Cadillac Owners Forum banner
40K views 73 replies 26 participants last post by  kbraniff 
#1 · (Edited)
Stoney and I talked about this in the OK Cadillac Forums Members Thread. Basically, we're going to have something about Cadillac history each week, we can do it every Tuesday I guess (since today is Tuesday:sneaky: ). This bit of history can be about anything Cadillac, whether it be a model, an engine, a year, a designer, hell, we might even do the history of the cadillac logo:thumbsup:. This is basically to inform people more about certain areas of Cadillac that they may not know about or already know about, but want to know more...

I'm not sure if I'll do it every week or if we'll let various members suggest topics and/or write the history for them (I've already wondered about Sandy, as I'm sure he could provide a wealth of knowledge seeing as how he was in the business for so long...) We'll see how this goes. Basically, I'm going to tell about the topic and have everyone respond to it (what they think about it, why it succeeded/failed, how it affected Cadillac, etc.)

I'd appreciate if you didn't go off topic or discuss anything besides the current topic at hand (I'd like this topic to stay organized). Thanks in advance:sneaky: ALSO, ONCE WE'VE MOVED ON TO THE NEXT TOPIC, PLEASE DON'T POST ANYTHING ABOUT THE OLDER TOPICS IN THIS THREAD....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This weeks topic (October 25, 2005) is..........The Cadillac Cimmaron:

The Cadillac Cimarron was first introduced by GM in 1981 for the 1982 model year.
Although GM had experimented before with smaller Cadillacs such as the Seville, the Cimarron was by far the smallest and, in many opinions, the least distinguished Cadillac model ever produced, before or since.
General Motors had originally planned on revealing the Cimarron model in the mid-80s. However, a rising demand for smaller, more fuel efficient cars and GM's desire to compete with BMW and Mercedes helped to hurry production.
The Cimarron was part of General Motors' "J-car" line, which was an economy car concept (similar to Chrysler's K-car) that spread over each GM marque. Each GM division had their version: the Buick Skyhawk, Pontiac Sunbird, Oldsmobile Firenza and the Chevrolet Cavalier. Each of these models were essentially the same basic car, with minor differences in features and major differences in price. This was the first and only time in history that General Motors produced a common model that spread over all GM car divisions (excluding GMC).
While some motoring press critics had high praise for the car and Cadillac's first manual transmission since the early 1950s, the car buying public saw the Cimmaron as a ruse. Consumers thought it was absurd to pay twice as much for what essentially was a well-optioned Chevy Cavalier with Cadillac emblems, and thought GM should have developed a compact model specifically for Cadillac. Even though interior fabrics and craftsmanship were top notch, the Cimarron took a lot of criticism for its standard four-cylinder engine (a V6 engine was standard in 1987 and 1988). Even though the Cimarron had grown comparatively more refined by the end of its production run, buyers stayed away, and the car was discontinued after 1988. Oddly, a similar strategy applied to the Cadillac Escalade, which 14 years later was proven to be a sales success...

See less See more
#32 · (Edited)
Ben72227....This thread is a very good idea! This very interesting to read. I think next week you should do a post about the 79-85 Eldorado :)

Isn't that beautifiul?!

#33 ·
I may do one about the '78-'85 Eldo eventually since I'm doing the notable Eldo models right now. Of course, I have one, so I don't want to seem biased...:sneaky:Of course, the '59 has to come first:thumbsup: whenever I get around to it...Do you guys think I should keep doing Eldos for the next few weeks? Or do you think I should switch it up and do and eldo here, a seville there, etc.?:rolleyes:

#35 ·
Yeah, do one on the "King of Cadillacs"....The BROUGHAMS!:yup:

#38 ·
Step right up folks:histeric:. Today is (November 22, 2005) and like I promised, we've switched it up this week. As you all know, Cadillac has always had a CHEAP model, which was denoted by the fact that the name started with the letter "C" - whether it be the Cimmarron, the Catera, the CTS or today's "value" model....

The Calais!

