Limitter adjustment/removal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Tuning Discussion, Limitter adjustment/removal in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a beautiful 92 sedan de ville with only 44k miles. Runs great and gets up to 100mph without ...
    plymouthman02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Limitter adjustment/removal

I have a beautiful 92 sedan de ville with only 44k miles. Runs great and gets up to 100mph without even knowing it. The only problem is that it tries to cut off at about 100mph and won't go any further. It's really frustrating especially since the car can handle much more. Does anyone know where to get a chip to raise or remove the limitter? I'd really love to get one so the old beat up chevy trucks stop passing me on the highway.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Limitter adjustment/removal

Wester's and FastChips both can do the 90-95 4.9L. If you contact Wester's let them know I sent you (hope it helps some!)

Just make sure the tires have a good speed rating so you can safely drive at those speeds. Those Cadillac's are often soft sprung and not super stable at high speeds.

My wife got my 91 up to 105 and then slowed down over semi's trying to box her in on the highway.

The 91 FSM says that the speed limiter is 127-128. But I am wondering if that is a Touring Sedan speed limiter.

mackpappy1972 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 01 DTS,02 Deville,94 Concours,50 Sedan,03 S55,03 Excursion

Angry Re: Limitter adjustment/removal

Well I see that I am not the only one asking about that issue as well. I see the 90-95 Caddy's have a savior but what about the OBD2's? I have called Hypertech, ADS, Superchips, Boss Performance etc......they all have said the same thing. There is no market for Flashing a northstar PCM to few requests. So they won't entertain it. Can anyone help me with the second gen N*? I have done everything else. Volante intake, high flow catback converter and exhaust. The PCM is the weak link here. Walks right up to 115mph with no hesitation then shuts the fuel off. Is there an guru in the house?

Mackpappy

What year car are you looking to tune?

Some capabilties are there now, but not in a released tuner package yet.

Yes, the market is small. Compare it.

Less than 1% of ALL Northstar owners WANT to tune. Less than 10% of them are willing to pay much at all for it. Where as the LS1/LS2 guys, there are millions of people with the Gen 3/4 V8's, around a 30-50:1 Gen 3/4 V8 to 1 NorthStar V8 ratio. And many of them are willing to pay for it, as they are performance cars/trucks to start with.

It takes hundreds of hours to break the code in these PCM's. The Northstar is the hardest of the bunch. Sorry, cold hard numbers. These guys like HPTuners, Tunercat, Carputing, SCAdvantage, EFILive and the host of handheld tuners like Diablo, Hypertech, Superchips, etc would never even recoup the development costs of doing it. So why bother?

If there was a solid business model to get say 2000 people to pay $500 for a tuner package, and be willing to wait a year or 2 for it, then maybe something will happen, but honestly, it isn't easy else it would be done for sure. Just think of the staff you would need to reverse engineer the hardware and software and build an interface for it.

It is being looked at, rest assured, but not a trivial task.

IIRC, speed limiter on a Northstar has already been done and not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mackpappy1972 View Post
    Well I see that I am not the only one asking about that issue as well. I see the 90-95 Caddy's have a savior but what about the OBD2's? I have called Hypertech, ADS, Superchips, Boss Performance etc......they all have said the same thing. There is no market for Flashing a northstar PCM to few requests. So they won't entertain it. Can anyone help me with the second gen N*? I have done everything else. Volante intake, high flow catback converter and exhaust. The PCM is the weak link here. Walks right up to 115mph with no hesitation then shuts the fuel off. Is there an guru in the house?

Mackpappy

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Mack, as NODIH says, tunes for the Northstar '99 -' 03 are few and far between. AJxtcman has done some, but so far there's nothing on the street that gives any measurable improvement.

To remove the speed limiter find Wester's Garage. You send them your PCM and $300, it comes back in a week, no speed limiter.

Many, many threads over the years in here and Deville concerning so-called "cold air intakes" and some clever DIY workarounds. Compare a WIX air filter against a Fram or AC for media size and square inch area..........forget K&N.

+1 on Wix, a very high quality filter. I use AC, but might look at a Wix next time around. But the quality on the Wix has always been great. Fram, junk. Walmart has them in stock for a reason.....

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    +1 on Wix, a very high quality filter. I use AC, but might look at a Wix next time around. But the quality on the Wix has always been great. Fram, junk. Walmart has them in stock for a reason.....
    N0DIH you have driven the "Test Mule" what did you think of the tune?

