Experience with replacement performance chips
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Tuning Discussion, Experience with replacement performance chips in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Does anyone have any experience with the various performance replacement ROMS available, SLR morotsports is one I have been considering. ...
    bmechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Experience with replacement performance chips

Does anyone have any experience with the various performance replacement ROMS available, SLR morotsports is one I have been considering. I have a 1998 Deville, with 90,000 miles on the Northstar engine. Is this a good idea, can it really be done by a non-professional, are there any long term negative consequences? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Barry

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Re: Experience with replacement performance chips

Barry I am not familiar with SLR morotsports, so they can't do it. They would have needed to get some information from myself or Wester's.
    Beware of NON A.J. tunes
    Hey that is not a ROM module

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

The chips I have seen in the aftermarket (like SLP) have very little changes to them, often only a degree or 2 more timing at WOT and that is it. Find a real tuner, local preffered or one that will work with you on your tune and go from there. a "real" tune, expect in the $175-$300 range for a real tuned chip.

People I know who do real tunes:
    Myself (of course!) (I have to see if I can do the 307, I haven't done one yet, but will dig up on them)
    Westers Garage
    Ed Wright of FastChips

I need the broadcast code on the chip to know what can be done with it, so if you call pull the ECM and look at it, read me the numbers that would be a big help, everyone is going to need that no matter what.

smartpowered is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hello the best is trust professional tuner let nobody "play" with your engine
    and hope you found one ...

i have a project to run E85 ( Bioethanol) on my cadillac
    i programmed several smart cars to support it
    i also work on a mitsubishi colt turbo base ( smart forfour is a colt engine tuned from 150 - 177 hp by Brabus and that is one of my cars for daily use actually a tuned it to 210 hp 0-60 6.4 seconds but i want also convert to e85the cadillac' here in the familly

What Cadillac you wanting to run on E85? I have "converted" if you will and run over 30K miles on my LT1 with E85 keeping within 4 mpg of gasoline.

Mrjb9475 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

question who are you? what are your credentials? can you program a 2001 deville? i looked at the fastchips website and they had nothing for northstar listed any help will appreciated thank you MrJB!

Honestly if you want to just run E85, fast easy, drop in 1.5x larger injectors and go with it. BUT you are "stuck" with E85, and won't be able to go back to gas (too rich).

Ed @ Fastchips I don't think is into the N* yet. Talk to AJ, he is. He has a darn nice running DHS for another forum member here. It is new territory, not a whole lot on them yet. But tis coming... Talk to AJ about what he can do. Credentials? Read all my posts...

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Mrjb9475, Go through the Northstar Performance, Seville, and Deville threads concerning PCM's and tuning. There are no chips, PCM's, aftermarket programmers, nothing for the 2001 Deville. Not for my 2002, either. One person, AJxtcman, is working on PCM programming along with a couple of other members as test mules, but nothing is perfected yet. We all just have to wait.

Your best bet for a while would be to go to a CORSA cat-back exhaust system. Otherwise, aftermarket MAF's, air filters, and other bolt-ons do essentially nothing for performance; actually they lower gas mileage and tend to insert a flat spot in the midrange throttle response.

Look at the tire sticker on your driver's door: that will temm you where the speed limiter is set for your car. S = 112 mph. H = 130, and Z is (for a DTS) as fast as it will go, somewhere around 135-145, depending on drag and overall engine condition. I'm not sure there is even such a thing as a Z DTS. If you have a base Deville, you're computer-limited to 112, period. Look at the sticker under the spare tire cover and write down all the 3-character codes and enter them (pay attention to 1's and I's) into www.cadillacfaq.com/rpo/index.php. That will give you all the RPO's (Regular Production Option) built into your car.

Mrjb9475 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

thanks for the info i love my deville and as personal experience my fuel shut of is at 111mph not that i drive that fast all the time however i whould like to pull away from the Competition my 94 eldo had the z-rated option and just kept going

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.