In 1965 Cadillac renamed the entry-level Cadillac Series 62 the Calais, after the French resort town of Calais. It was available in 2 and 4-door hardtop versions as well as the "formal-roof" 4-door sedan, which was a hybrid with frameless, hardtop-like windows, but with a post between them. With the exception of having no convertible, the Calais line mirrored the slightly more expensive and well-equipped Cadillac DeVille series.
The primary differences between the Calais and the deVille lines were trim level and standard equipment. While the deVilles were delivered with such amenities as power windows and 2-way power seats as standard equipment, one still hand-cranked the windows of the standard Calais. These items were, of course, optional at extra cost on the Calais; in later years of the model's run, power windows were made standard on the Calais line, although a power seat was still optional even in the later-year models.
Leather seating areas and vinyl roof trim were available on the DeVilles, but not on the lesser model (although a very nice-grade vinyl and cloth, similar to what was seen on top-line Buick Electras, were available). Another item not available on the Cadillac Calais was Cadillac-exclusive Firemist Paint, an extra-cost metalflake type paint. Both the high-end Buick and Oldsmobile shared the C-Body with Cadillac. Cadillac, always General Motors' technology leader, offered all of their famous optional equipment, such as Twilight Sentinel and GuideMatic headlight dimmer, on the Calais. In 1965, the new Turbo-Hydramatic, standard on the 1964 deVille, but not the lower-priced Series 62, became standard throughout the Cadillac range – even the Calais. The 429 cubic inch (7.0 L) V-8 also remained the standard equipment power.
Pricing of the Cadillac Calais started almost even with $5,000 and the line was only a few hundred dollars more than GMs Buick Electra 225 and Oldsmobile's 98.
Like all other Cadillacs, the Calais received the 472 in³ OHV V8 in 1968. The wheelbase was extended to 130 in in 1971, while the big 500 in³ engine arrived in 1975. 1976 was the last year for the Calais, with the similar DeVille continuing.

Not too shabby I say, not too shabby at all...:sneaky: There's nothing like a cheap Cadillac:histeric::

#39 ·
Nice stories!

Of course I love the '67 Eldo. My 70 shares the same stye and was the last in that body style. The `68 still had the hide-away head lights! I also wish I had that on my 70...

How interesting that Cadillac seemed to have entry models starting with the letter C (Calais, Cimaron, Catera, CTS)...

#42 ·
Well folks, its time for another update. This week (November 29, 2005) we have switched to another Cadillac model, and we've done a larger update; rather than do one year, we're going to do a whole generation. This week's history lesson:D is about something you all probably know about...

The legendary Fourth-Generation Seville: (1992-1997)

The fourth Seville was the greatest leap forward for the car since its introduction. It was still front-wheel driven, but it was longer, wider and more cleanly styled with a muscular crispness wholly missing from the car it replaced. "Ever since I saw a prototype of the 1992 Cadillac Seville at the Los Angeles Auto Show last January," wrote BusinessWeek's Larry Armstrong, "I've been itching to drive that car. Even then from its svelte good looks and toned-down interior, it seemed that an American company had finally come up with the right formula to compete with the Japanese. That's especially important for Cadillac, as Lexus and Infiniti have used sophisticated styling and down-to-earth practicality to steal away sales."

There was nothing really startling in the new Seville's engineering (or that of its two-door fraternal twin, the Eldorado). The unibody structure was significantly stiffer than before, but the front suspension was still a pair of MacPherson struts and the independent rear suspension was unique only in using a single Corvette-like transverse leaf spring. The wheelbase was back up to 111.0 inches and the overall length now stretched a full 203.9 inches. That's only a three-inch increase in wheelbase from the previous-generation Seville, but a full 15.7 inches of additional total length. That's also a mere 1/10th of an inch shorter than the original '76 Seville.

For '92, the Seville was offered in either regular Seville form or as the Seville Touring Sedan (STS). Both models had the same 200-hp, 4.9-liter, V8 that was used in the '91 Seville hooked up to GM's smooth and responsive 4T60-E electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission.

With its handsome exterior, comfortable and clean interior and competent drivetrain, the '92 Seville was an instant hit both with the critics and buyers. Yet, things would get even better.

After its introduction in the early 1993 Allante roadster, the fabulous 4.6-liter, DOHC, 32-valve, Northstar V8 made it over to the Seville and Eldorado for 1993. The STS got the Northstar, while other Sevilles were left with the old pushrod 4.9. With 295 hp onboard, the Northstar made the Seville STS a legitimate performance car. "Thanks to such items as equal-length driveshafts, a new electronically controlled 4T80-E transmission, fluidic engine mounts and Bosch ASRIIU traction control," wrote Motor Trend, "you can flatfoot the megapower Seville off the line with an arrow-straight trajectory."

The '93 STS was simply the quickest, best-handling Seville yet. And more good stuff was coming.

