadillac logo:thumbsup:. This is basically to inform people more about certain areas of Cadillac that they may not know about or already know about, but want to know more...

I'm not sure if I'll do it every week or if we'll let various members suggest topics and/or write the history for them (I've already wondered about Sandy, as I'm sure he could provide a wealth of knowledge seeing as how he was in the business for so long...) We'll see how this goes. Basically, I'm going to tell about the topic and have everyone respond to it (what they think about it, why it succeeded/failed, how it affected Cadillac, etc.)

I'd appreciate if you didn't go off topic or discuss anything besides the current topic at hand (I'd like this topic to stay organized). Thanks in advance:sneaky: ALSO, ONCE WE'VE MOVED ON TO THE NEXT TOPIC, PLEASE DON'T POST ANYTHING ABOUT THE OLDER TOPICS IN THIS THREAD....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This weeks topic (October 25, 2005) is..........The Cadillac Cimmaron:

The Cadillac Cimarron was first introduced by GM in 1981 for the 1982 model year.
Although GM had experimented before with smaller Cadillacs such as the Seville, the Cimarron was by far the smallest and, in many opinions, the least distinguished Cadillac model ever produced, before or since.
General Motors had originally planned on revealing the Cimarron model in the mid-80s. However, a rising demand for smaller, more fuel efficient cars and GM's desire to compete with BMW and Mercedes helped to hurry production.
The Cimarron was part of General Motors' "J-car" line, which was an economy car concept (similar to Chrysler's K-car) that spread over each GM marque. Each GM division had their version: the Buick Skyhawk, Pontiac Sunbird, Oldsmobile Firenza and the Chevrolet Cavalier. Each of these models were essentially the same basic car, with minor differences in features and major differences in price. This was the first and only time in history that General Motors produced a common model that spread over all GM car divisions (excluding GMC).
While some motoring press critics had high praise for the car and Cadillac's first manual transmission since the early 1950s, the car buying public saw the Cimmaron as a ruse. Consumers thought it was absurd to pay twice as much for what essentially was a well-optioned Chevy Cavalier with Cadillac emblems, and thought GM should have developed a compact model specifically for Cadillac. Even though interior fabrics and craftsmanship were top notch, the Cimarron took a lot of criticism for its standard four-cylinder engine (a V6 engine was standard in 1987 and 1988). Even though the Cimarron had grown comparatively more refined by the end of its production run, buyers stayed away, and the car was discontinued after 1988. Oddly, a similar strategy applied to the Cadillac Escalade, which 14 years later was proven to be a sales success...

See less See more
#53 ·
ben72227 said:
Rear-wheel-drive Cadillacs
From 1982 to 1985, all RWD Cadillacs (except for the limousines) featured the HT-4100 V8, though this could be replaced with a 4.1 L Buick LD5 V6 or a 5.7 L Oldsmobile LF9 Diesel V8. From 1986 to 1989, the rear wheel drive Cadillacs - the Fleetwood Brougham and Brougham - used a 5.0 L (307 in³) Oldsmobile 307 carbureted V8 (replacing the HT4100). In 1990, a 175 horsepower, fuel-injected 5.7 L (350 in³) Chevrolet Small-Block V8 became available to coachbuilders. In 1991, the Oldsmobile 307 was replaced with a 5.0 L (305 in³) fuel-injected Small-Block V8; the 350 in³ Small-BlockLT1 V8 with 260 hp (194 kW), which the Fleetwood would use until it was discontinued in 1996. became available in non-coachbuilder vehicles as well. In 1993, the 180 hp (134 kW) 350 in³ V8 became standard in the newly-renamed Cadillac Fleetwood; in 1994, this was upgraded to a detuned Corvette.

An eagle-eyed member noticed a couple inaccuracies in this paragraph, and asked me to chime in with some clarification.

The 140hp Olds 307(VIN code 'Y', Option code LV2) was used in all RWD applications through the 1990 model year. It was replaced by the 170hp Chevy 305(VIN code 'E', Option code L03) for the '91 & '92 model years as the base engine. There was an optional engine offered starting in 1990, it was the 185hp Chevy 350(VIN code '7', Option code L05). This engine was only used for four years, '90-'93, at which time the 260hp Chevy 350(VIN code 'P', Option code LT1) took over for the final three years of production ('94-'96).

The above data was taken from Cadillac factory literature.

