2000 Cadillac Seville STS - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac Reviews Discussion, 2000 Cadillac Seville STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ryan, your headlight can be polished to near new. use the meguire's headlight restorer. its $20 and it DOES work. ...
    mighty_quad4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Re: 2000 Cadillac Seville STS

ryan, your headlight can be polished to near new. use the meguire's headlight restorer. its $20 and it DOES work. i recommend useing a power drill as a portable will be eating batteries quickly. you will probably spend about 3-4 hours on it total. mine were pretty bad and ended up looking nearly new. it improved light brightness quite a bit. for application, i just polished the light in 1 hour increments and cleaned it after each session.

somewhereiniowa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SEVILLE AND STS

I just recently bought, Aug 4th to be exact, a 2000 Cadillac STS in forest green color. I had been searching for a DTS but decided to include the STS in my searches. I currently own a 92' Seville. It was time for me to get something newer. A business in the area advertises they will search for the car for you. They go to auctions. He picked up this car for $3495 plus his 10% fee, came to $3850 that I paid him.

I drove it home, which is a 40 minute drive, only to have the Service Engine Soon light come on. Then the car started to get really hot. The message on the dash said Engine Hot-turn AC off. I made it home, holding my breath the whole way. I added some antifreeze and water to it and ran the service codes. It came up with PCM P1133 which is Heated Oxygen Sensor H02S Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1. Since adding the coolant, I haven't had any heat issues but I also haven't needed to be on the highway or turn the air on. It goes into the shop Monday with a list for the mechanic to look at and see what all it needs.

I noticed that I there is a lot of rust on both back doors, covered with paint. I put gas in it the other day and also noticed the gas opening, after taking the cap off, is all rusted! I had found some forums on the web talking about this rust issue and the water drainage problem. I am going to have those checked out as well. I printed out all the forums to give to the mechanic.

At least with getting the car as reasonable as I did, I have some cushion to put in a $1000 or more if it needs it. So far I just love this car!!! I am keeping my old one till all the issues are fixed on my new one. It's pretty cool having two Cadillac's in my garage, both paid for...and I'm a single mom.....

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

I've enjoyed my Seville very much, even though it's showing it's age in certain areas. I've got a loaner '08 CTS weekend (damn tire is leaking air and my dealer isn't open for service on Saturday) and I still don't like it as much as my 'ol Seville.

I would be EXTREMELY weary about the motor running hot though. That sounds just like the beginning of the common Northstar headgasket problem. Make sure to ask your mechanic to do a block test to check, and if it comes up positive be prepared to spend alot more than $1000 to get it fixed. However if you live near or close to Ontario, you can take the car up to Jake (look up 97EldoCoupe on the forums) and get it fixed for around $2000. That is quite a bit cheaper than paying $4000 to get it done at a dealership. That could explain why you got the car for so cheap, because I still 2000 STS's with 100k +/- going for around $5-6k in good shape.

Good luck and hopefully it's something alot less expensive than a HG repair. If it turns out to be, I'd fix it and you should be able to get another 100k+ out of your motor.

smith2650 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

Hi all...This is my first time here at this forum. I currently have 2 Cadillacs in my stable, one 1972 Eldorado Conv and a 2000 STS. I purchased my STS 4.5 years ago with 25K on it. It's original sticker was $55.1, and I paid $18,000 for it. Today it's about 10 years old with 87k on it. It's a real beauty in Crimson Red with factory chrome wheels. Frankly, it's been a dream car, one owner, 5 yrs old at purchase with only 25K. I really fell into this one and I've truely enjoyed almost 5 years of happy driving. Car has every option but backing sensors and Nav.

Problems...many seem to be ones you all have found, and I wince everytime I go near the dealer. Other than oil changes, I never get out of there for under $500.00. Major problems...Driver seat heater element been replaced 3 times, crank shaft sensor...only major problems. Current problem is rear leveling system. Warning came on last year for suspension system. Turned out to be leveling valve. Had it replaced, but since then rear of car is jacked up like hot rod. Dealer says system is operating correctly, but even my headlights are pointed down in front of the car... Any Suggestions???