For 1994, the Seville lineup was rationalized into Seville Luxury Sedan (SLS) and Seville Touring Sedan (STS), and both were powered by the Northstar V8. The softer-sprung, easier-going SLS got a Northstar making 270 hp, while the STS version still pumped out the full 295. Sales were still strong, despite the fact that the SLS' price started at $40,990 and the STS couldn't be had for less than $44,890.

A few new tricks in the engine bay, including a new induction system, boosted the output of the 1995 Northstar V8s hp to 275 in the SLS and an even 300 in the STS. Otherwise, changes were limited to trim selections and sales continued to be relatively strong.

The changes were even less noticeable for 1996 — at least from the outside. The interior was more heavily retrimmed and the dash revised with a wider gauge cluster.

A few suspension tweaks and one-inch-larger diameter front disc brakes were among the many changes to the Seville for 1997. And some of those changes paid off according to Car and Driver. "For starters," the editors reported, "the unibody structure has been significantly reinforced and now boasts four rigid beams spanning the floorpan. The center tunnel has been boxed for greater rigidity. The steering column supports are reinforced to limit the vibes felt at the wheel rim. And a new front control-arm design helps soften road impacts." The car was also relatively quick with the magazine measuring a 0-to-60-mph blast of 6.9 seconds and the quarter-mile going by in 15.3 seconds at 93 mph.

But there was a new Seville coming…and the '97 seemed relatively outdated with fresh competition from BMW, Lexus and Mercedes out there. Could the next Seville bring the luster back?

Man they were beautiful:

#43 ·
This week brings yet another update. Hopefully you guys will find this one a bit more interesting???:rolleyes: It is a classic model; this week (December 6, 2005) the history topic will be....(*drumroll*)....

The Eldorado Brougham!

Derived from a Cadillac concept vehicle exhibited during the GM Motorama of 1955, the luxurious, limited edition Eldorado Brougham models of 1957 through 1960 epitomized luxury car styling and technical/mechanical innovation of the late fifties. Cadillac continued to carve out its high reputation as the makers of the "The Standard of the World".

The Cadillac Eldorado Brougham was the company's post-WW2 styling coup de force. While no single Cadillac stylist may be credited with the final design, the latter began on the drawing boards of Bob Scheelk, a new recruit to the GM Styling Section, the new name for the former Art and Color. Bob's work was supervised by Charles "Chuck" Jordan (who had taken over from Ed Glowacke), and by Chuck's assistant, Dave Holls.

On September 15, 1955, the Cadillac Styling Section moved from its old quarters in downtown Detroit to the new, ultra-modern General MotorsTechnical Center at Warren, north of the Motor City. From that day forward, Cadillacs adopted a new, lighter, brighter look, like that of the new buildings where they were being designed.
The Eldorado Brougham was the product of several years of engineering and styling development. It was preceded by a number of experimental models, concept vehicles and so-called dream cars including, principally, the Cadillac "Orleans" (1953), the "Park Avenue" (1954), the "Eldorado Brougham" prototype (1955), the second Eldorado Brougham prototype and Paris show car (1955-56) and the "Eldorado Brougham town car" (1956).

The first production Eldorado Brougham (car #3) was shown at the New York Salon in January 1957. This car was featured also in a factory promotional film set in New York's Central Park, where it stole the limelight from another, specially-appointed Cadillac Series Sixty Special, the "Director", that was all decked out as a mobile office.

The Cadillac Eldorado Brougham, often described as "the ultimate in personal transportation", is and always will remain a rare, superior and beautifully elegant automobile. It typifies in a way the excesses of post-WW2 American automobile flamboyance. In his authoritative "History of Cadillac", author Maurice Hendry of New Zealand said. "the biggest news for fans of mid-fifties gimcrackery and engineering innovation was the Eldorado Brougham..."

It's astronomical price tag (for the time) of more than $13,000, did not deter the 904 wealthy Cadillac patrons who bought one. The "Eldorado Brougham" certainly was a high quality automobile, considering that in the early part of the new millennium 2001, more than half the total number built had survived and were in the hands of enthusiasts and collectors the world over, the majority being in good to very good condition despite 40-45 years of use.

#44 ·
Wow the Eldorado Brougham! The most expensive Cadillac ever! (~$14,000 new, in 1957!!!!) The former police chief of Minneapolis has one, and my Vehicle Services Teacher back in high school did the carburator work on it!!!

#45 ·
The 57-58 Eldorado Brougham is similar in concept to the 1974-76 Fleetwood Brougham Talismans.

