1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac Reviews Discussion, 1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; City driving is a killer on gas. I'm checking on an o2 this morning. But I still need the manifold ...
    mazman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

City driving is a killer on gas. I'm checking on an o2 this morning. But I still need the manifold intake sensor. I also have a 92 caddy that my wife drives and it drives like a charm.

Does your 94 bob in the frount end when you hit little valleys in the road? My 92 is more stiff in the frount end. Maybe just the ride control system it the 94 but I thought they were suppose to stiffen up when you hit higher speeds. Any thoughts on that?

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Quote Originally Posted by mazman View Post
    City driving is a killer on gas. I'm checking on an o2 this morning. But I still need the manifold intake sensor. I also have a 92 caddy that my wife drives and it drives like a charm.

Does your 94 bob in the frount end when you hit little valleys in the road? My 92 is more stiff in the frount end. Maybe just the ride control system it the 94 but I thought they were suppose to stiffen up when you hit higher speeds. Any thoughts on that?
    They will only stiffen if it has the origional shocks or OEM replacements, if the mileage is high then they may have been replaced with passives which will not adjust like that

Thanks BB

Today i replaced the (O2) and the (manifold air intake sensors). The hesitation is gone, on the other hand the engine now surges. Remember I mentioned that I have already changed the (TPS) trottle positioning sensor and the service engine light come on now and again. I scaned the codes once more and PO55 current shows up and that is a (closed throttle angle out of range]). Any idea what that means?

As far as the shocks go, I believe they are orriginal and still have wires coming out of the top of the strut. Do you know where the sensor is located for the ride control? I believe the noise I hear is coming from the top bearing, so I am looking at replacing that.

Thaks for your input,

Maz

Not sure where its at, I actually have a 93 which is the same engine but probably a bit different suspension.

Not sure on the surge, you may have better luck starting a new thread or searching through the deville or 4.9 forums

May just check that nothing got knocked lose and no vacuum lines broke. Every time I work on my 93 some stupid plastic line snaps on me and I have to repair it lol

SessiGrrrl is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you so much for all of the detailed information. I couldn't have found this forum at a better time. I'm currently considering buying a 1994 Cadillac Sedan Deville and I had so many questions. Most of them were answered in your post, but I was wondering if I could ask you one more.

What kind of mileage can be expected from this car? I've seen a few with 125,000 miles. Is this the end of the car's life or is it common to get 185-200k miles?

Thanks again! Cheers!

94 deville base or concourse? The base comes with the 4.9 and the concourse with the northstar. Both engines seem to last along time, the 4.9 however is the more simple of the 2 and can be cheaper to repair.

Browsing around here on the forums you will seee many approach and break 200k , maybe some work done to them though.

I cant really answer that since mine isnt to 100k yet, about 97k here without major issue.

125k is high for me personally, but if you can get the price down enough I would consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by behind-bars View Post
    94 deville base or concourse? The base comes with the 4.9 and the concourse with the northstar. Both engines seem to last along time, the 4.9 however is the more simple of the 2 and can be cheaper to repair.

Browsing around here on the forums you will seee many approach and break 200k , maybe some work done to them though.

I cant really answer that since mine isnt to 100k yet, about 97k here without major issue.

125k is high for me personally, but if you can get the price down enough I would consider it.
    My 1994 has 200,000 miles and going strong. Very good motors although small solenoids or sensors may have to be changed from time to time. The biggest cost is replacing the electronic shocks. Expect to pay around $1000.00

Good luck,

Mazman

SessiGrrrl is offline Cadillac Owners Member

You guys are great! The cadi was not originally on my list for my next used car, but once I test drove I was in love.

Unfortunately that '94 got sold out from under me. Sigh! But I'm going to check out a '95 tonight. Lower mileage! Only 100K! So, it may have been a blessing in disguise missing out on the '94. Also, I've heard that the drift on the highway was reduced in the '95. Is that true?

If you can think of anything else I should be weary of, please let me know. Because I'm new to the Cadillac, I'm trying to educate myself as much and as quickly as possible. What people will do for love...of a car!

If you dont know already you can check these cars for any error codes. Thier are stickies in the forums with some more indepth info. I imagine that pressing and holding "off" and "warmer" on the climate control will work on the 95.

