What is an Aj tune? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Tuning Discussion, What is an Aj tune? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i have met AJ in person and know that he knows his shit..100% confident in his tuning ability... AJ i ...
    kevinscaddy01STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS4, 2001 STS, 97 STS, 92 SLS 4.9L

Re: What is an Aj tune?

i have met AJ in person and know that he knows his shit..100% confident in his tuning ability...

AJ i shot u a PM hopefully we can meet up soon..

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

are you still looking for the N2O tune?

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

The results were interesting!

How does my little V6 with a ton of junk in the trunk do? Fair for a V6?

I have to admit, I loved how Highlines car runs and drives. I would LOVE to duplicate that combo. I haven't driven too may N*'s, but that one for sure is a far cry above the ones I have driven.

Kudos to AJ for a very refined and very quick combo!

Highline, NOW to look for a M112 for it....

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    Everyone
    I see a throw down in N0DIH's work parking lot after work on Friday.

Ur7x is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 STS

You are toooooooooo Funny

We have done that, but you didn't like that because the car had all the mods done to it. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WTF?
    You guys NEVER did that.. You started with a stock car... made a base line run... made dozens of changes, ran that and then said the tune made it faster... We don't know if the tune made it faster, or if it was the torque converter, the missing headlight, the LSD, etc etc etc...

The ONLY person who made ONE change per PASS was Codewise...

And since then no-one is laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ur7x View Post
    You guys NEVER did that.. You started with a stock car... made a base line run... made dozens of changes, ran that and then said the tune made it faster... We don't know if the tune made it faster, or if it was the torque converter, the missing headlight, the LSD, etc etc etc...

The ONLY person who made ONE change per PASS was Codewise...

And since then no-one is laughing.
    I am sorry I will restate the facts.
    The first time I performed any mods to the car other than the tune was 12-07.
    I installed a higher stall converter.
    The stall = 2600 on the freeway under a hard load. I think the max stall is rated at 3200 to 3500. I have never seen this. I even called the manufacturer to have this explained to me. N0DIH even stated the converter felt just loose, but not 3500 loose.

All the testing before 12-07 is invalid because why?

I am sorry I will restate the facts.
    The first time I performed any mods to the car other than the tune was 12-07.
    I installed a higher stall converter.

All the testing before 12-07 is invalid because why?
    Because it doesn't exist...
    wasn't done at a dyno/track...
    Shows stock like times..

Take your pick.

Why is it so hard for you'all to admit that PROPER testing has not been done.

We have gone over this over and over... Proper testing has never been done..
    THE FIRST person to do a PROPER test was Codewise... All we had before that were "aborted" dyno runs and data loggers that made no sense. (and look stock)

I suspect he did the test mostly to get me to STFU...but all his PROPER TEST did was show that THE tune produces STOCK LIKE results and STOCK LIKE times (and even that's been a little generous)

What does Codewise say now?
    "I'm faster with the Stock PCM" and
    "There are no quick fixes with this car"

It was on the street. The same starting spot and the same day.
    Several time we data-logger one tune after another.

We had one Stock Tune that consistently ran .8 sec slower than another vin (9) stock tune from the same year car with the same engine and trans combo from 0 to 90. I guess you car doesn't have that one.

I would say we have well over 100 Data-logs with the Tech II stored, another 25 or so with the Wide-Band Data-Logger, another 25 or so with PCMScan (linked) and another 10 stored with the VDR, but we can watch live data and not record it with the VDR. You can't do both with the VDR. The VDR is by far the best Data-logger I have used. I just pulled up one week. Just from Monday June 30th to Friday July 4th of 2008 we had 10 Data-Logs on the VDR that I stored. We would have been Data-logging the Wide-band at the same time to verify that the PCM was reading correctly. I can only guess we had to toss a few recordings for some human error. Like not hitting the button at the right time.

I dialed the AFR in for the BIG shot of Nitrous back at the end of June.

I would have to guess that I have dumped over 100 more of the Tech II data-logs off my PC. Why have duplicate runs? I would make a change and then rune the car several times to verify the results. If they all come up the same I would just keep one or if we had traction issue I would dump that one.

Just say a guy with a 2003 STS asks me for a STOCK hot tune. He has the .8 sec slower 0-90 stock tune and I give him what he asks for and the car is faster. What is the issue with that? Most people asked me not to go over stock.

