1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac Reviews Discussion, 1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hello, I have a 4.9 deville. I've been given different answers about how much oil it needs. 5 or 7 ...
    jamenb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Hello, I have a 4.9 deville. I've been given different answers about how much oil it needs. 5 or 7 quarts. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Jamen Brooks
    jamenb@gmail.com

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

5.5 quarts , a northstar deville takes 7

Thanksso much for the reply. Much appreciated (the guys at jiffylube still don't believe me). Also, another question if you have the time:
    The fan in the car (defrost and vent) only works periodically, do you think i might need a new blower motor or could it be a wire (does the blower motor either work or not work/ or could it work periodically)? Also, could electrical problems cause the car to lose power or be chuggy in acceleration?

Jamen

thats easy , dont ever take the car to jiffy lube .....i lost a transmission to those bastards ....there clueless ...

i would check the connector at the blower motor , they come loose from time to time and simply need shoved back in after a little cleaning

as for the chug and loss of power it could be a host of things , do you have a "check engine" light?

thanks again for the reply. you're my new hero. I don't have a check engine light.

chalkoutline is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy View Post
    For my Review I will write about the 1994 Sedan Deville.

First is a key when your looking at just about any Cadillac, push “off” and “warmer”, this will yield any trouble codes for the car, if your looking at a Deville, write any codes down and come back and see us.
    Stoneage: I tried this on my 94 Deville and could not get it to work.

First I assume when you say push "off" your are talking about on the climate control area. Thats the only area I see an off button. And "warmer" is the red button that raises the temp.

Does the engine need to be running or just the ignition. Do both of the buttons have to be pushed at the same time? I tried several combinations and could not see any codes come up. Where do they come up at?

Thanks!

EDIT: Oops, never mind. I got it to work!

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

I remember the first time I put it in diagnostic mode, I was amazed!

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Me too, leanred a lot was wrong with the car!

beverlysutton is offline Cadillac Owners Member

HELP!
    I am needing to know about the "codes" you mentioned.....I do not understand..."OFF" and "WARMER"??? I am lost... do you mean the A/C off ??? and the red bar for "warmer" at the same time or what??? I tried this with no luck...sorry...

I have a continous "Service Ride Control" message, that has been on for YEARS now, Cadillac says it's no problem and I could come by and have it disabled.

Also, where can you, inexpensively, purchase parts for this vehicle, since most are not being made anymore.

Can you get these coolant pellets somewhere else, besides the Cadillac dealership...which is $100. for anything!!!...

It gets VERY HOT here and since I have had more than one Caddy, I've had to have the rear view mirrors replaced a number of times...any TIPS for avoiding this happening yet again? That glue just doesn't do for the life of the car and the dealerships are fairly nice about it, but it is a hassle to go in to have 'em glue it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by beverlysutton View Post
    HELP!
    I am needing to know about the "codes" you mentioned.....I do not understand..."OFF" and "WARMER"??? I am lost... do you mean the A/C off ??? and the red bar for "warmer" at the same time or what??? I tried this with no luck...sorry...

I have a continous "Service Ride Control" message, that has been on for YEARS now, Cadillac says it's no problem and I could come by and have it disabled.

Also, where can you, inexpensively, purchase parts for this vehicle, since most are not being made anymore.

Can you get these coolant pellets somewhere else, besides the Cadillac dealership...which is $100. for anything!!!...

It gets VERY HOT here and since I have had more than one Caddy, I've had to have the rear view mirrors replaced a number of times...any TIPS for avoiding this happening yet again? That glue just doesn't do for the life of the car and the dealerships are fairly nice about it, but it is a hassle to go in to have 'em glue it back up.
    push and hold boath of those button you mentioned at the same time , itll go into diagnostics after a second ....

as for parts , youd be surpised how reasonable most parts are outside the stealership ....but some parts , like the waterpump are worth every penny at the stealership

i remeber only paying 10 bucks for the pellets at the dealer ill check tomorrow when im there workin and make sure they still run that price and if they can still be bought

the rear view mirror issue is classic GM ....it happens , not much you can do but autozone and other parts stores carry kits to glue them back in place ...

cadillac will tell you its no problem with the service suspension light , and there right it really isnt , but it will cost you to have them bypass the system not only for the kit , but they wont touch it unless you go ahead and buy new struts thru them too ...plan on close to a grand to have them do it for you ....

also , be sure to not be a stranger around here , esp when you go to the dealer , dont be afird when they recomend various services to say "let me think about it tonight" and stop by and ask us if it is something you should do ....were here to help and have a good time ....

enjoy your 94 !

mazman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the info Stoneage. Very informative. Here are a few problems that need addressing.

1. My 94 Deville (250 G miles) failed the emissions test. I have changed the (egr) valve, (cool ante temp. sensor), (throttle positioning sensor), (cat. converter), and am waiting for the (intake manifold temp. sensor). What else should I be looking at? Also when I had the throttle body off to change the sensor I noticed a build up of carbon in the manifold. I runs rich on start up.

2. The shocks are bad I think, but it could be a sensor of some kind that is not recognizing low speed from high speed, and the top plate is making a rattling noise on the drivers side when I hit a bump. I am unsure what to do about that. Shocks don't come cheap, although I do most of the work myself and that save a few dollars.

3. The drivers side will not unlock when shifting to park but I now know how to fix that. Thanks for that info.

4. When I shift from drive to reverse there is a definite clunk which could be the motor rocking on the mounts or something like that.

5. When I did the code test (55 says current)? And after I start the car (46) keeps flashing after the apply brake to shift message appears? The rest of the codes say (history).

Well, that's enough for you to chew on for now. I would certainly appreciate any comments you may have.

Thanks in advance,

Mazman

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Looked into a bad o2 sensor for your failed emissions and rich running?

Gmoviv is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Re: 1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

I dunno if you're still checking this thread, but i need to know if you'd recommend a northstar engine over the base or not. i've heard mixed reviews of the northstar, but have yet to hear anything definitive about the base. can you help?

thanks, forgive my newbie-ness

mazman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Smile Re: 1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by behind-bars View Post
    Looked into a bad o2 sensor for your failed emissions and rich running?
    Thanks Behind bars, I will replace the 02 and see what happens. This may be whats causing a hesitation when accelerating from stop to go.

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Quote Originally Posted by mazman View Post
    Thanks Behind bars, I will replace the 02 and see what happens. This may be whats causing a hesitation when accelerating from stop to go.

Not sure if it would cause hesitation or not, but it could definately contriburte to rich running, I was getting 9mpg and replacing it kicked it up to about 14 in very shirt city trips, I assume my emmisions were high, but we dont have testing here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.