Here is a good link to see some changes made year to year
    http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad...995/CAD95D.HTM

ChickenInABreadPan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the info. We have a '94 DeVille and haven't had a single problem with it in 50k miles. I doubt I'll be able to say that about our '01 once it gets up there.

tomc65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

WOW! what an indepth survey of the 94 D.
    Well I have the problem with p039 it states history but light has been on for 7 years. 147000mi. no problem but I would sure like to get light to go out

macigiver is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Well Thank you for the Information, I live about 7 miles from where I work and their is only 1 stop light in the county! basically I drive many miles in town, this car will suck the gas i guess, but at least i will do it in style! At least i know why the head gaskets are leaking, somyone didn't change the collant fluid every year!

falesafe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Post Re: 1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

hi:
    i am a newbie here having just bought a 1994 Cadillac Deville from a friend.
    it has 72,000 miles and is in great shape. my only problems are a fuel gauge stuck on F and the service ride warning is always on.
    i like would like to fix both if not too expensive. from what i have read here it sounds as if the fuel gauge problem is the sender unit. do i have to drop the tank to fix this? i have seen posts saying there is a $25.- part on ebay that can fix this while other's seem to indicate a new sender unit can cost anywhere from $89.- to $300 depending on where and what you buy. recommendations?
    as for the service ride warning is there a way to shut it off? does it really mean anything or a way to get you to take it to the dealer to shut it off?
    thanks,
    frank

Gen
    Gen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Well I had a really nice post on how to fix both items but the site won't allow me to submit links or jpg photos.

Anyway you may have a blown fuse for the ign 3 circuit located in the engine conpartment fuse block. I had the same problem with the fuel gage reading E when in fact it was full, finding a blown fuse and replacing it solved that problem

Service ride control - means that one of your shocks or stuts may be leaking or you have a bad compressor or one of the relay's are not working. Mine was a combo of a bad ground to the relay center in the trunk ( the g400 grd strap is located behind the rear seat drivers side on the back seat crossmember)

Here is a good place to go for passive struts & shocks www dot arnottindustries dot com
    I spent $378 dollars on electronic air struts for the front so this would save you some cash

Gen
    Gen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Installing Passive Struts (Non-Electronic)

Bulletin No.: 00-03-11-001A

PROCEDURE TO DISABLE ILLUMINATION OF SERVICE INDICATOR AFTER THE INSTALLATION OF PASSIVE STRUTS/SHOCKS
    This bulletin is being revised to clarify when this bulletin may be used to turn the service suspension lamp off. Also, a step has been added to the 1991 Cadillac Eldorado and Seville repair. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-03-11-001.

Some owners may bring their vehicles in for service with an illuminated service suspension light. The service suspension indicator lamp is telling the owner that the vehicle is due for strut/shock replacement, a maintenance item. The customer may elect to have passive struts installed in their vehicles due to repair cost savings and/or parts availability. The installation of passive shock/struts will result in handling characteristics which are the equal to a like vehicle without the computer controlled ride, with all other components such as tires, tire pressure, springs, etc. being equal. The installation of (4) new passive struts will cause the continued illumination of the service suspension indicator. If desired by the customer, the service indicator may be disabled AFTER THE INSTALLATION OF THE (4) NEW PASSIVE STRUTS, using the appropriate service procedure listed below. This bulletin DOES NOT authorize this procedure unless (4) NEW PASSIVE STRUTS WERE INSTALLED ON THE VEHICLE.

The wiring harness going to each strut and or shock assembly should be cut and taped back to clean-up the appearance both under the hood and under the vehicle. In addition, each specific vehicle will require a modification as outlined below.

1994-1995 DEVILLE WITH SPEED SENSITIVE SUSPENSION (SSS) AND 4.9L ENGINES ONLY

Disabling Automatic Suspension

For Speed Sensitive Suspension (SSS) Only

the factory approved way to disable the Suspension Warning Light is as follows:

Locate and cut circuit 370 (RED).
    Attach the IPC side of circuit 370 to pin 87A of the relay.
    Attach the module side of circuit 370 to pin 86 of the relay.
    Run a ground wire to relay pin 30.
    Run a wire from a switched ignition (hot in Run) source to relay pin 85.
    The following parts are required to make the correction and are available through your local GM Dealer.

12193601 - Relay
    15306045 - Connector

I have the wireing diagram and the relay info needed to turn off the Service ride control message but I am unable to post jpgs or links at this time due to website security, I will look for other ways to post this data for you.

Gen

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.