1985 Eldorado
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Reviews Discussion, 1985 Eldorado in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I always wanted the 79 to 85 eldorado style so this april I bought 1. I put a ton of ...
    fullserviceman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham

1985 Eldorado

I always wanted the 79 to 85 eldorado style so this april I bought 1. I put a ton of parts into the car and it runs and looks great. I absolutely hate to drive it though because of its severe lack of power (HT4100) it is extremely hard to find any junkyard parts for being that all the 85's in NY have been dissolved in the past 20 years. I do like the ride but find the steering to effortless and the brakes are new yet still you need to leave lot of room in front incase of an emergency stop. I also do not feel comfort in the way the seats are. I feel like im sitting in the back seat driving but my gut hits the steering wheel. It is now time to sell this beast for the first $1200 bid on Ebay I think and replace it with my 88 Eldo that was given to me and has everything new except the engine on it. Next time I would probably go with a brougham or a 80 to 84 coupe deville.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Re: 1985 Eldorado

If I'm not mistaken, you can increase the timing on those cars for added power. It does make a difference.. You just have to make SURE you use high octane fuel as the 4100 (again, if I'm not mistaken) doesn't have a knock sensor..
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator
    If I'm not mistaken, you can increase the timing on those cars for added power. It does make a difference.. You just have to make SURE you use high octane fuel as the 4100 (again, if I'm not mistaken) doesn't have a knock sensor..
    True this is, but when advancing the timing, she must be put into 'set timing mode.' I'm not sure where to do it on the fuller sized bodies, but it might be the same as the '86 on up Cadillacs via the ALDL connector. The exact instructions for timing adjustment should be on the emissions control label under the hood. Also, the safe bet for the '85 Eldo is about an advance of three degrees. No more.

And yes, when advancing the timing, she will need the premium fuel. If you'd like to stave off detonation for sure, a 180 degree thermostat might be a good idea, but not entirely necessary.

fullserviceman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham

Mine is already advanced about as far as it could go w/o pinging on 93 octane. But also a month ago premium fuel was $2.50 a gallon and today i see it was $2.88. Getting hard to drive the old beasts at all.

jps342 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i have a 88 ElDorado & would like to reset my timing too , but i can't find my ALDL socket at all ??? any ideas were it is ??? thanks

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

It located under the dasboard just above the emergency brake pedal

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.