Cadillac Owners Forum banner
87K views 201 replies 35 participants last post by  Byrdman 
#1 ·
It has been done and I have the program.
I need to look at the LS1 program closer and I have contacted a company for some help.
As we all know the 4T80E is a FWD trans and the LS1 is a RWD car. Also I need to look at the way data is transferred between the PCM and the ABS. The other module should be ok, but the PCM ABS has multiple data lines.

#161 ·
It is 1am and I just got back to my house in Milwaukee. I have been down in Rock Hill at my other house for the holidays with Jodie and the Kids.

I will keep you posted.

#163 ·
You have a 96 Y and that is a hard one to get every thing lined back up. I did a couple. #1 had a ABS/TCS message. #2 did not pass emissions. :bonkers:
#2 was a revised version and I had plans to install it in #1's car, but then it wouldn't run the OBD II readiness test that are required to pass emissions.

1996 programs are all by them selves and they take the most time to reassemble.
I think I have got a total request of 4. That is a very small number for such a hard program.

#164 ·
You have a 96 Y and that is a hard one to get every thing lined back up. I did a couple. #1 had a ABS/TCS message. #2 did not pass emissions. :bonkers:
#2 was a revised version and I had plans to install it in #1's car, but then it wouldn't run the OBD II readiness test that are required to pass emissions.

1996 programs are all by them selves and they take the most time to reassemble.
I think I have got a total request of 4. That is a very small number for such a hard program.
Therefore 96s and 97s aren't the same. Does this only apply to the LS1 program?

#167 ·
This is from a LS1 Northstar customer
I had some software issues and couldn't tune his on the spot. I left him with a Manual Trans Fiero Tune that was setup for N/A. I have a new Boost tune all finished up for him and it will be mailed out soon.

AJ, I want you to know that this program that you wrote to my ECM is awesome.
I finally figured out what was wrong. The fuel pressure was dropping to 18 lbs at full throttle. I put another pump on it and wala!!!
This thing is so fast I cant contain myself Im so excited. Its so fast it is really scarry!! You can take of from a dead standstill and it just leaps without spinning untill it reaches 20 or 30mph or so, no bog, lags or delays and then it lights up the tires. Then it takes a hold and pins you back in the seat and never stops pulling. You gotta ride in this thing now!!!!!!!!
It still has a little problem with the idle though. Stephen got the tranny shifting much much better. Hooked the laptop up and adjusted here and there with the tranny program.
Call me some time if you want. Man am I excited!!!!!! I've never rode in anything that fast!!

#168 ·
I ran across some 4L80E stuff in this program. :hmm:
What does that mean? :rolleyes: It means that is has an Input Speed Sensor in the trans. Hmmmm The reason the program won't work on a 4T80E is because it doesn't have the capability to have an ISS. I guess it does. :hmm: more work is Needed, but this is a big step on running a 4T80E on the PCM

#170 ·
No
The 96 to 99 all use the same PCM's
96 uses UART and Class II data. 97 on up just use Class II.

It is all good I just need more time to get my house on the market.

#171 ·
AJ you da man!!!
OK guys Im gonna brag on old AJ here a little bit. If he gets my little mazda truck with the Northstar engine much faster with the turbo tune, Im gonna have to put some slicks on and some wheelie bars. I dont think it will be long until AJ has this LS1 PCM perfected even with the tranmissions controls.
I dont think I've ever saw anyone as dedicated as AJ on a project as he is. I dont think most people realize what an undertaking it is to come up with a program that will run on a Northstar. Without AJ I dont think this LS1 program for the Northstar would have ever even gotten of the ground.
I for one want to personaly thank you AJ for all your efforts so far!!!!!!!
BTW Im the customer AJ is talking about in his post

Thanks
mazda1949

#173 ·
HPTuner has been offering a tuning package for this setup for a while!

The software I own has more parameters.

Oh yeah I have HPTuners also! I know for a fact that Wester's DDT has more parameters.

Just ask the V6 guy's if Wester's/TunerCat has more Parameters than HPTuner's

So it has been a year now since Wester's set me up. I would think within a year HPtuner will have the 96 to 05 Northstar VDF's out.

I won't be able to stop it. :rant2:

#174 ·
I counted around 70 parameters in the V6 in HPT, there are around 300-400 in my tuner package..... Yeah, HPT is a joke in the V6 segment.... They don't care, they don't support much, they have zero plans for updates to make it better, they don't support many PCM's at all, just overall a poor offering...

#175 ·
I talked to Steve yesterday to see if had the PCM with the new tune in the the truck yet. He told me that the tune I left him with runs really good. He was driving drown main street and nailed the gas at 30 mph. The lower control arm ripped off the frame. :helpless: He said it got the truck stopped with out any further damage.