#48 ·
Today is Tuesday (December 13, 2005) and we are doing a feature on a group of Cadillac engines today. I know, I know, probably not as interesting as a car model, BUT we have to cover everything in this history class:rolleyes:

This weeks topic is none other than....

THE OHV V8s of the 80s! Yay!

HT-4100
Another new V8 appeared in 1982 as the HT-4100 (option code LT8). This engine was originally designed for transverse front wheel drive use in the planned downsized 1983 Cadillac sedans. However, delays in General Motors' BOC (Buick-Oldsmobile-Cadillac) large sedan program and the colossal failure of the L62 V8-6-4 caused the HT-4100 to be rushed into production for the 1982 model year.
The 4.1 L HT-4100 featured an unusual aluminum block with iron head construction. Bore was 88 mm and stroke was 84 mm; in most applications, it was equipped with throttle-body "digital" fuel injection. Initial output was a paltry 125 hp (93 kW), not nearly enough to provide Cadillac-level acceleration in the heavy Cadillacs of the early 80s (which were designed for a much bigger V8); early models were plagued with reliability problems. Later versions of the HT-4100 were used in the originally-planned front wheel drive configuration throughout the Cadillac line (with the exception of the limousines and the Cimarron).
The version found in the 1987 Cadillac Allante featured port fuel injection, with output of 170 hp (126.8 kW) and 235 ft.lbf (319 Nm) of torque. The 4.1 was superseded by larger models and ceased production in 1988.

HT-4500
Engineering allowed the company to begin to raise displacement and output again. A bored-out (to 92 mm) 4.5 L HT-4500 version was introduced in 1988 with 155 hp (116 kW). Various versions were built between this introduction and the end of production for this engine in 1992, including a high-output LW2 with multiport fuel injection version for the Allante which produced 200 hp (149 kW) and 270 ft.lbf (366 Nm).

HT-4900
An even larger version, the L26 HT-4900, debuted in 1991 at 4.9 L with a square 92 mm bore and stroke. Power was the same as the 4500 at 200 hp (149 kW) but torque was up slightly to 275 ft.lbf (373 Nm). The engine was produced until 1996.
This Cadillac V8 series was used in the following models:
  • Cadillac Allante
  • Cadillac Deville
  • Cadillac Eldorado
  • Cadillac Fleetwood
  • Cadillac Seville
This engine was phased out in favor of the newer Cadillac Northstar engine in the mid-1990s.

Rear-wheel-drive Cadillacs
From 1982 to 1985, all RWD Cadillacs (except for the limousines) featured the HT-4100 V8, though this could be replaced with a 4.1 L Buick LD5 V6 or a 5.7 L Oldsmobile LF9 Diesel V8. From 1986 to 1989, the rear wheel drive Cadillacs - the Fleetwood Brougham and Brougham - used a 5.0 L (307 in³) Oldsmobile 307 carbureted V8 (replacing the HT4100). In 1990, a 175 horsepower, fuel-injected 5.7 L (350 in³) Chevrolet Small-Block V8 became available to coachbuilders. In 1991, the Oldsmobile 307 was replaced with a 5.0 L (305 in³) fuel-injected Small-Block V8; the 350 in³ Small-BlockLT1 V8 with 260 hp (194 kW), which the Fleetwood would use until it was discontinued in 1996. became available in non-coachbuilder vehicles as well. In 1993, the 180 hp (134 kW) 350 in³ V8 became standard in the newly-renamed Cadillac Fleetwood; in 1994, this was upgraded to a detuned Corvette.

HT 4100:

#50 ·
Interesting entry, especially considering I have a 4.9 in my '91 DeVille. I've been very impressed with it's smooth, silent operation while still managing to haul ass—and at 200K miles no less. Responsiveness is much better with the new Bosch fuel injectors from FiveOMotorsport.

Besides the larger displacement and port fuel injection, how else is the 4.9 improved from the original HT4100? Does it still have iron heads? Any ideas why Cadillac put iron heads on an aluminum block? That makes no sense.

#51 ·
Yeah this is very good stuff!:thumbsup:
I didnt know that the FWD Caddies were delayed until '85, and that the 4.1 was never meant to go into the RWD ones! Awesome! :D
It seems more logical after you learn this stuff, basically they HAD to put the 4.1 into the RWD Caddies, and it wasnt intended to go in there.

gdwriter, the 4.9 does still have iron heads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.