#55 ·
Are you kidding? REMEMBER EVERYTHING?! I've been afflicted with CRS for years. LOL!!! That's why they make books! All the info you have here is WAY more than anybody I know could dredge up from memory. I just happen to know a little bit of the basics and then rely on my literature to fill in the blanks!
You have a great thread here with some great info and pictures (I especially like that old Eldo).

#58 ·
I understand that Cadillac wanted to keep Cadillac engines in Cadillac cars, but surely they realized then what a huge mistake putting the 4100 into vehicles like Fleetwoods and DeVilles was. Then, when things are looking good in the late 80's, why the decision to go with Chevy engines, both base and upgrade? I believe the best option for Cadillac to pursue would have been to remove the 8-6-4 from the 368 and keep it fuel-injected.

#59 ·
I must admit, my memory was much better when I was 17 too. But that brings up another question. How much can you have about Cadillac history "in memory" at 17 years old? :hmm:
Well, its simple really. I read A LOT. I'm very...different from most kids my age. While they spend their free time watching the O.C.:p, I spend time reading about stuff. I'm a history buff too;), and I read a lot about Cadillacs and the history of the automotive industry in general. I don't know everything, and I do have to look up details...but I know most of the important stuff...

#60 · (Edited)
Great threads, I'm new to forum but I've been around Cadillacs at many times during my life. As for the engines the 500 cu in that resided in my moms 76 Eldo was unmatched in torque. Then the next year she got a black Eldo Biaritz with the 425 cu in Oldsmobile engine. It was a good engine but no where near as good. I had a '73 Fleetwood 60 Special Brouham with the 372 cu in which with carefull driving, tuning and tires delivered 15 mpg during the '77 gas shortages.

I worked in production maintenance with GM's Rochester Products Division when the Alante was introduced and I serviced the area where the fuel injection system was hand built by 1 employee for only 8 hrs a day.

My '73 Fleetwood

#61 ·
MJDART, that is a very nice Fleetwood. I think the '73's are the best years for the '71-'73 Style. I think that big front bumper really makes the car look better, along with the bigger center lights.

Ben72227, what Cadillac reference books do you have? I have "The Standard Guide to Cadillac 1903-2000"

#63 ·
I have a lot of brochures. I plan on purchasing many brochures for Caddys and Lincolns. Also I am going to buy a service manual for every car I own. How much do you spend on this sort of stuff??

#65 ·
As requested by one of our members;), this weeks history addition (December 20, 2005) is another engine article. This weeks engine is the GM Premium V engine, better known to us as the:

Northstar!:p:sneaky:

The engine was introduced in 1992 in the Allante and continues to be used in the STS, SRX, and XLR. It was sold exclusively by Cadillac for over a decade before being introduced in the Bonneville for 2004, though the L47 V8 variant was used in the Aurora and the 3500 LX5http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_3500_engine V6 in the Olds Intriguehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Intrigue. All engines of this family share the same Northstar Bellhousing pattern. Cadillac is planning to introduce a V12 Northstar this decade.
The original Northstar Allante also introduced the Northstar System which included traction control, adaptive suspension, and antilock brakes.
The all-aluminum Northstar features Dual-Overhead Cams, Variable Valve Timing, and other modern technologies. The VVT system can vary intake by up to 40° and the exhaust by up to 50°. Most Northstar engines produce 275 to 315 hp (205 to 235 kW). The engine displaces 279 in³ (4645 cc) from a 3.66 in (93 mm) bore and 3.31 in (84 mm) stroke. The engine got a forged steel crankshaft in 2003. The block can be expanded up to 5.4 L though no such engine has been produced.
The Northstar was on the Ward's Ten Best Engines list for 1995 and 1996.

L37

The L37 was the original Northstar. It is tuned for responsiveness and power, while the later LD8 is designed for more sedate use. The L37 topped out at 300 hp (224 kW) in 2002 on the STS and ETC models, making these the most powerful front wheel drive cars ever built, until the inception of the 2006 Chevy Impala SS, Monte Carlo SS, as well as the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP.
Vehicles using the L37 include:
  • 1993 Allante
  • Deville Concours
  • Seville STS
  • Eldorado ETC
A new high-performance L37 will be used in the '06 DTS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_DTSPerformance version. It produces 291 hp (217 kW).

