northstar reliability
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Reviews Discussion, northstar reliability in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; i am looking to buy a used cadillac. i like and need a big car. i've been looking at '96 ...
    glennpalmore is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

northstar reliability

i am looking to buy a used cadillac. i like and need a big car. i've been looking at '96 and newer devilles. i have seen many really nice looking devilles online.
    since i've been doing my research, i have come across some horror stories about the fwd northstar engines.
    are the northstar engines junk? i understand that they are very expensive to repair.
    a mechanic told me that i would be better off with a later model ('94-'96) fleetwood with rwd and the LT-1 350c.i. engine as it has a long history of being a reliable engine?
    i just don't know if i should chance a deville with the northstar engine or not. i can get a much newer deville for the same price, or less, than a '94-96 fleetwood.
    any advice from someone with some knowledge and experience would be very helpful.

thank you,
    glenn

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: northstar reliability

Your mechanic is generally right. Its best to have a Northstar car if you have money set aside for head gasket repairs or the talent, time, and space to do it yourself.

If not, buy something else.

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Up to and including 1996 devilles had the 4.9 liter engine, these are a great engine, almost bullet proof.

The deville had the 4.9 from 91 to 96.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

4.9L ended in '95. The '96 MY was Northstar only.

It sounds like you are looking for value in the luxury segment. That's hard to come by. Like you state, sure the Fleetwoods may be cheaper to maintain, but there are two things to watch out for: the nicer examples go for more than they are worth much of the time, and the newest example is 15 years old now. It's a wash.

If you are looking for a value, I'd have to recommend a Mercury Grand Marquis. Decent looking car, comes with most of the options the Deville did, but doesn't carry the price tag of it's sister Town Car or the Fleetwood. Quite easy to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    4.9L ended in '95. The '96 MY was Northstar only.

It sounds like you are looking for value in the luxury segment. That's hard to come by. Like you state, sure the Fleetwoods may be cheaper to maintain, but there are two things to watch out for: the nicer examples go for more than they are worth much of the time, and the newest example is 15 years old now. It's a wash.

If you are looking for a value, I'd have to recommend a Mercury Grand Marquis. Decent looking car, comes with most of the options the Deville did, but doesn't carry the price tag of it's sister Town Car or the Fleetwood. Quite easy to maintain.

Your right, I looked on carsurvey.org. to find the engine size, their first listing in 96 showed
    a 4.9, I looked in one of books and it is a northstar.

02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006
    Readup on the northstar. Any vintage caddy you buy is going to nesd something.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.