I think he said it was the from bracket on the right side, but this is the bracket I am talking about, just the left rear.

I hope to hear today how the new tune runs. :D

#176 ·
I have that tune file also made for the ls1 computer. A customer hired me to make a file for it back in 2001 i think?? I dont think it was made from gm. It was made somewhere for someone. The ls1 computer is not able to handle Variable cam timing.

In our software, efilive, you can transfer transmission segments from files as long as the operating system matches another you need. So that will not work of putting in a front wheel drive trans as, i dont believe there where any out there running it. The file you have is its own operating system and layout. I dissasembled it and found about 70 tables, as it looks simular to a 1999 ls1 type format, and then stopped. I only added enough to help out a customer that needed to add more fuel because his was running WAYYY lean.

#178 ·
Jesse I am using the Stock GM OSID for this setup and a 01_0X VDF.

Nice to see you over here.
Mick & Ross have emailed and sent messages to me to get a hold of you for some help on the Simtec PCM

#177 ·
#179 ·
simtec sounds kinda fun.. :)

Yeah im just finally getting some free time to start checking out other cool forums. This one is pretty good.

An explination of what i meant by using someones code is, with a hex editor, go to location 6310A in your file. IF you have a RAW bin pulled from the ecm, goto location 7Ed0a.

The gm osid is not a gm id released to i dont think. That is why i never put it in for the efilive guys to use.

#180 ·
Yes I have seen the note

I didn't acquire my cal from a cable like that. I pulled it off the server and stored it in my Spat Command Center! :shhh:

#182 ·
Well I got the riped out spindle arm mount on the frame fixed on my truck and put the new PCM in and it does seem to be a good bit faster. Its sounds a little different and seems to have more torque all through the power range.
I have a 2800 stall converter coming within a week or so. I hope that is going to help me come off the line a little better. Im hoping by the time I come off the line the turbo will be spooled up and I can feather foot it if it wants to spin. Right now it has a hesitation and lag or bog comming from a dead stand still . Its not noticable at all just driving normal. When I try to bring it off the line it bogs pretty bad and then when it gets to about 20 or 30mph the turbo spools up and it starts to spin the tires, even though its spinning its still pulling pretty hard. Sometimes the truck will want to torque off to the left. This thing has an awsome amount of torque with the turbo. Its unbelievable!!!! I cranked the boost up to 9lbs with my new home built boost controler. I wonder how much boost this stock engine will take before I start scattering parts?
I beleive the truck will be in the middle elevens at the drag strip. We marked of a 1/4 mile in front of the shop (1320 ft) and with a stop watch it was well below 12seconds several times. This was with the old PCM so Im sure the one you just wrote will be even faster especially if I can get the lag out.
Lookin good

#183 ·
Hey guys , I got my 2800 stall torque converter today. I'm hoping to get it in the truck sometime by the middle of the week. I would try to do it tomorrow but I've got to go to Atlanta and see my two grandboys this weekend. A couple of weeks ago I had to go to my oldest grandsons daycare to pick him up, this is the 5yr old and he looked up at his teacher and said, Miss Janie this is my Popa and he's got a hotrod truck!!!!!!! I beleive he's gonna be a chip off the old block. He likes Popa's truck!!!!
Guys , for a stock Northstar engine with a turbo I've never set my butt down in anything this fast. Old AJ has got his stuff together on this one. He's been awful nice to work with me on my little project so far. If any of you are thinking of going with the LS1 ECM tune AJ is the man that can get you to laying some rubber down. Their is no comparison to the first tune I had on my LS1 PCM that was done by someone else. AJ's tune is awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I turned 60yrs old last weekend and when I sit down in my little Mazda rear engine pickup I feel like Im in my
20's again. This is the most fun I've had since I used to drive Late model (round D round) dirt cars. I think Im going through my second childhood.
Well boys I gotta go for now . Me or AJ will keep you posted on what happens next.

Steve (aka mazda1949)

#187 ·
Hey recheck that Fuel Pressure.
With the ignition ON, and engine OFF (zero vacuum), system fuel pressure at the pressure test connection should be 333-376 kPa (48-55 psi).

Start the engine. You should have a (3-10 psi) drop

Say your target is 55 psi WOT. Then you want about 50 psi running.

If that doesn't take care of the black smoke and the flutter drop the pressure to 50 psi WOT or 0" vacuum. This may take you down to about 45 psi running. Recheck to see if that gets rid of the flutter/black smoke/lag.

#189 ·
Thanks AJ for embeding that video for me . I've got to figure out how to do that. I must be missing something but I'll figure it out sooner or later.

Old truck sounds pretty good doesn't it? Not only does it sound good it is fast as H#%*$L to.
I'll try the fuel pressure stuff and see if that helps .

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.