Running a Northstar on a LS1 PCM. - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Cadillac Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Tuning Discussion, Running a Northstar on a LS1 PCM. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey AJ do you have any pics or a website I might go to to see these flanged axles. I ...
    mazda1949 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Running a Northstar on a LS1 PCM.

Hey AJ do you have any pics or a website I might go to to see these flanged axles. I might be able to make some of this stuff myself. I also am a partner in a machine shop but we dont do splines. We have 3 CNC lathes and 2CNC Mills. I can do splines but the way I would have to do it would take forever.
    My buisness is the Garage buisness, I've did that for 40yrs. I furnish the building for the machine shop and dont do a whole lot of work in there.

I would like to talk to you personally but I dont want to do it here in the forums. I dont have enough post to PM you so if you could tell me how we can communicate in private let me know.

Steve

Mazda northstar turbo

Here are some pics of the the turbo if anyone is interested.
    [IMG][/IMG]

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

There is always interest in the future development of the N*.

Highline Cady is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Nitrous03DHS,AJtune,Corsa,Volant,3.71s,Grille,tinted,stall'd

Nice!!!

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

What turbo is that? doesn't look water cooled.

Hey Eldorado, the turbo is a (Super T70/T3 Turbo Charger 4" .70 AR Stage IV 35psi) and I think you mean intercooled in stead of water cooled. You dont have to run an intercooler but Im sure its worth a little more horspower.

Steve

More pics
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]More
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mazda1949 View Post
    Hey Eldorado, the turbo is a (Super T70/T3 Turbo Charger 4" .70 AR Stage IV 35psi) and I think you mean intercooled in stead of water cooled. You dont have to run an intercooler but Im sure its worth a little more horspower.

Steve
    No, I mean the turbo isn't water cooled. You'll have to idle it for 30 seconds before turning the engine off or you'll coke the bearings. Water cooling eliminates that and makes for a better "daily driver".

T70 is a little small but it will give you plenty of midrange torque.

Nice job on the install. Looks very clean. What did you do to the throttle cable to get it to reach?

The throttle cable and the gearshift cables made me put on my thinking cap. I used the throttle cable housing from the mazda on the gas pedal side and the caddy cable housing on the engine side. I used a section of 1/4 inch stainless tubing in between which ran down the frame rail under the truck. The Mazda cable had a nut and stud adjuster that hooked to a bracket on the mazda intake. I welded a short section of 5/16 inch tubing on the front end of the stainless tube so I could slide the mazda cable in for the adjuster. I used that end to take up the slack and have some adjustment. On the other end I simply slid the caddy cable housing inside the 1/4 tube until it butted against the mounting part of the caddy cable housing. I was able to buy the inside stranded cable in one long peice and crimpable ball ends and barrel ends to complete the job. I couldn't find a cable housing long enough so I just made my own. I know this was a long explanation but you asked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha Ha
    I used a console and shifter from a 1999 malibu and believe it or not the cable and housing were just barely long enough and worked perfectly.
    My original plan was to run twin turbo's and I might still do that. I think two of the turbos like I have would be more than enough. You sound like you know quite a bit about turbo's. This is my first. I've got a lot to learn.
    Im an old dirt track round D round boy and never fooled with turbo's until now. A turbo is the cheapest horspower I've ever bought. I couldn't beleive how much more power it gave my northstar with just 6lbs of boost.
    Thanks for asking about my little project. Im real excited about this little ride. Its going to be a sleeper when I get the bed cover on.

Steve

Ive got to take some more pics. I have since installed my wastegate and my oil drain line. They look kinda neat also.

Steve

Pics of wastegate and oil drain back lines.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Remember me in Prayer (PLEASE) !!!!!!!!!

I hope Im not boring you all with all this stuff. Im just kinda proud as I get stuff accomplished. Im 59yrs old and am surprised Im still as ambitious as I am.
    I get my new axles back today I hope. I hope they are stronger than the last ones I had. Maybe the heat treat and harder metal will do the trick this time. I was going to up the boost a little at a time and am sure the axles need to be strong enough for that.
    Also I am going to be installing a blowoff valve (BOV) in the next day or so and I'll show some pics of that to.
    Now to the prayer request. Im sure this forum has beleivers in prayer and its power!!!!!!!!!! I was diagnosed a month ago after a CT scan for a kidney stone which I passed within an hour after I got to the ER to see if I had any more stones before they let me go home. They came back 30 minutes later and told me I didn't have anymore stones but that they saw a mass on my pancreas. I have been in hospital after hospital for the past month trying to figure out if I have cancer or not. For some reason no one has been able to do or get a biopsy because of the location of the mass. The mass is plain to see with CT and MRI scans but is impossible to get to for a biopsy.
    The bottom line is Im going in for surgery to remove the mass on Wednesday. This is a very serious opperation and am hoping that if it is cancer we caught it in time and it hasn't spread anywhere else.
    I wanted to live long enough to see my two little grandboys (3 and 4yrs old ) grow up and to finish my truck.
    Please remember me in your prayers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you
    Steve Sears

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

You have my prayers good Sir and good luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.