2000 Cadillac Seville STS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac Reviews Discussion, 2000 Cadillac Seville STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Best feature for me was the pride of ownership, followed by the styling, and general feeling of solidity. After that, ...
    ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Re: 2000 Cadillac Seville STS

Best feature for me was the pride of ownership, followed by the styling, and general feeling of solidity.
    After that, it was the sound system, HID's, and gorgeous 17" rims.
    Hated the TPS sensors ... on hot days on the hwy, that damn "pressure too high" msg would pop up on the DIC ... giving me the disconcerting feeling that the car would blow up at any moment.

Unlike some here, I found my 99 and 01 had a more refined level of quality ... the newer style was quieter, plusher ride in town, and had less wind noise. I never had a single drivetrain issue with 4 STS', but had tons of nuisance issues, mostly electrical.

I hope the balance works for you. On my 99, I tried two sets of rims and tires, lots of balancing, all to no avail. On my 2001, the shimmy occured with both my stock rims/tires, and my winter steelies and snows.
    I switched from Pirelli PZeros to Michelins, drove 1 hour to find the closest Hunter machine, but nothing helped.
    Finally, I went to my local GM dealer, and allowed them to put old fashioned weights on the outside of my rims. It didn't totally solve the shimmy issue, but effectively eliminated 90 percent of the problem.
    I'm convinced that Logan has it down pat.
    As this platform ages, there is a multitude of parts that become
    prone to transmitting vibrations through the wheels into the cockpit.
    The only sure fire cure are new factory rims/tires, which worked for Logan ... but who knows for how long.
    I test drove both of my newer STS', noticed the vibration issues, had the seller's pay for balancing, and watched the vibration worsen as the tires accumulated a few more miles. I knew I should've run away after the test drives, but the cars were soooo nice, I figured I could solve the issue where others had failed.
    Sorry for the rant ... I intend to buy another STS or ETC as a toy to go with my daily drivers .... a Maxima, an 08 Mazda 3, and the dreaded Lexus ES300, which I actually really like ... I know, its similar to your old Camry, but my two boring Lexus cars (LS400) never have any issues ... none.

If your shimmy doesn't go away, try the old fashioned outside weights. It definitely made my STS more driveable at highway speeds.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

To be honest, the shimmy doesn't bother me so bad. I usually never go above 65MPH, and the one time I was on the Interstate for a long period of time it wasn't present. When I got the car, it had a slight shimmy, but nothing major. Now, it's extremely noticeable. That's what I get for not rotating the tires at my last oil change...

But my favorite thing about this car has always been the styling. I mean, nothing is as elegant and sophisticated as the Seville STS. Sure all that other fancy crap it comes with is great, but if I didn't have the leather, bose stereo, heated seats, etc. I wouldn't care. Also, I find the ride of the newer model better. It doesn't crash over bumps like mine does, and it seems to do a better job of balancing ride and handling. It also has a solidity about it that mine just doesn't have. However, the styling and interior design are no match for Seville. The Seville's are fine cars, just have to watch out for issues. Since all that headgasket nonsense already happened to my car, I expect to get many good years out of mine.

My Toyota had some issues that were extremely annoying. The bitch rattled more everyday I drove it, the sunroof was broken and was going to cost $1000 to get fixed, and the paint was becoming faded and scratched more easily than other 8 year old cars should. However, as an around town car it was great. 25MPG, decent stereo, best A/C ever put in a car. But when I drive it now, I realize how much I love my Cadillac.

Ahh, you're lucky you can keep it under 65mph.

My last STS was smooth as silk until about 68-75mph, then smoothed out again at 80mph. What a bitch when you're driving 4 hours to a wedding with a car full of family, and traffic is moving at 70mph.
    My two choices were to drive in the RH lane slower than traffic, or keep it at 80 plus.
    Thank God for the outside weights ... it made the car much more enjoyable, almost like a new ride.