You mean the one that bested my tuned 3800 supercharged Park Ave Ultra? And the Deville with 2 people in it and mine a lighter car with only one person in it? I would have to put it at a very conservative 0.5 to 0.75 seconds faster down the quarter, and an easy 5-10 mph faster. It for sure had a fair amount more power. And mine is no slouch.

Never heard of it....

The Northstar drove very well, awesome manners, power was sweet everywhere in the powerband, it really makes me wish I held out and didn't get the Buick and get a Northstar Cadillac instead.

Can you work me up a trade on a 2000-2003 Deville up there?

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Mack, as NODIH says, tunes for the Northstar '99 -' 03 are few and far between. AJxtcman has done some, but so far there's nothing on the street that gives any measurable improvement.

To remove the speed limiter find Wester's Garage. You send them your PCM and $300, it comes back in a week, no speed limiter.

Many, many threads over the years in here and Deville concerning so-called "cold air intakes" and some clever DIY workarounds. Compare a WIX air filter against a Fram or AC for media size and square inch area..........forget K&N.
    I will do one today for $350 and you get another PCM. You won't have to pay to get it over the boarder or have it held up at the boarder either with me or N0DIH. Oh yeah I am pretty sure N0DIH could knock one out also.

Hogg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 1998 STS

Westers does have distributers in the US. If you follow Westers shipping instructions you'll be fine.

peace
    Hog

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    You mean the one that bested my tuned 3800 supercharged Park Ave Ultra? And the Deville with 2 people in it and mine a lighter car with only one person in it? I would have to put it at a very conservative 0.5 to 0.75 seconds faster down the quarter, and an easy 5-10 mph faster. It for sure had a fair amount more power. And mine is no slouch.

Never heard of it....

The Northstar drove very well, awesome manners, power was sweet everywhere in the powerband, it really makes me wish I held out and didn't get the Buick and get a Northstar Cadillac instead.

Can you work me up a trade on a 2000-2003 Deville up there?
    I assume your 1/2 to 3/4 second comments are comparing your car to AJ's and NOT AJ's car before and after a tune?

If you wanted the Northstar in a non-Cadillac, there is always the Pontiac Bonneville GXP. 275hp and the better 3.71:1(STS) gearing.

peace
    Hog

His and mine both after a tune....He most definately was heavier and had a significant power edge. I would guess a 1/2 to full car length at the end of a quarter mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    I assume your 1/2 to 3/4 second comments are comparing your car to AJ's and NOT AJ's car before and after a tune?

If you wanted the Northstar in a non-Cadillac, there is always the Pontiac Bonneville GXP. 275hp and the better 3.71:1(STS) gearing.

peace
    Hog

What ever tuning I can do N0DIH can do. He has the same software as I have minus 1 program.

It is all about the read and write program, not the VDF, not the bin. If you don't have a boot-loader you don't have the mode of transportation and you can't beam me up Scotty.

We have even played around with bins for my Cutlass and his Park Ave using this mode of transporting the bins into the PCM.

That is what I was stating way back 2 years ago.

Do up a 3800 tune for me and save it as a bin. I will show you that I can load it with a Tech II into a PCM. Then I will read it out with HPT or Wester's cable or even both to show you that it can be done.

BTW 7 zip it first before you email it to me.

better yet do you know some one with TIS and a Tech II? I will show you how to load it.

I think I know someone....

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    What ever tuning I can do N0DIH can do. He has the same software as I have minus 1 program.

It is all about the read and write program, not the VDF, not the bin. If you don't have a boot-loader you don't have the mode of transportation and you can't beam me up Scotty.

We have even played around with bins for my Cutlass and his Park Ave using this mode of transporting the bins into the PCM.

That is what I was stating way back 2 years ago.

Do up a 3800 tune for me and save it as a bin. I will show you that I can load it with a Tech II into a PCM. Then I will read it out with HPT or Wester's cable or even both to show you that it can be done.

BTW 7 zip it first before you email it to me.

better yet do you know some one with TIS and a Tech II? I will show you how to load it.

Guys have been using Tech 2 to load PCM's for years, before the times of TC2(specifically Winflash), EFILive, HPTuners LS1 EDit etc.

A Tech 2 loaded file can 100% be pulled with any tuning suite. I have done so personally.

peace
    Hog

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.