Now as far as Codewise goes he did some testing for me on some segment swapped tunes. He DID NOT like the 2002 & 2003 OSID Cal's. Not sure why. Cams? I spent all my time on a 2003 OSID cal. That is what I sent him. I can't see what the issue is with his car because he NEVER Data-logged it. Maybe he has some type of engine noise that the knock sensor picks up. Maybe the 2002 isn't as sensitive to KR?
    We just don't know and he hasn't helped.
    We don't even know why he had a lean code with his PCM yet.

If I had the answers I could adjust for them.

All I know is I spent a ton of time on a 2003 tune and it works.

Ask N0DIH

And as AJ and others have posted the NorthStar PCM is a freaking Monster with dozens and dozens of tables that it uses to add, subtract, truncate, maximize and minimize the timing...
    The Northstar is NO different from an LS! for tables. Just think of a Vette or even a Z06 vs a base Deville. Hmmmmm the Z06 has more controllers and it uses ClassII just like the Northstar's. As a matter of fact you have to isolate a controller to program it on a Vette. On a 2003 Deville you only need to isolate the PCM. Wat too much data on the Vette to even program the radio

There is a reason that on all of the turbo and S/C work AJ has abandoned the NorthStar PCM and is focused his effort on the LS1 and aftermarket LS1 PCMs...

My main focus has been that 2003 DHS. The LS1 setup is 100% GM factory Nothing aftermarket at all.

It was on the street. The same starting spot and the same day.
    Several time we data-logger one tune after another.

We had one Stock Tune that consistently ran .8 sec slower than another vin (9) stock tune from the same year car with the same engine and trans combo from 0 to 90. I guess you car doesn't have that one.
    Lets review

"on the street" with a stop watch or datalogger is NOT accurate enough. You and I both know that alone will and 0.5-1.5 seconds of error to your test. Almost exactly your reported gains...

"data logger" on the street also is meaningless since you are relying on the very systems that you are monkeying with to tell you what is going on. Of course it will show changes...

When you can buy a Terabyte hard drive for less than $200 now there is NO reason for data to be dumped... lost... no longer available...

Scientific, provable tests are NOT hard to do... Codewise showed that.
    You just need to ACTAULLY do them...
    and untill they are done we all sit around scratching..

Highline knows what to do, and I think he agreed to test your tune at the next Caddy meet.

Proof is only months away. (but then again.. it alway is, isn't it )

You know there is another way... a way that CAN be done on the street (sort-of anyway)... Top speed runs... TOP speed is a direct measurement of max power. Show that your car picks up 5 MPH on a top speed run and YOU KNOW that you are making more horses... (notice that Tim Allen "pulled" the testing of his car BEFORE the top speed run was done.. after it did stock 0-60 and stock 1/4 mile runs )

We have a nice data base from Car and Driver and others that has the top speed of most cars for most years (stock)

Of course as always... A Top Speed run on a significantly Modified car (like Highlines) needs a "one change" run before and after.

I have said over and over... Produce a scientific "proof" test and I will be telling all that you have achieved the imposible and that your tune is for REAL... The only test we have is Code's car and your tune made it slower in to 60' slower the 1/8th and slower in the quarter. Turns out his car was broken... But it also turns out that he runs the STOCK PCM now.

Thats a FACT.

It seems that you would rather argue then actually document your work.

Lets review

"on the street" with a stop watch or data-logger is NOT accurate enough. You and I both know that alone will and 0.5-1.5 seconds of error to your test. Almost exactly your reported gains...

"data logger" on the street also is meaningless since you are relying on the very systems that you are monkeying with to tell you what is going on. Of course it will show changes...
    The Data-Logger won't display a change in Spark or Fuel why? If I back that up with a secondary data-logger it is no good why?

Lets get this correct. I use a GM Data-Logger that states I have 12.6 to 1 AFR and a secondary Wide-band not hooked to the PCM Data-Logging the same and they are both wrong. You also would have to rule out a Data-Log for just the time it takes to run through 2nd gear with that statement. Let me understand this better. Hmmmmmm
    The VDR or Tech II records the RPM drops from 6886 to 4550 as it shifts into 2nd and from 6400 to 4776 in say .0412 second on BOTH the VDR and the Wide-Band Data-Logger because I changed the target AFR

I understand YOU are Limited

When you can buy a Terabyte hard drive for less than $200 now there is NO reason for data to be dumped... lost... no longer available...
    I don't need 500 data-logs from 1 car. I have atleast 150 now on my PC I woulod guess that the laptop has a lot more

Scientific, provable tests are NOT hard to do... Codewise showed that.
    You can't use a car with know issues as a test car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Datalogger runs are the most accurate. The datalogger counts the speed sensor output, which has a large amount of accuracy. So as long as no wheelspin launch, 100% accurate for speed and time. Wheelspin launch will throw in a lot of error for the speeds, but the speed and time will still be accurate, but the distance/times like 60 foot etc will be off.