Re your Camry, it sure looked nice in your photos.
    My coworker bought a new Solara in 04, and it soon developed a few nasty rattles, which drove him nuts. He switched to a used ES300, and has driven it for 5 years on our frost heaved, pot hole'd, crappy Orillia streets. Not a rattle. Same platform, but if anyone thinks the Toyota is built to the same standards as the Lexus, then they haven't driven both vehicles through a Canadian winter.

I considered buying a used STS last week ... I must be a masochist, but I miss diagnosing and trying to fix little issues. My body guy had a customer selling his 98 STS ... it had a $4k paint job in 2006, fixing the sun damage caused by Arizona winters.
    The car looked brand new, and the blue on blue colour scheme was quite dramatic. New Michelins, perfect chrome rims. I forgot how hefty everything feels in the STS ... a nice, muscular feel.

I passed because my next one pretty much has to be crimson pearl, with a solid service history. This one had 80k, avg service history, and they wanted too much at $5k. Right now, you can get into a 2002 with HID and Nav for under $7k ... I just have to be patient.

Maybe I was just lucky, but my 4 STS' all had between 80k-110k, and I never had an engine or transmission issue. Every other issue I read about occured ... you name it, I experienced it. Still, it gave the cars a personality. I might feel differently had I gone through a $3k repair, but for me, the motors were rock solid. I changed every fluid, belt, plug, fpr, etc. and never had a hiccup.
    Still the best used car value on the market. Up here, we have 2004 STS' for sale. There are currently 4 for sale on Autotrader, and you can get a decent one for around $11-12 Cdn. What a bargain for a car that has worked out many of its issues.

My Camry was a great car, but it was too mundane for me. I had actually looked at a few ES300's and even a few '98-'01 GS300 and GS400's, but they're still going for $15k with low mileage. My neighbor has an '03 ES300 with 130k miles and it's rock solid. Still looks great, and not a rattle in sight.

Crimson Red is tied with Sable Black as my favorite Seville colors. Either color would've been great in my book, though I'm happy with Sterling Silver.

Funny, I never thought I would like Sterling Silver, but it may have been my favourite.
    I had the 17" rims, and added the centre caps with the red crest, and limo tint.
    The silver really shows off the fat wheel arches, and accentuates every curve on the body.
    A very classy combination.
    The car is probably too large to carry off the crimson pearl, but something about that 3 stage
    paint does it for me.

An update on my Seville. I was going to order a new headlight since the old one on the passenger side is looking like hell. GMPartsDirect had a price of $363... not bad. Then I add the shipping costs and tax, came out to $453. Soo... I didn't order one. I'll try another one of those headlight kits. Or I'll get a professional to fix it.

But, I did order a new intermediate steering shaft and bearing, front door speaker, and ignition switch. My shaft has been making noises for the longest time and the steering is slightly sloppy. The front door speaker blew a few months ago and is in need of replacement (going to order subwoofer soon). Finally the I'm 85% sure the ignition switch is going bad, so while my dealer is putting all this stuff in I figured they can replace it and get that over with. Pretty happy to get started on my list. Not too much left to do!

tman2093 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond STS with Sirius, 2001 Silverado

Ryan, you should contact Bose directly about that speaker. I recall a post from a while back about someone who got a free replacement from Bose because Bose does not want a car rolling around with a crappy sounding speakers. Search for it. I think that guy got a free subwoofer.

Damn I will have to check that out. Thanks!

Well it's been a crazy month for the 'ol Seville. Had the intermediate shaft changed out, new Bose speaker installed, and my new ignition switch. Price for the labor came out to $300 (got a $100 discount. yay!). Unfortunately, when installing my ignition switch my tech told me my theft module was damaged, and replaced that. However, this has not solved my security light problem; I've been told it's a possible BCM problem, but I'm not throwing any more money at that issue.

An even worse issue was awakening to go to work one morning and seeing a large puddle of water on my drivers seat. After sitting at the dealer for 2 days, I had a newly resealed windshield that didn't cost me a dime. Unfortunately, it still leaks badly. At this moment, it sits at my dealer awaiting a fix (In the meantime, I've got a '08 CTS loaner so I'm not too upset). I believe a new windshield is getting installed at no cost to me, since it has always leaked. I just hope no rust found its way in there.

