Has anyone tuned a 4.9 Allante?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Tuning Discussion, Has anyone tuned a 4.9 Allante? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well... That's essentially what it is. I have a 4.9 in a Fiero. A couple of months ago I installed ...
    Raydar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 4.9/Allante/Fiero hybrid.

Has anyone tuned a 4.9 Allante?

Well... That's essentially what it is.
    I have a 4.9 in a Fiero. A couple of months ago I installed an Allante intake manifold (and the steel rocker supports, of course.)
    I imported the fueling and timing tables from the Allante bin, into the 4.9 bin. EGR has been disabled (since the Allante doesn't have it.) I also took into account that MAT sensor is up in the plenum and not in the lower intake. (Used the Allante temp/VE correction table.)

It goes like stink, but I have a ping that I *can not* get rid of. It's in a very narrow set of parameters. BLM cells 18 and 24. (70 - 95 KPA and 2400 - 2800 RPM.) That translates to fairly heavy throttle, but not WOT.

I have added fuel up to 100% VE, and I have taken at least 10 degrees of advance from the timing tables, and combinations of the above. I even tried backing off the base timing to ~TDC. It just runs like kwrap, and still pings. BLMs are running 124-130.

The problem seems to be better (although not resolved) once it's good and hot.
    My fuel pressure is running about 38 lbs at idle. Unplugging the vacuum from the FPR results in ~ 43 lbs of pressure.
    The injectors are brand new (remanned) 19# Bosch type IIIs. Matched set.

I'm using TunerCat and the NS1 mask. The base 4.9 broadcast code is BWYH.

So... I think I've covered all of the usual stuff.
    What am I missing?
    Is it possible that my PCM is just bad? (It's a 2240.)

Helluva first post, eh?

Thanks.

(Oh... I've already had someone try to sell me back the preliminary "hybrid" bin that I gave him. He didn't know it was me. Gotta love that. )

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Re: Has anyone tuned a 4.9 Allante?

go over to Monodax

Thanks man.
    I'll give that a try. Last time I looked, the most recent 4.9 post was made by me, about 3 years ago.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Look at the PCM/ECM and see what the broadcast code is, I can probably get a good idea then if I can or not.

I have the stuff, just need to know the codes.... For sure need to read the PROM itself, so that is a must. Those are too rare to have them already out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Raydar View Post
    Thanks man.
    I'll give that a try. Last time I looked, the most recent 4.9 post was made by me, about 3 years ago.

My stock 4.9 broadcast code is BWYH.
    It uses an NS1 mask.

I've merged a bunch of the tables from the Allante (AUMF bin, CD1 mask) into that bin.

I kind of detailed all of that in my first post.

I figure that either:
    A. I'm missing something.
    -or-
    B. The 4.9 (or at least my 4.9) just won't run correctly without EGR.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

I haven't personally looked at the 4.9L stuff, so few people want to actually tune them.

Can you send me the .bin? I do a lot of tuning on other engines (OBD2), but might be able to see what is up.

I know there must be a ton of timing added when EGR is on, is there a separate EGR timing table or is it all merged into the main table(s)?

If merged into the main table you will need to pull around 2-5 degreed out of the window where EGR is told to operate. Yes, these engines like EGR...

Quote Originally Posted by Raydar View Post
    My stock 4.9 broadcast code is BWYH.
    It uses an NS1 mask.

I've merged a bunch of the tables from the Allante (AUMF bin, CD1 mask) into that bin.

I kind of detailed all of that in my first post.

I figure that either:
    A. I'm missing something.
    -or-
    B. The 4.9 (or at least my 4.9) just won't run correctly without EGR.

Looks like I don't have enough posts or longevity to send a PM.
    I can't find your email.
    If you'll send it to me at shamilton2mindspring.com (replace the obviously wrong character) I'll send you whatever bins you want.
    Thanks,

Steve

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.