Update on my 2000 STS. It still overheats ONLY when the AC or the heater is on. I have had two block tests done, flushed the radiator and added the sealant tabs, the fans are all working like they are supposed to. Had the purge valve checked to see it if it was blocked and it's not. I never have a problem with overheat as long as I don't turn on the heat or the AC. It goes in to a different mechanic on Tuesday to be looked at. I have searched and searched the internet for this problem and can't find anything. Thoughts or suggestions? Besides trade it in...

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Just a suggestion, because you sound frustrated and ready to dump your car.
    Not may people read this subforum ... why not post your query in the Northstar technical forum, where the experts will chime in?
    Even the Seville forum is visited far more frequently than this area.

Best of luck, I hope its a simple fix.

You'll have much, much better luck posting in the Seville forum where the Seville experts (mainly Sub and Ranger) will be there to help you out as much as they possibly can.

It's been awhile since i've updated anything here, so I'll just do a quick one. The car now had 78k miles and it's been doing great lately. A couple of months ago my best friend's sister backed into the car and cracked the headlight and scuffed up the bumper but a call to her insurance company and a week in the body shop has her looking like new! I've also re-dyed my seats (I don't know if I mentioned this in here before) where the dye was coming off and they look great! The only issue I continue to deal with is the "Service Theft" message. I recently tried taking some rubbing alcohol and putting it on the key and seeing if that cleans up the contacts inside the switch. It helped, but it still randomly shows up. I did notice alot of black gunk on the key so I'm thinking a few more passes and it should clear the message for good. I'm going to finally get around to fixing my dented roof one day, along with putting in a new passenger tailight and trunk panel. Tint and a strut tower brace will follow along soon as well.

Ryan, its been quite awhile since you've posted any updates on your STS.

How have the past few month of ownership been?

Still running smooth?

The past couple of months have been tough on the Seville. It has needed quite alot of expensive work done and it's getting to the point where I can't afford to own it anymore with me going to school and working part time.

Around October of last year my A/C started acting funny. It would loose Freon at rate of a 1lb every couple of months. The driver's side would start to become warm and gradually the A/C just didn't cool the car at all. I had it at the dealership several times for this problem and it was finally fixed last week. The A/C line that goes from the compressor to the accumulator was leaking freon. My tech thought it was going to be the evaporator so I was lucky to escape that. However while he was working on the A/C I was informed that one of my radiator side tanks had a small crack in and it had started leaking coolant. Well that was unexpected but $500 later I had a whole new radiator. My left CV joint was busted and it's going to need replacing in the near future. I had two blown Bose speakers that I replaced as well. My motor mount busted in early January and was replaced along with two new front tires.

All in all I have spent around $1500 in the past 3 months on the car and it's only March. At this point I have the car listed for sale because I'm worried about what is going to happen next. I haven't had many calls on it but I hopefully somebody would like to own a really clean Cadillac. If I get lowballed or don't get what I ask, I'm going to keep it and just see what else comes along. If anybody is interested in the car, PM me. I'm trying to get $6750 for it but I am open for offers. 85k miles. All original records and always serviced at Cadillac dealer. I'm the 2nd owner of it. Sterling Silver w/ Pewter leather interior. Thanks.

I traded in my POS 2000 STS the end of January. Got to where it wouldn't even start. The battery was fine, I think it was in the ignition switch. It also needed all new brakes, rotors, etc. It started to have a leak somewhere. I said screw it. Traded it in the end of January and bought a Buick!! Good luck to you on selling yours.

Ryan, if your STS is pretty much sorted out by now, you may consider riding it out.
    Many people on this very forum have a rash of expensive repairs, and then go for long periods
    of time with just gas and oil, nothing more.
    It would be a shame if someone picked up your car, then drove it free of repairs thanks to your service diligence.

