97 Caddy STS 4.6 Tuning
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Tuning Discussion, 97 Caddy STS 4.6 Tuning in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi I am a long time GM Fuel Injection tuner and i have a customer that we have fabbed a ...
    Badassbird is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

97 Caddy STS 4.6 Tuning

Hi I am a long time GM Fuel Injection tuner and i have a customer that we have fabbed a turbo kit for it. I need to know if anyone knows of any software out there to tune and edit the factory PCM and if not does this have a MAF sensor? We havnt seen the car yet. We created most of the Turbo kit based CGI models. I appreciate any info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 97 Caddy STS 4.6 Tuning

Go up to Northstar Performance and do a lot of searching. There are no commercial programs or chips for the FWD Northstar PCM, and no one has successfully modified one to produce significant, repeatable power gains.

There is one turbo setup for a FWD Northstar that I know of, and it was a one-off intense labor, expensive ($12,500++) proposition. NOT a daily driver. The entire exhaust system had to be redesigned and hand built. There just is no room to work.

Yes, the car has a MAF sensor, attached to the throttlebody. There are (have been) no meaningful mods published to that, either. The later models ('00+) have the MAF inline next to the filter box.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Shoot AJxtcman on here a PM about it, see what he has. He just got back from the track running a tuned NorthStar. N* tuning is in its infancy right now, so no all out solutions just yet. But AJ has some tools the average Joe doesn't have. We hope to be working on a real time PCM soon here too. LOTS of work in process....and tons more to be done.... Don't you love breaking ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Badassbird View Post
    Hi I am a long time GM Fuel Injection tuner and i have a customer that we have fabbed a turbo kit for it. I need to know if anyone knows of any software out there to tune and edit the factory PCM and if not does this have a MAF sensor? We havnt seen the car yet. We created most of the Turbo kit based CGI models. I appreciate any info.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Badassbird View Post
    I have a setup that is proven to work.

I have not run it on 2 bar, but I know someone that has.
    Adding the 2 Bar should be no problem for you.

lotech22 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): '99 DeVille, K&N intake, MSD ign w/8.5mm wires, custom exhst

What does, "2 bar" mean? Are you refering to barametric as in manifold preasure? Please; learn me sumthin'.

Yup. 2 bar, aka, 14.7 psi x 2, or roughly 30 psi over a pure vacuum (0 kPA), but being atmopheric pressure is roughly 14.7 psi, aka, 1 bar, so a 1 bar MAP reads up to 0 (100 kPA) or outside pressure, and 2 bar measures up to 14.7 psi over atmospheric pressure....

So if my SC Buick runs 170 KPA, that is 14.7 - (1.7 x 14.7) = boost in PSI, or around 10.3 psi. Not bad for stock pulley!

OK, I have a question I NEED to ask. What more can one do to these cars beside what I've already done (profile & photos). I know threre's more out there, I've even grown desperate enough to even consider one those "electric superchargers". But even there, as stated above; one would encounter problems, (hence the MAF thing). Will a super or tubo even work without incident? I'm pretty much relying GO FAST stickers, YEA! The stickers'll make it go fast. ARG!! AJ!? ANYBODY! HELP!

You mean you wanna do this?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cii7InaulI"]YouTube - 2003 DHS Tire spin[/ame]

Talk to AJ....

Those "electric" superchargers are simply a joke, they can't even think about doing anything. They might work on a lawnmower.... But they are NOT positive displacement pumps. They are just fans.

AJ, we need to get together and see if we can get a blower on Berts car....Dang if I didn't sell that one I had.

YEA! It's ironic, I had just seen that on You-Tube 5min before I checked back on this thread. & Yes, I know all about that gimmic. Also, is there a way to adjust timing or a cam set (maybe from an LS1 or somthing).

Nothing really cam wise, you can toss on the 300 hp cams on a 275 hp. Or mix and match (might be interesting), talk to AJ, he would know what is inside, I don't have one, worked on one, but I only got as far as intake off.... As for timing, nope, PCM is what you have to mess with. We have long way to go, but gaining ground....

Ok, AJ; what's a person gotta' do ta' get you to chime in here? Say your name three times? And how the hell did you make your Caddy so damn fasty? What can I for my deville? Or, how much for you to tweak an ECU?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

That Cadillac is no faster than yours by any appreciable amount. That video is the result of some work on traction and torque control, tires and pressures, not engine horsepower. Neither AJ nor anyone else has hit the magic fuel/timing/torque numbers to guarantee consistent power gains. I can do exactly the same thing in my STS and I don't get to that 5th power pole any faster than any other daily driver STS in here.

We're all waiting. Get in line. Accept the fact that there is not anything currently on the table or drawing board that is going to make you a drag star. Read, heed advice, experiment.

AJ is currently in the process of a cross-country relocation, so he hops in and out as time permits. Even he will admit he doesn't have the magic key yet. Hang in there.

Yup, mph numbers tell the story of hp. ET tells the story of hookup/launch. So being ABLE to launch roasting the tires is a plus as when you put on slicks you have the possibility to put more power to the ground not sucking it up in TC/TM.

Like I said this is in its infancy.

Alright, just so I'm straight on this & to confirm; THAT mod is the front speed sensors in parallel w/the rear speed sensors (& an on-off switch in there to engage) trick, right?

Oh, and NOW I'm at least considering taking the cams out of a same year Concourse (300hp) & toss 'em into my base model (275hp) I think it's a base or a D'elligence. I mean, it can't ALLL just be pcm tweaking; can it. or are those cams the EXACT same specs. Where does the differance lie?

No, it isn't bypassing the sensors, and don't try, it just activates other things to slow you down.

Talk to AJ before you go swapping cams. (PM him) he has a good idea what works and doesn't, he has done a lot of study on it.

Quote Originally Posted by lotech22 View Post
    Alright, just so I'm straight on this & to confirm; THAT mod is the front speed sensors in parallel w/the rear speed sensors (& an on-off switch in there to engage) trick, right?

Oh, and NOW I'm at least considering taking the cams out of a same year Concourse (300hp) & toss 'em into my base model (275hp) I think it's a base or a D'elligence. I mean, it can't ALLL just be pcm tweaking; can it. or are those cams the EXACT same specs. Where does the differance lie?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.