LD8

The LD8 is a transverse V8http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V8 for FWD cars. Introduced in 1994, it is designed to provide more torque than the high-revving L37. The 1998 revision is quieter (thanks to hydraulic engine mounts) and performs better (thanks to a tuned intake system) than previous Northstars. It produces 275 hp and 300 ft.lbf.
Vehicles using the LD8 include:

Deville
Eldorado
SLS
Bonneville GXP
and the NEW Buick Lucerne CXS

LH2

The Northstar was designed originally for transverse front wheel drivelongitudinal rear and AWD use in the SRX and XLR. The RWD (LH2) Northstar is good for 315 hp (235 kW) and 310 ft·lbf (420 Nm). applications. It was modified substantially in 2004 for
Vehicles using the LH2 include:
  • SRX
  • XLR
  • new STS

Supercharged

A 4.4 L supercharged Northstar is used in the 2005 STS-V. The bore was reduced for increased strength. VVT is used on both the intake and exhaust sides.
Applications:
  • 2005 STS-V

L47

The L47 Aurora engine was a special V8 designed for the Oldsmobile Aurora, based on the Northstar engine. It is a DOHC 4.0 L (3995 cc) V8 which produced 250 HP (186 kW) and 260 ft.lbf (353 Nm) of torque. The bore is 87 mm and the stroke is 84 mm.
A special version of this engine was used as one of the two engines available to Indy Racig Leaguehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indy_Racing_League competitors at the inception of that automobile racing promotion (the other engine was a modified Infiniti Q45 V8 from Nissan).
The Aurora engine was introduced in 1994 for the 1995 model year, and GM has not used this engine since the demise of the marque in 2004.

LX5

The 3500 LX5 V6 is a DOHC engine from Oldsmobile, introduced in '99 Oldsmobile Intrigue. It was produced by the Premium engine group at GM and was thus called the Premium V6, or PV6, while it was being developed. It is based on the L47 Aurora V8http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V8, which is itself based on the Northstar engine, so engineers called it the Short North, though Oldsmobile fans have taken to calling it the Shortstar.
with the

It is not a simple cut-down V8. Although it has a 90° vee-angle like the Northstar and Aurora, the engine block was engineered from scratch, so bore centers are different. It has chain-driven DOHC and 4 valves per cylinder, but is an even-firing design with a split-pin crankshaft similar to the modern GM 3800 engines. The LX5 displaced 3.5 L (3473 cc) and produced 215 hp (160 kW) and 230 ft.lbf (312 Nm). Bore is 89.5 mm and stroke is 92 mm.
The cost of building this engine was high, and it was not used in many vehicles. It was said at the time that a family of premium V6s would follow, with displacements ranging from 3.3 L to 3.7 L, but only the LX5 was ever produced. It was entirely different from any other V6 in the GM inventory, and as with the Aurora V8, production stopped with the demise of Oldsmobile.
This engine was used in the following:
  • 1999-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
  • 2001-2002 Oldsmobile Aurora
The 3500 LX5 was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 1999 and 2000.

One day soon...:

#67 ·
very good article ben ;)

#68 ·
Hello,

It's fun to see the enthusiasm of people who love cars! Maybe it is time to write yet another book on Cadillacs?! Just wanted to fill in a few details which may make the history more intersting and detailed.

Cimarron: The car was introduced with the 1.8 liter 4-cylinder engine for the 1982 model year which had poor performance yet great fuel economy. Plus, 1982 model had bland styling which was intended to be more European but the typical Cadillac buyer didn't care and wanted flash. The 1982 model was also only a 4-seater since there was an annoying plastic storage divider on the bottom of the rear seat which prevented passengers from sitting in the middle. To differentiate it from other GM variants and make it more classy, the Cimarron had a sunroof, alloy wheels, and a delightful leather interior. For 1983, the car became a 5 seater and a revised, more Cadillac looking grille was fitted as were more interesting taillights. A 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine replaced the 1.8 so the car had better performance. In the early 1980's people were putting vinyl tops and continental kits on the back of the Cimarron since, after all, it was a Cadillac! GM wanted it to be a BMW fighter and Cadillac buyers at the time didn't seem to know or care what a BMW was! By the time the V6 was introduced the car was done and it didn't matter how good it had become. Gas was cheap and bigger was better. If it becomes a collector piece I'll be surprised since no one wanted it then and I can't see anyone seriously wanting one now.

