Anyone want to start a 3.6L tuning discussion?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Tuning Discussion, Anyone want to start a 3.6L tuning discussion? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm going to start tuning a 2004 3.6L using hptuners. It looks like gm made it complicated than needs to ...
    chevyhighperformance is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Anyone want to start a 3.6L tuning discussion?

I'm going to start tuning a 2004 3.6L using hptuners. It looks like gm made it complicated than needs to be. Anyone have any experience tuning the 3.6L?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hogg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 1998 STS

Re: Anyone want to start a 3.6L tuning discussion?

Too complicated? Its a 3.6 V6 that outputs over 300hp. Its going to have some complications. In 1995 a V8 of 350 cubic inches was needed for 300hp in the Vette LT1.

Things have come a long way.
    peace
    Hog

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

3.6L DI or not DI?

But the torque and hp curve of the LT1 is FAR fatter than the 3.6L (less peaky). 300 HP is still 300 HP worth of work, the 350 can do it lower rpm than the 3.6L, but 300 hp is 300 hp..... But overall these days it is amazing they are getting a small engine to some good hp.

But todays engines NEED to have all that tuning ability. This is the only way to fully characterize the whole needs of the engine and meet them.

If you have questions, post here, I will do what I can to help. Post your tune if you can and we can take a look (some have HPT here, some know people who do....)

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

do you think I can disassemble the VDF?

Yes, the same way I am going to do the one I am going to work on....

Might need a cable upgrade first.

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    do you think I can disassemble the VDF?

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Too complicated? Its a 3.6 V6 that outputs over 300hp. Its going to have some complications. In 1995 a V8 of 350 cubic inches was needed for 300hp in the Vette LT1.

Things have come a long way.
    peace
    Hog
    The 3.6L is rated for 255HP. My point is that the tuning is more complicated that it needs to be. For example, there are two main (warm) cam phasing tables (one for intake and one for the exhaust) and four spark timing tables (based on intake and exhaust valve timing position). Every operating point on the main (warm) cam phasing tables results in one unique sparking timing value that is derrived from the four spark timing tables. So, why not just have one spark timing table for the main (warm) cam phasing? You can have a separate timing table for main (cold) cam phasing. The ECM knows to use the main (cold) cam phasing table; why can't the ECM also know to use a main (cold) spark timing table.

Our 3.6L is not direct injection.

Here are some results of my first tune on the 2004 CTS 3.6L. I refined the intake and exhaust valve timing tables and the 4 spark timing tables to be essentially the same as an 07 3.6L. I then modified the tables and the WOT A/F. The result is a better idle and MPG so far. According to the instantaneous MPG in the DIC, with the base 07 tune, I was getting 25 MPG on a certain stretch of highway. With the new tune the MPG went up to 27 MPG.

On a certain hill at a slower speed with the 07 tune, my MPG was 18. With the new tune the MPG went up to 21-22. What happened here is that the engine efficiency went up and for the given throttle position the and the transmission was able to stay in an upper gear going up the hill which increased overall efficiency.

WOT performance has improved, but there is more room for improvement. I only had 91 octane in the car, but I am going to tune for 93 octane.

I probably should first tune the cam phasing tables, then adjust, and then spark timing.

My problem is that I'm having trouble envisioning the cam phasing for every operating point. For example, for a given operating point, I couldn't instantly jump in and move the cam phasing table in the correct direction - I would have to experiment some.

For example, at 2000 RPM and 30% load as an inital guess do I add 2 degrees of timing to the intake and leave the exhaust alone, do I subtract 2 degrees of timing from the intake and leave the exhaust alone, etc.

Simple things aren't anymore. They need to characterize EVERYTHING about the engine operation, now that we have fast enough PCM's they are doing it. They wouldn't if emissions and power didn't need to be met.

Yes, they are complicated, and it takes time to learn why they did it and what to do about tuning it. Simple single timing tables aren't enough to run on the fine edge.

always I mean always remember the VVT = EGR. VVT has replaced the EGR valve. That is one of its purposes.
    The VVT works with Combustion Chamber Pressures to control NOX. Mostly the Exhaust cams.
    I think this engine has compression sensing ignition also. I would hope the HPT has added the fields needed to change the target Combustion Chamber Pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyhighperformance View Post
    Our 3.6L is not direct injection.

Here are some results of my first tune on the 2004 CTS 3.6L. I refined the intake and exhaust valve timing tables and the 4 spark timing tables to be essentially the same as an 07 3.6L. I then modified the tables and the WOT A/F. The result is a better idle and MPG so far. According to the instantaneous MPG in the DIC, with the base 07 tune, I was getting 25 MPG on a certain stretch of highway. With the new tune the MPG went up to 27 MPG.

On a certain hill at a slower speed with the 07 tune, my MPG was 18. With the new tune the MPG went up to 21-22. What happened here is that the engine efficiency went up and for the given throttle position the and the transmission was able to stay in an upper gear going up the hill which increased overall efficiency.

WOT performance has improved, but there is more room for improvement. I only had 91 octane in the car, but I am going to tune for 93 octane.

I probably should first tune the cam phasing tables, then adjust, and then spark timing.

My problem is that I'm having trouble envisioning the cam phasing for every operating point. For example, for a given operating point, I couldn't instantly jump in and move the cam phasing table in the correct direction - I would have to experiment some.

For example, at 2000 RPM and 30% load as an inital guess do I add 2 degrees of timing to the intake and leave the exhaust alone, do I subtract 2 degrees of timing from the intake and leave the exhaust alone, etc.

I didn't see any compression controlled spark timing tables. There are a couple stock 3.6L files on the hptuners repository if you want to see for yourself.

I didn't see any compression controlled spark timing tables. There are a couple stock 3.6L files on the hptuners repository if you want to see for yourself.
    great I will pull them.

Take a look at the DTC list and then take a look at the number of parameters that you can change.
    I think HPT is lacking on this VDF.

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    Take a look at the DTC list and then take a look at the number of parameters that you can change.
    I think HPT is lacking on this VDF.
    You're right but I think they are the only game in town. The kicker is that the CTS needed 4 credits ($200 - most expensive vehicle) for one license and doesn't include the tranny.

You're right but I think they are the only game in town. The kicker is that the CTS needed 4 credits ($200 - most expensive vehicle) for one license and doesn't include the tranny.
    EFIlive?
    Wester's? Lyndon won't sell you the ability to tune your car anymore, but he will sell you a tune and a PCM.
    Maybe I shouldn't have said it like that. If you want to spend $3k to $15k he will sell you the software.

Talk to Jesse at wait4meperformance.com

EFI is out. It looks like they have similar vehicles though. They expressed concern with bosch ecm.

Jesse posted some good stuff with the CTS-V. I haven't contacted him yet.

Wester's didn't list the 3.6L CTS, but I should contact them separately.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.