Running a Northstar on a LS1 PCM. - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Cadillac Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Tuning Discussion, Running a Northstar on a LS1 PCM. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I guess Baby will have to settle for the ham sandwich... I tried. Originally Posted by AJxtcman You have a ...
    SupRNatural is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Montana Blue Eldorado,1982 Eldorado Biarritz Diesel

Cool Re: Running a Northstar on a LS1 PCM.

I guess Baby will have to settle for the ham sandwich... I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    You have a 96 Y and that is a hard one to get every thing lined back up. I did a couple. #1 had a ABS/TCS message. #2 did not pass emissions.
    #2 was a revised version and I had plans to install it in #1's car, but then it wouldn't run the OBD II readiness test that are required to pass emissions.

1996 programs are all by them selves and they take the most time to reassemble.
    I think I have got a total request of 4. That is a very small number for such a hard program.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Re: Running a Northstar on a LS1 PCM.

This is from a LS1 Northstar customer
    I had some software issues and couldn't tune his on the spot. I left him with a Manual Trans Fiero Tune that was setup for N/A. I have a new Boost tune all finished up for him and it will be mailed out soon.

AJ, I want you to know that this program that you wrote to my ECM is awesome.
    I finally figured out what was wrong. The fuel pressure was dropping to 18 lbs at full throttle. I put another pump on it and wala!!!
    This thing is so fast I cant contain myself Im so excited. Its so fast it is really scarry!! You can take of from a dead standstill and it just leaps without spinning untill it reaches 20 or 30mph or so, no bog, lags or delays and then it lights up the tires. Then it takes a hold and pins you back in the seat and never stops pulling. You gotta ride in this thing now!!!!!!!!
    It still has a little problem with the idle though. Stephen got the tranny shifting much much better. Hooked the laptop up and adjusted here and there with the tranny program.
    Call me some time if you want. Man am I excited!!!!!! I've never rode in anything that fast!!

I ran across some 4L80E stuff in this program.
    What does that mean? It means that is has an Input Speed Sensor in the trans. Hmmmm The reason the program won't work on a 4T80E is because it doesn't have the capability to have an ISS. I guess it does. more work is Needed, but this is a big step on running a 4T80E on the PCM

SupRNatural is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Montana Blue Eldorado,1982 Eldorado Biarritz Diesel

Question Re: Running a Northstar on a LS1 PCM.

AJ will a 97 PCM with LS1 program fit in a 96???

Quote Originally Posted by SupRNatural View Post
    AJ will a 97 PCM with LS1 program fit in a 96???
    No
    The 96 to 99 all use the same PCM's
    96 uses UART and Class II data. 97 on up just use Class II.

It is all good I just need more time to get my house on the market.

mazda1949 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

AJ you da man!!!
    OK guys Im gonna brag on old AJ here a little bit. If he gets my little mazda truck with the Northstar engine much faster with the turbo tune, Im gonna have to put some slicks on and some wheelie bars. I dont think it will be long until AJ has this LS1 PCM perfected even with the tranmissions controls.
    I dont think I've ever saw anyone as dedicated as AJ on a project as he is. I dont think most people realize what an undertaking it is to come up with a program that will run on a Northstar. Without AJ I dont think this LS1 program for the Northstar would have ever even gotten of the ground.
    I for one want to personaly thank you AJ for all your efforts so far!!!!!!!
    BTW Im the customer AJ is talking about in his post

Thanks
    mazda1949

F55 STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Seville STS(for sale) 06 STS-V

Hi
    Will this work in a 03 STS with out setting codes?
    Do you make an adapter harness or something?

Thanks

HPTuner has been offering a tuning package for this setup for a while!

The software I own has more parameters.

Oh yeah I have HPTuners also! I know for a fact that Wester's DDT has more parameters.

Just ask the V6 guy's if Wester's/TunerCat has more Parameters than HPTuner's

So it has been a year now since Wester's set me up. I would think within a year HPtuner will have the 96 to 05 Northstar VDF's out.

I won't be able to stop it.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

I counted around 70 parameters in the V6 in HPT, there are around 300-400 in my tuner package..... Yeah, HPT is a joke in the V6 segment.... They don't care, they don't support much, they have zero plans for updates to make it better, they don't support many PCM's at all, just overall a poor offering...

I talked to Steve yesterday to see if had the PCM with the new tune in the the truck yet. He told me that the tune I left him with runs really good. He was driving drown main street and nailed the gas at 30 mph. The lower control arm ripped off the frame. He said it got the truck stopped with out any further damage.

I think he said it was the from bracket on the right side, but this is the bracket I am talking about, just the left rear.

I hope to hear today how the new tune runs.

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

I have that tune file also made for the ls1 computer. A customer hired me to make a file for it back in 2001 i think?? I dont think it was made from gm. It was made somewhere for someone. The ls1 computer is not able to handle Variable cam timing.

In our software, efilive, you can transfer transmission segments from files as long as the operating system matches another you need. So that will not work of putting in a front wheel drive trans as, i dont believe there where any out there running it. The file you have is its own operating system and layout. I dissasembled it and found about 70 tables, as it looks simular to a 1999 ls1 type format, and then stopped. I only added enough to help out a customer that needed to add more fuel because his was running WAYYY lean.

OHH one more kinda warning, The S h elby people have been sueing the piss out of ANYONE that is using / copying anything they own.. http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206494

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    I have that tune file also made for the ls1 computer. A customer hired me to make a file for it back in 2001 i think?? I dont think it was made from gm. It was made somewhere for someone. The ls1 computer is not able to handle Variable cam timing.

In our software, efilive, you can transfer transmission segments from files as long as the operating system matches another you need. So that will not work of putting in a front wheel drive trans as, i dont believe there where any out there running it. The file you have is its own operating system and layout. I dissasembled it and found about 70 tables, as it looks simular to a 1999 ls1 type format, and then stopped. I only added enough to help out a customer that needed to add more fuel because his was running WAYYY lean.
    Jesse I am using the Stock GM OSID for this setup and a 01_0X VDF.

Nice to see you over here.
    Mick & Ross have emailed and sent messages to me to get a hold of you for some help on the Simtec PCM

simtec sounds kinda fun..

Yeah im just finally getting some free time to start checking out other cool forums. This one is pretty good.

An explination of what i meant by using someones code is, with a hex editor, go to location 6310A in your file. IF you have a RAW bin pulled from the ecm, goto location 7Ed0a.

The gm osid is not a gm id released to i dont think. That is why i never put it in for the efilive guys to use.

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    simtec sounds kinda fun..

Yeah im just finally getting some free time to start checking out other cool forums. This one is pretty good.

An explination of what i meant by using someones code is, with a hex editor, go to location 6310A in your file. IF you have a RAW bin pulled from the ecm, goto location 7Ed0a.

The gm osid is not a gm id released to i dont think. That is why i never put it in for the efilive guys to use.
    Yes I have seen the note

I didn't acquire my cal from a cable like that. I pulled it off the server and stored it in my Spat Command Center!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.