V8-6-4: I own a Cadillac with this engine and it is pathetic! Everyone seems to complain about the same problems - - rough operation in 6-cyl mode, frequent annoying shifting from 4 to 6, etc., etc. Mr. History says: "The V8-6-4 departed from the main Cadillac line after the 1981 model year, but remained the standard engine, without the v8-6-4 feature, for factory Cadillac limousines for another four years" - - this is not correct. The V8-6-4 in the factory limousines and commercial chassis made from 1982 through 1984 is the same disasterous engine as in 1981 WITH the 8-6-4 and all. The 1982 and 1983 Limousine models even have the same V8-6-4 engine badges on the fenders as in 1981. In 1984, all Cadillacs dropped the engine badges likely because Cadillac wasn't too proud of what they were putting under the hoods, but the V8-6-4 made its last appearance quietly under the hood of the 1984 factory limos.

86 Eldo: It was what it was - - designed in anticipation of super expensive gas. Let's face it, the 1985 deVille/Fleetwood were tiny, bland, and just as absurd as the '86 Eldo. Plus, GM wanted to make the cars more Euro styled and Cadillac buyers obviously, as they became even more grey, wanted pomp and circumstance! Cad drivers wanted vinyl tops, wire wheel covers, button-tufted upholstery, and acres of simulated wood! The '86 Eldo, like the Seville, were trying to be more tailored and sophistocated and less over the top and glitzy like the previous generation Eldos made from 1979-85. The 1986 car had alloy wheels standard, less chrome, no vinyl top option on the base car, yet had real wood inside and classy understated interiors. Plus, the '86 Eldo was pretty easy to drive in town and handled better than the previous full size car. Cadillac buyers hated the 1986 model since they wanted a Cadillac and not a BMW. Plus, gas was getting cheap and big was back in style! These buyers were growing older by the minute and Cadillac gave in when the restyled 1988 Eldorado, based on the 1986-87, was quickly rushed to market with more length, more vinyl, and more wire wheel covers.

Eldorado Brougham: More sophistocated than the standard Cadillac of the day yet still a bit flashy for the truly monied buyer. The Europeans were starting to push into the ultra exclusive luxury car market in the U.S. and Cadillac needed to assert itself as the maker of a genuine "standard of the world" since the standard Cadillac models of 1957 were hardly that compared with the high quality, performance, engineering, and safety in the very expensive Mercedes and Rolls-Royce. In 1957, people with serious $$$ and taste really wanted the all out class of a Rolls-Royce or Bentley and that's what they spent their $13,000+ on back in the day. Cadillac used to make super high class cars through the 1930's (i.e. the REAL Fleetwoods), but in the 1940's and 1950's the volume went up, the exclusivity went down, and the prices were just a skosh above the more ordinary premium cars and Cadillac became the car to own if you had a little bit of money and could afford to stretch just beyond a Buick or Mercury. This strategy made Cadillac a ton of money yet, in my opinion, cheapened the prestige of the brand. The Eldorado Brougham didn't make big sales numbers and certainly didn't make profits so it's an interesting piece for a collector today yet it really didn't have much significance as a model for Cadillac then. This era was the beginning of the big slide for Cadillac as a leader in the true exclusive luxury car field.

HT engines: The HT meant "high technology" and in the day it was hated by Cadillac buyers because gas was starting to get cheap and drivers wanted to go fast and waste gas driving all over the place. Where was the big old strong iron engine like Buick and Lincoln had? Cadillac completely missed the boat with this engine.

MJDART: "As for the engines the 500 cu in that resided in my moms 76 Eldo was unmatched in torque. Then the next year she got a black Eldo Biaritz with the 425 cu in Oldsmobile engine. It was a good engine but no where near as good." - - I'm surprised no one commented on this - - the 425 Oldsmobile engine?

All part of the fun!

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

Dave

#69 ·
Amazing that the output of the 5.7 L went from 157 hp then to 400 hp now!

Geat stories Ben! Tell us of the evolution of the 500cid. Starting from the bored out 472 with 400 hp in 1970 (yeah, I got one!!!) and being detuned throughout '71-'77.