I probably am going to ride it out because if you think about it... for the price you pay for one of these what else could you find with 1/2 the luxury, comfort, power, or style? Not a damn thing. At this point the car is behaving... I do need a CV shaft and I have a annoying, but not killer clunk/rattle coming from the from of the car that I need to get looked at but otherwise a good running Cadillac.

Plus I haven't had any calls on the car and I figure it's not a hot sell because these cars are on the market for next to nothing and there are plenty to choose from. I doubt somebody would find one as clean as mine with the service history but you really couldn't ask for a cleaner car. If it starts giving me more expensive problems I'm going to have to let it go.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Yikes... I have been dithering between another LS400 or STS lately and was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a pristine 2003 STS at a dealer in Georgia if I could score it for 7k. Its sable black and still has some of the 100k warranty left somehow.

However, after reading through all 4 pages of this thread, IF I end up getting anything (and its likely I won't as the Jeep is fine) I think I'm squarely in the LS400 camp again. It is amazing how much car those are for such a small amount of money... just like the Seville. As an auto enthusiast the very principle of a Lexus makes me sick, but the LS400 in particular from 1998-2000 is an absolutely amazing engineering marvel... even more-so as time goes on than the years that came after. Lexus' "W140" if you will.

A few months ago I just about sold the Seville. I was sick of dealing with the constant worry of a looming $500 repair, the annoying rattles that emitted through the cabin, the suspension that started getting soft and weak, and the motor that seemed like it was going to break any day.

Then I realized I'm driving a 10 1/2 year old luxury sedan... it's not perfect. It has its flaws but they aren't terrible. The car is still (in my eyes) absolutely stunning. The paint still gleams like showroom new; the interior still smells factory fresh and it still drives smooth and comfortably. I'm completely OCD about the car, but I've really toned that down in the past few months. Since getting all of those expensive repairs done this past March the car hasn't been giving me much trouble at all. The only issue I did have was the motor mount that completely broke in half, no thanks to my lead foot. Pissed that I was faced with another $200 repair bill, I rushed the car on craigslist and had a few people interested with the price set at $5250. I could have sold the car and had cash in my hand, but once I started rationally thinking about it I knew I was making a mistake. I know that I will never be satisfied to drive anything else but a Cadillac for the rest of my life, and I quickly took the car off and continued to drive it. Turns out, my motor mount was covered under warranty and I didn't pay a cent.

The car continues to amaze me with it's cleanly sculpted body that never ages, an interior that still looks fresh and is comfortable yet ergonomic, and a powerplant that thrills while providing great gas mileage and a exhaust note that would rival any sports car. I love my Seville STS very much, and it has provided me with 2 years of great service. I'm not gonna lie... I've driven the car hard. It has had a few hiccups along the way yet it never ceases to give up. It still needs a few bits and pieces but otherwise I'm happy with how my ownership has turned out with it so far. When it dies, I'm going to find the lowest mileage '03 STS I can find. The newer RWD STS doesn't give me a similar satisfaction that Seville provides. The Seville STS is the perfect Cadillac, and the perfect car for me.

Haven't updated this thread in nearly 4 months so I'm gonna give a quick update on the car. It's definitely been behaving itself within the last few months; nothing really new or interesting has gone wrong. Within the last few months my 3rd LED brake light has nearly gone out however. Only a small segment is left that works; no biggie, I found a nice replacement from an '02 SLS on eBay for $85 and I plan on picking that up soon. Car is gonna need a new set of tires soon, and I asked my parents to get me a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4's to cure the vibrations and improve the handling. The car is closing in on 100k miles and you can start to feel things getting "worn out". I still need to replace the CV joint but it's only started clicking a little bit. Brakes and rotors will need to be done soon as well, and I would love to replace the control arms and start getting a few suspension parts out of the way. I'm gonna keep these struts going as long as possible before I replace them, and when I do so I will go the active Monroe route.

The car is still as comfortable, powerful, elegant, cleanly sculpted and thrilling as the day I bought it 2 1/2 years ago. It pisses me off, but ehh it's like having a wife. On the days it doesn't bitch, it's a truly great automobile.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.