Cadillac History - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac Reviews Discussion, Cadillac History in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Chrysler must be doing something right with cylinder deactivation in the 300. Hopefully it will work well in the Impala ...
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Cadillac History

Chrysler must be doing something right with cylinder deactivation in the 300. Hopefully it will work well in the Impala SS also, and thanks to todays better electronics it should.......a good idea to save fuel for the long run. Hopefully someday everycar will adopt that technology...

ben72227 is offline Banned

Well like I said, GM is already using it (DoD) in the new V8 Impala, which has 300HP and 28MPG highway, and they plan to (obviously) use it in their redesigned '07 SUVs...

Well guys, I'm a bit late this week (November 10, 2005) BUT, being late is better than not being at all. This week's topic is none other than:

The most AWFUL Eldorado EVER, The 1986 Eldorado!

If sales numbers are the measure of a car's success, the 1986 Eldorado was a disaster — a total wipeout. Cadillac sold a stunning 77,401 1985 Eldorados (just 105 cars less than the record 1984 model) yet managed to sell only 21,342 examples of the '86 model. When 72 percent of a car's market gets obliterated after a new model is introduced, that's a misbegotten new model.

Shrunk down more than 16 inches in overall length from the '85, the '86 Eldorado was truly a puny Cadillac. It was also clearly a two-door version of the also redesigned Seville, and both cars had awkward-from-every-angle styling. Inside, the interior was tastefully restrained, modern-looking and sterile. It was boxy, it was bland, it was conservative, it was stubby and it fit into parking spaces easily — it was everything buyers didn't want in an Eldorado.

But it was also the most extensively revised Eldo since the '67. Gone was the longitudinal engine placement, replaced by a transverse arrangement. The only engine available was the now-familiar HT-4100 4.1-liter V8, now making 130 horsepower and matched to a new four-speed automatic transaxle. So, although weight was down to just 3,291 pounds, the new Eldorado was slow, too.

No wonder it didn't sell, it looks awful!:

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Very interesting posts on the Cimarron and Seville! Makes you want to stab Roger Smith, doesn't it?

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

This is a really great discussion. I hope everybody keeps contributing to it.. I'm enjoying reading it...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Not many remember the Concept vehicle before deciding to use the cheap Cavalier. Although cramped it did offer fantastic mileage. Plus it had an open top!!

Sorry
    Attached Images

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Its sorta funny that the 86 would get the title for the worst eldog ...Emblems and cadillac aside the cars are really fasincateing from a mechanical standpoint.

At the time the car was a pretty smart move when GM began its devlopment. GM got caught with its trousers about the ankles in the early 70s dureing the first gas crunch. In the early 80s gas prices were riseing to a point that when adjusted for inflation has only recently been topped. Id imagine GM was trying to get the crystal ball working and gambeled that prices wouldnt fall back down. Chrysler and Ford were stuck with what they had. Chrysler would ride the K car and Ford would wing it on the EFI setup they had but still use pretty large cars. GM had alot of money and devlopment time in the citation and j car. It prolly made good sense to use some of those lensons learned and build a smaller line of Cadillacs and hope that gas prices wouldnt fall back down. Cadillac would have had the market cornered. And with all the money wrapped up in the 4.1 there couldnt have been any turning back without going to a non cadillac engine.

The cars are neat , but by 1986 prices fell , and the car was ready ....the gamble failed ...They could have Swichted Edorado to a 2 door caprice type deal or maybe made it an F body ...Most likely that could have been the only way to keep eldorado current and not loose a ton of money ...

The stuff is desinged and invested into 6-10 years before it hits the showroom floor ...

To me, its not that its small, i wouldn't mind a small eldorado, to me its the fact that GM abandoned almost EVERY stylistic characteristic of the eldorado on the '86 model. Hell, it didn't even have frameless windows...And its supposed to be an eldorado? Hah.

Seems to me like another example of Roger Smith leadership...Good lord I can't believe, even to this day, how much that man dragged down GM. Of course, the 80s were just bad for cars in general, but he just made things worse...

its what happens when bean counters run the show .....its just not as well publicised as it was at gm ....

you should read about what one guy from ford did to the US military !!!!

"you dont need chrome there" HA !!!!

It's good to be back on schedule for once. Today (November 15, 2005) we continue on with our discussion of the Eldorado. Last week was about the WORST Eldorado ever; this week will be about (IMHO) quite possibly the best Eldorado design ever (at least the most interesting anyway...)

This weeks topic is...The 1967 Cadillac Eldorado

The 1967 Eldorado was unlike every previous Cadillac not only in that it had front-wheel drive but in style and attitude. Cadillac had never before made a coupe with no accompanying sedan (there wouldn't be a four-door front-drive Caddy until the 1980 Seville), and the '67 Eldorado was also the only coupe that wasn't offered as a convertible. And no Cadillac had ever looked like the hidden-headlight, aggressively modern '67 Eldorado, either. Credit GM designer Bill Mitchell for the truly gorgeous, almost arrogant '67 Eldo.

Beneath its skin, the '67 Eldorado had at least as much in common with the Oldsmobile Toronado as it did with any other Caddy. The Toronado had ushered in front-wheel drive to the General Motors lineup the previous year, and most of that car's structure and drivetrain carried over to the Eldo. Most prominent of the shared pieces was the Turbohydramatic three-speed automatic transaxle, which essentially put the transmission beside the longitudinally mounted engine, with power transmitted by a chain. Also coming over from the Toronado was the A-arm front suspension incorporating long torsion bars instead of coil springs and the solid rear axle with leaf springs.

Obviously, though, the Eldorado needed Cadillac power, and it used the same 340 horsepower 429-cubic-inch V8 as other Caddies with changes in the exhaust manifolds, oil pan and accessory drive system to accommodate the peculiar drivetrain.

Priced at $6,277 (more than any DeVille, but less than a Fleetwood), the '67 Eldorado carried all the luxury equipment of a Fleetwood and, despite its two doors, had room for six passengers. It was instantly the most popular Eldorado ever and sold 17,930 units that first year (only 2,250 '66 Eldorados were sold). It was a bold, confident step forward for Cadillac.

Sweet Jesus, I can't get over those fold-in headlights... I wish Cadillac still had those...

(Photo courtesy of General Motors )

MUCH beatter ....i like this more positive side from you ....yes it had to be one of the at least top 3 eldorados (59 still being number one in my book)

jteolis is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Interesting think about the 86 Eldo was that it was also the basis for the Allante in that the frame and engine were modified and used to make up part of the 1987 to 92 Allante. 1993 Allante was a little different.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

I love the '67 Eldo! Saw one on the net a few months ago and absolutly loved it. Like Ben, I really dig the hideaway headlights

hardrockcamaro@mac.c is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

A black one of those is my favourite Cadillac ever.
    I especially love the rear lights.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Beautiful!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.