#70 ·
Since ben seems to have disappeared without explanation, I guess I will continue this great thread. This weeks article is about the 1975 Seville:

Based on the rear wheel drive GM X-body platform that underpinned the Chevrolet Nova (a unibody with a bolt-on subframe - this layout was common with both GM X and F bodies), the Seville's unibody and chassis were extensively re-engineered and upgraded from that humble origin and it was awarded the unique designation of "K-body". Cadillac stylists added a crisp, angular body that set the tone for GM styling for the next decade, along with a wide-track stance that gave the car a substantial, premium appearance.

Seville engineers chose the X-body platform instead of the German Opel Diplomat in response to GM's budget restrictions - GM executives felt that rebadging a German Opel would be more costly than the corporate X-car. Another proposal during the development of the Seville was a front-wheel drive layout similar to the Cadillac Eldorado. This proposal also met with budget concerns since the transaxle used for the Eldorado was produced on a limited basis solely for E-body (Eldorado/Toronado) production.

This was the first time Cadillac based one of its vehicles on a Chevrolet model. This trend continued with the Cimarron in 1982 and is repeated more recently with the Escalade and XLR.

Introduced in mid-1975 and billed as the new "internationally-sized" Cadillac, the Seville was almost 1,000 lb (450 kg) lighter than the hulking Deville; nimble, easy to park, attractive and loaded with the full compliment of Cadillac gadgets. More expensive than every other Cadillac model at US$12,479, the Seville was a smash hit, and spawned several imitators, such as the less-than-successful Lincoln Versailles, and later the Chrysler LeBaron/Fifth Avenue.

The first Sevilles produced between April 1975 (a total of 16,355) to the close of the 1976 model year were the only Cadillacs to use the Chevrolet passenger car wheel bolt pattern (5 lugs with a 4.75 in bolt circle). At first, the Sevilles were essentially a rebodied Chevrolet Nova down to the brakes. The rear drums measured 11 in and were similar to the ones used with the Chevrolet Nova 9C1 (police option) and A-body (Chevelle, Cutlass, Regal, LeMans) intermediate station wagons. Starting with the 1977 model year, production Sevilles used the larger 5 lug - 5 inch bolt circle common to full-size Cadillacs, Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, and 1/2 ton Chevrolet/GMC light trucks and vans. It also received rear disc brakes, a design which would surface a year later as an option on the F-body Pontiac Trans Am.

Under the hood went an Oldsmobile-sourced 350 in³ (5.7L) V8, fitted with Bendix/Bosch electronically controlled fuel injection. This system gave the Seville smooth drivability and performance, which was lacking in most other cars of the mid-1970s. Power output was 180 hp, and performance was restrained with the 60 mph sprint taking 11.5 seconds. A diesel 350 in³(5.7 L) LF9 V8 was added in 1978, but that engine was known to be poor in both performance and reliability.

1975-1979 Engines:
1975-1979 5.7 L Oldsmobile V8
1978-1979 5.7 L LF9 Diesel V8

#72 ·
Both my brother in law and me had our 1984's: He had the Eldorado Cream colored with the mock convertible top, I had the Seville with the Touring option in Cotillion White with Red leather interior. How much I wished I still had that car. The only regret was the horrible 4.1 engine. If some aftermarket tuner had got ahold of it, maybe it would have been better. However, both cars were stunning, when we got together at family outings everyone always gave the cars the once over look. Styling wise those were some of Cadillacs best days.

#73 ·
Of all the posts I've seen, one which has been overlooked is the one about the Cadillacs which were burdened with DYNAFLOW transmissions during the 1953 and possibly 1954 model year.

This was the result of the fire at the GM HydraMatic factory in Livonia, Michigan, a fire caused by a welder's spark that led to insurance companies telling their inspectors to look for buildings with a "Livonia Roof" since the fire spread so fast and wiped out the whole factory so quickly.

As a kid I rode in a neighbor's 1953 Fleetwood with that Dynaflow transmission and it was a weird sensation. My father had an Oldsmobile 98 and I kept waiting for the sound of the motor in that 53 Cadillac changing its note as it shifted, but that sound never changed. Odd, to say the least.

#74 ·
This is a very interesting thread. I am interested in the history of pretty much anything. I am surprised it took me so long to find the thread. I'm a bit upset it ended so abruptly.

The first offering concerning the Cimarron... I found that car to be most similar to the 4 door Citation. All the other J bodies I thought were hatchbacks. I had a Skyhawk. 2 door hatchback. Was there a 4 door model? And I loved that car too. 3.8 V6 with a 5 speed. And I gave it away... Oh well... My loss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.