1998 Eldorado-White Diamond
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Reviews Discussion, 1998 Eldorado-White Diamond in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Review Rating- 99+/ 100 General- Unit had 40k and two owners when I purchased it from an old line dealer ...
    MWA
    MWA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS

1998 Eldorado-White Diamond

Review Rating- 99+/ 100

General-

Unit had 40k and two owners when I purchased it from an old line dealer Feb 2003. I put a new Delco battery in it, had the windows tinted, checked the alignment, put new Mich tires on it, had the dealer replace the coolant, transmission fluid, service the injector system, pcv val, fuel filter and purchased a Helm Factory Manual. Change the oil & Delco filter each 3k miles regardless of the oil minder (usually about 40%) and currently have 76k on it

Pros:

It is an automobile, not a car. Unbelievable luxurious ride. It gets about 29 mpg on trips using the cruise control and about 22 mpg on city driving. Never had an automobile literally "tell me what is wrong with it." First thing that I did was find out how to read the DTC's and peridically do this for my records. Unit did not have a factory Delco 12 disc CD changer so I purchased a used one and ordered a bracket and installed it according to shop manual instructions. Absolutely no problems and the Bose system is great. Plan to replace the plugs and wiring @ 100k per manual instructions if not sooner. (if mpg goes down or performance dictates)

The leather interior is exqusite. Everything has been designed to assist the driver and his passengers. I took several days to read the features of this work of art, and still find myself looking back at some wonderful thing that engineers designed for the owners' comfort, east of operation, and maintenance.

Cons:

Someone who did not have a factory manual/and or mechanical experience had been in the left door panel and had broken the fasteners....too bad, because the manual gives step by step instructions that are fool proof on removal of the panel. I designed a few fasteners of my own that securely position that driver door panel. The ashtray has a minor problem- it will not close. Removed it and discovered a broken plastic post that I think that I can repair, too. It is obvious that these are very minor problems and they are what are called "cockpit problems." (a person who does not understand how manuals are to be read before tackling any mechanical repair and goes in roughshod and causes more damage than can be imagined)

I think that the auto has just a few too many sensors, because I get a DTC code that the fuel sensor sees high voltage and a DTC that the sensor on the lumbar horizontal seat is experiencing problems. These both return and I may investigate repairing them, but there are absolutely no other problems to date.
    I once was traveling down the road after filling the tank with premium and the green screeen told me to check the fuel cap. Stopped and sure enough, I had not put it on securely. What other cars can keep the driver from mistakes like that??

I salute the engineers, craftsmen, and the manufacturer for building a mighty fine piece of transportation. I hope to put maybe 250k or 300k on it by following the routine maintenance and using high quality fluids. The first Cadillac and only automobile that I have ever owned that does not ever hesitate upon full acceleration.....it is luxury beyond belief.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Re: 1998 Eldorado-White Diamond

A lot of newer (2000 & up) cars will light the chekc engine idiot light if the fuel cap is not tight enough.

At least the Cadillacs are smart enough to tell you that it's the gas cap!

MWA

You are correct, Mike, they are very very intelligent machines....if we only listen to what they have to say! What do you like and dislike about your 00 Eldo?

1998Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville D'Elegance

Had a chance to buy a white 99 Eldo when I got my DeVille but the Eldo was just plain white and the White Diamond color on my DeVille just kept calling my name. Not to mention I really didn't want black (or charcoal) interior here in Florida. But if I ever have the oportunity to purchase an Eldo I certainly will LOVE the body style! Glad you like yours. And as far as the sensors go, it's shocking at just how much the computer checks while you are crusing along with the stereo blazing. "...lumbar horizontal seat is experiencing problems..." that's just like something out of startrek, next thing you know you'll hear scotty tell you the Dilithium Crystals are fading

MWA

98D you are entirely correct about "White Diamond". It is unique and each time I wax, I enjoy it more. Florida is a great place to have WD, too. OBDII is also mighty fine. It warned me of a battery problem just in time to replace the battery (before being stranded anywhere). Keep an eye on the side-connected positive terminal for leakage. It is a weak part of Delco batteries that I have had (2). Enjoy all of that sun down there!

02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006
    Hi reply to a 5+ yr old thread. In 07 i spent $6100. On ebay for a crimson red etc for my aging father who was laboring with an oil leak on his 93 sls. It had 79k and not a scratch. PO was the original and bought for his wife in florida on valentines day. I put gas in it and drove to nj. My dad then used it in chicago. The car was hit and vandalissd many times in a few yrs.
    While executing his estate the car sold on cl for 2500. The pearl paint was still still beautiful and the interior 100%. I had the rear knuckles done and installed the ac delco plug wires. At 125k miles he never had a coolant problem. But it did use a quart oil every 1k. As an owner of a few cadillacs i think the last body style eldorado was the best. The pearl paint is a must. If you're thinking of buying one, the hg and the suspension are the most expensive fixes and would cost 2-3 times the value of the car to fix.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.