SPreston2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K

Nice review, I too have a 2000 STS and mine hasnt givin me a single problem (knock on wood). I love the styling of these cars and actually prefer this body style over the newer redesigned 05+ models. I added a E&G grille and the only thing I wish my 2000 had was the magne-ride suspension, HID headlights, back up sensors, and newer large screen nav system. Everything works great, sunroof is awesome, no trunk leaks, cranks instantly, and only has a very faint shimmy at 67-71mph. Im planning on getting some of the newer 17" wheels with some serious performance meat. Overall I love this car! I got the car with 60,000 miles for $4500 (gotta love recessions lol) and I couldnt be happier!!

It's been an extremely quiet month for the Seville (knock on the beautiful Zebrano wood of course). The car continues to impress with it's power, elegant bodystyle, and it's ride. I continue to enjoy driving this car, and all of my friends and family are impressed with the car. I'm still nitpicky over the crappily assembled interior, which does not fit well in a car costing $53k in 2000.

My only issues this month was a mysterious stalling, which happened a few months back in the same exact spot on the road. I've also experienced a loss of power only once, and I'm attributing both to the crankshaft position sensors, though it has thrown up no codes. My car still has the 60MPH vibration, though I'm getting new tires thrown on soon so I'll get a good road force balance and alignment to hopefully solve both. Of course, I still get a random "Service Theft System" a couple of times a day, which I attribute to a small electrical short that I'm not paying to fix. It doesn't harm the car, and restarting the car always fixes it.

Within the next month, I'm getting a new intake plenum, fuel pressure regulator, possible CKP's, a cleaned throttle body, a re-adjusted drivers door striker, new intermediate shaft bearing installed, new tires with RFB and alignment, and I'll probably go ahead and get some new spark plugs and spark plug boots thrown into the mix; i'll also get my dealer to adjust my glovebox, which is terribly misaligned. In the springtime, I plan on getting a transmission flush w/ filter, a recharged A/C. I'm getting my passenger side headlight polished professionally, getting a few dents fixed, and touching up some paint. After this, the car should be in showroom shape.

Quote Originally Posted by SPreston2001 View Post
    Nice review, I too have a 2000 STS and mine hasnt givin me a single problem (knock on wood). I love the styling of these cars and actually prefer this body style over the newer redesigned 05+ models. I added a E&G grille and the only thing I wish my 2000 had was the magne-ride suspension, HID headlights, back up sensors, and newer large screen nav system. Everything works great, sunroof is awesome, no trunk leaks, cranks instantly, and only has a very faint shimmy at 67-71mph. Im planning on getting some of the newer 17" wheels with some serious performance meat. Overall I love this car! I got the car with 60,000 miles for $4500 (gotta love recessions lol) and I couldnt be happier!!
    What a friggin steal! I payed $10k for my car in June '08 with 54k miles, though it had headgasket work, water crossover done, and a newly resealed bottom end among many other things. I adore the car, and much prefer my bodystyle over the '05+, though the new models drive 10x better. The only feature I wish my car had was the MagneRide, which I have yet to test on a Seville. I plan on keeping the car for another 2 1/2 years, then I'll trade up to a new STS.

tman2093 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond STS with Sirius, 2001 Silverado

Not to rub your nose in it or makie you feel bad about all the issues with yours, but here's my monthly Seville update:

Bought some gas.
    Washed it.
    Bought some more gas.

Been a rough one for both of us!

I'm glad to see you finally washed the poor girl!

Most of that stuff is just me being a nitpicky bastard. The only real necessary stuff is the CKP's, fuel pressure regulator, and the intake plenum. Everything else is just optional, but I'd like to have it done anyway so I can sleep better at night.

Ryan, are you sure you want to flush your transmission?
    I found a simple drain, refill, and new screens safely did the job.
    Do you have a budget in mind for all of this work? Sounds pricey.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.