1987 Cadillac Brougham
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Reviews Discussion, 1987 Cadillac Brougham in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Standard 1987 Brougham, not d'Elegance model 121 inch wheelbase, 76 in wide, 221 in long Body/appearance: The Classic 1980-1989 trim: ...
    ReagansRollsRoyce is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

1987 Cadillac Brougham

Standard 1987 Brougham, not d'Elegance model

121 inch wheelbase, 76 in wide, 221 in long
    Body/appearance: The Classic 1980-1989 trim: quad rather than composite headlights, peaked hood with standup chrome hood ornament, chrome bumpers. Silver nameplating with "Brougham" script on sides. Angular, clean lines define the corners of the car and make it appear even bigger than it is, especially with my Cotillion White model. Trunk is large, though not deep, rendering it smaller in cubic foot space than the Ford/Mercury/Lincolns of similar years but more easily accessible. Heated mirrors are helpful in cold weather, the mirrors themselves are smaller than on modern cars but perfectly adequate. Windshield wipers have chrome or aluminum holders and are the old-fashioned, easy-to-change-the-blades-kind. Only one complaint, the plastic connectors between the chrome moldings of the rear tail-lights and the body itself are tacky looking, fade easily, and dirty easily. One wonders why Cadillac designed them this way. The car continues to look massive, 'important' and 'expensive' even after 18 years.

Inside: My particular model has white leather with red dashboard and carpeting...very 1950s. It is not the pillowed d'Elegance leather discussed in DopeStar's review of his '89, but is nevertheless extraordinarily comfortable. It has the Cadillac crest woven into it. Behind the front seats are convenient storage pouches for road atlases or magazines to entertain rear passengers. Instrumentation is a mix of chrome and plastic, the one cheap instrument is the emergency flasher switch, however, this should not need to be used frequently. 80s style wood trim is present but is not all over the place. The doors are interspersed with little Cadillac crests. The car also has numerous opera lights. Seatbelts are three point over the shoulder in front (except a lap belt in the center) but are all lap belts in the rear, the last model year in which this was the case.

Comfort/Convenience: Driving position is good and is easy to adjust with the 6 way power seats in front. The tilt/telescope steering wheel should accomodate most drivers. Visibility is fine over the long front hood, with the ornament a useful centering device and a constant reminder that you are driving a grand, once-expensive car. The little lamps on the corners of the hood are nice at night as guides for the edges of the car. Twilight sentinel, a timer that leaves the lights on, is great for getting to your door across a dark driveway or turning on automatically on the road. Rear visibility might appear to be hampered by the limousine-style formal rear window, but if you adjust your sideview mirrors accordingly you will find this is not the case. Controls and buttons are pretty straightforward and easy to understand. The cruise control 'set' button on the turnsignal lever requires a firm press to engage. The wiper switch can be a little annoying to reach while driving but the wipers and sprayer themselves work well. Electronic climate control is excellent and speedy in warming up or cooling down, however, the buttons are little bit small and low. The remote trunk switch is in the glove compartment, kind of annoying, but it works fine. The sound system, a Delco-Bose, has exceptionally good sound for an 18 year old system.

Driving experience: The Oldsmobile 307 V8 that powers the Brougham is smooth but lethargic. I roughly clocked 0-60 up a slight grade at 14 sec. The slowness, though, preserves gas: you can still keep up with right-lane traffic and get 19-22 mpg if you stay in overdrive on the highway. Despite being slow, the engine is more responsive when passing on the freeway and is very quiet. The transmission shifts very smoothly. Ride quality depends on your taste. If you enjoy the cloudlike ride of old-fashioned American luxury cars, the 1987 Brougham fits the bill. It is pillowy-soft and filters out just about every bump. If you like what is now called "roadability" and "steering feel" this car is not for you. Turning radius is large, parking can be a challenge. This is a luxury car, not a performance vehicle, and buyers should not expect otherwise.

Summing up: A great buy for under $5000. Cheap parts, majestic appearance and fabulous old-style ride make for a car that turns heads and makes you feel like a V.I.P. whenever you're behind the wheel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddieboy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7

Re: 1987 Cadillac Brougham

Thanks for this review. I've driven an 1987 Brougham since I was a teenager and it's still my favourite car. I've never cared for the sports cars and stiff steering where you feel every pebble in the road. Just a nice, confortable drive that makes getting from A to B an enjoyable experience.

firemist is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Great review, am enjoying my 92 brougham d'elegance also, like driving the large car have someone wanting to buy it everytime I take it out, cant part with it just yet. Good to know there are really serious cadillac owners out there. firemist

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

are these cars hard to control over roads that arent very smooth?

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

i drove one today, and completely agree with the writer of this review. A grand car, extremely luxurious in a classical sense, very grand, large and very very american. But its very lethargic. This car NEEDS the 350!!!

Hydro626 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadillac Brougham D'elegance, 1972 VW Superbeetle baja

that was rather beautiful on a personal level. its nice when you can compliment your own car while at the same time complimenting everyone else with that car. i have Cotillion White as well, and it does look rather huge (partially because it is, but i see what youre talkin about with it looking bigger than it is. it looks like it weights over 6000 lbs instead of "only" 5000. you got any pictures of that thing up in the gallery? id like to take a look at this thing.

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Well, he posted this 2 years ago, so I'm not sure he'll get back with you on that...

Motorboat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Just bought an '88 Brougham with 65K on the clock. It is slow by today's comparisons but, you can't beat the thumbs up and gawkers who just look. It is Glacier Blue and all there.

So far no probs except the opera lights do not work. Any suggestions?

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Motorboat, where do you live?

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Comfort, comfort, comfort.

Reliability, cheap parts, good gas mileage unless you are going uphill.

Gasmatic shocks = $19. Rear air shocks = $80 or less each.

Ignition and coil = under $100 combined.

75 series tires = very reasonable.

Not many computers. You can work on it youself.

I wish I had my 87 back. 32k miles. Ex-daughter in law took it.

pjporter is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham

I have an 87 Brougham my brother gave me. I need to do the brakes, but can't get the wheel covers off. Got the center out, but how do you finish the job and get to the "guts". HELP!!

pjporter is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham

I have an 87 Brougham my brother gave me. I need to do the brakes, but can't get the wheel covers off. the centers I can get off, but not the rest. HELP!!!

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Here's a hint...

....maybe you should post your question in the "Technical" forum for brakes -- or the "RWD" Deville/Brougham forum -- instead of digging up a completely unrelated "Review" thread that's been dead for a year.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

chuco_2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

you need the key to take the lock off of the middle of the wheel cover

adrianglock is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by pjporter View Post
    I have an 87 Brougham my brother gave me. I need to do the brakes, but can't get the wheel covers off. the centers I can get off, but not the rest. HELP!!!

That's a bummer! Some wheel covers needs a lot of muscle to get removed, I usually use a flat screw to pry it out it works well with me.

Sponsored Links
    wheel covers
    Auto Body Parts
    Parts and accessories
    Genuine Car Parts

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.