98 Eldo pcm into a 97 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Tuning Discussion, 98 Eldo pcm into a 97 STS in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 97 STS that is failing emissions due to a not ready response. I ran the car for ...
    JoeMack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Question 98 Eldo pcm into a 97 STS

I have a 97 STS that is failing emissions due to a not ready response. I ran the car for almost 60 days with many cycles and conditions and can't get the computer into a ready state. Mass won't inspect with a tail pipe test on any OBD II car and I can no longer drive the car on the road. Even if I have the computer looked at by a authorized inspection repair center I will no longer be able to drive it to attempt another reset.

My 98 Eldo blew a HG at 160,000 and I kept the pcm, many sensors and the resistor that I had spliced into the wires that check the key chip resistance. Does anyone know if I can put this pcm into the 97 STS? I do realize that this would most likely cause the radio to lock-out. Honestly, I just want to get this thing a sticker for another year. In order to reset the pcm to ready, assuming this will work, I will have to have my wife sell me the car, this will allow me to legally drive it on the road for 7 days before I will need to inspect it again.

-Thx

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Re: 98 Eldo pcm into a 97 STS

no
    the PCM must be calibrated for your car

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMack View Post
    I have a 97 STS that is failing emissions due to a not ready response. I ran the car for almost 60 days with many cycles and conditions and can't get the computer into a ready state. Mass won't inspect with a tail pipe test on any OBD II car and I can no longer drive the car on the road. Even if I have the computer looked at by a authorized inspection repair center I will no longer be able to drive it to attempt another reset.

My 98 Eldo blew a HG at 160,000 and I kept the pcm, many sensors and the resistor that I had spliced into the wires that check the key chip resistance. Does anyone know if I can put this pcm into the 97 STS? I do realize that this would most likely cause the radio to lock-out. Honestly, I just want to get this thing a sticker for another year. In order to reset the pcm to ready, assuming this will work, I will have to have my wife sell me the car, this will allow me to legally drive it on the road for 7 days before I will need to inspect it again.

-Thx
    I need your VIN

JoeMack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Guys thanks for the replies. AJxtcman I enjoyed reading your thread on the root cause of head gasket leaks. It appears for a few years that Cadillac had a metallurgy problem as well as load fatigue from a lack of thread engagement. I'm not sure which condition I had in my Eldo, the car ran and looked impeccable but had too many miles on it to warrant a tear down. I do know that the leak was only into the #1 cylinder.

I have since read a response you gave someone else about the Y and 9 engines. I realize there may be too may differences in the PCM. If so can the PCM be reprogrammed by Caddy?

I was wondering if the PCM is never ready due to a poor or broken contact in the wiring harness.

Here are the VIN's.

98 Eldo. ETC: 1G6EL12Y1WU61XXXX

97 STS: 1G6KY5296VU82XXXX

-thx

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMack View Post
    Guys thanks for the replies. AJxtcman I enjoyed reading your thread on the root cause of head gasket leaks. It appears for a few years that Cadillac had a metallurgy problem as well as load fatigue from a lack of thread engagement. I'm not sure which condition I had in my Eldo, the car ran and looked impeccable but had too many miles on it to warrant a tear down. I do know that the leak was only into the #1 cylinder.

I have since read a response you gave someone else about the Y and 9 engines. I realize there may be too may differences in the PCM. If so can the PCM be reprogrammed by Caddy?

I was wondering if the PCM is never ready due to a poor or broken contact in the wiring harness.

Here are the VIN's.

98 Eldo. ETC: 1G6EL12Y1WU61XXXX

97 STS: 1G6KY5296VU82XXXX

-thx
    I need the last 8 of the 97.
    I will run a GM VIS and look at the emmision options.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.