This is my LT1 with 250K miles on it..... Flat ground zero wheelspin (hence the slow 60 foot time).

Yes, there are environmental conditions that exist. But their influence on the 60 mph and lower speeds is pretty small. So you can with high confidence show differences in acceleration. All you need is a datalogger and work with some acceleration ranges, say 20-60 that you have 0 wheelspin, same gear. This will show a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    The datalogger counts the speed sensor output, which has a large amount of accuracy. So as long as no wheelspin launch, 100% accurate for speed and time. Wheelspin launch will throw in a lot of error for the speeds, but the speed and time will still be accurate, but the distance/times like 60 foot etc will be off.
    Your post nicely documents the problem... Your run needs to be PERFECT with no wheel slippage. As we all know the GM system is DESIGNED to let the wheels slip a little before the TC system kicks in... If the speed variable is in error and the distance variable is in error, you are now measuring ERRORS... not REALITY. As long as the wheel is slipping the vehicle speed IS NOT ACCURATE... they are not even CLOSE. This is exactly the time when maximum acceleration occurs... EXACTLY what we are trying to measure.

Another problem on the "street" The "street" isn't flat.. more error...
    Lets be VERY CLEAR...

TESTING needs to be done on the DYNO or at the TRACK. PERIOD.

Using tools like this generates all kinds of goofy excuses... Remember the responses we got when it was proven that Codewise ran slower on the Tune...

"You can't drive the car like that"
    "You have to just stomp on it"
    "You can't reload the torque converter"
    "It will produce better times if you you don't launch on the brake, just press the gas"
    "The tune is designed to make the cars fun... not more power"
    "Codes tune was not the latest tune"

Hmm... All of those comments say the same thing..
    "I get the best data logs when there is no slippage"... As my wife says "Well Duh!"

If you are relying on a zero slippage run to get your data you are now putting the driver right in the middle of this... You want to take the driver out of the equation... Drive the car "SLOW" with "ZERO" slippage and the logger will look completely different then one with lots of slip...

That's why the dyno is best... and a 1/4 mile run in an automatic where you load the Torque converter to 2000 and then peg the throttle at the green light also takes the driver out it...

Worse then that you tend to build a tune that REDUCES power until there is zero slippage... 'cause that gets you the best number...

I don't know of a single vendor or recognized media outlet that uses a data logging as a tool to verify a cars performance...

The Data-Logger won't display a change in Spark or Fuel why? If I back that up with a secondary data-logger it is no good why?

Lets get this correct. I use a GM Data-Logger that states I have 12.6 to 1 AFR and a secondary Wide-band not hooked to the PCM Data-Logging the same and they are both wrong. You also would have to rule out a Data-Log for just the time it takes to run through 2nd gear with that statement. Let me understand this better. Hmmmmmm
    The VDR or Tech II records the RPM drops from 6886 to 4550 as it shifts into 2nd and from 6400 to 4776 in say .0412 second on BOTH the VDR and the Wide-Band Data-Logger because I changed the target AFR

I understand YOU are Limited
    Understand that we don't give a rat a$$ what the car is doing with the AFR, wide band, narrow band, what gear we are in etc etc etc... Post like the above a just designed to avoid the obvious and confuse everyone...

Again lets BE VERY CLEAR...

We want to KNOW IF THE CAR IS FASTER ON THE TUNE... THAT'S ALL...
    Simple Eh?

Do a run on the stock tune, swap in the AJ tune and do a back to back run... on the dyno or at the track... Simple.

Why is that so hard to do?

I might be limited... But my car isn't... its a "Z/W" car...

That's why the dyno is best... and a 1/4 mile run in an automatic where you load the Torque converter to 2000 and then peg the throttle at the green light also takes the driver out it......
    I wish that Codewize would have you the Data-Logger to show you that the STOCK cal kills 4 cylinders off at 1600 rpm's when loading the converter, but no he didn't do that.

I don't know of a single vendor or recognized media outlet that uses a data logging as a tool to verify a cars performance...
    You need to check again Most of the time I don't know why you type. The stuff that flows from you is garbage. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, How much HP did Code's car put down on the dyno??????????????

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.