93 to 95 Northstar Tuning - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Tuning Discussion, 93 to 95 Northstar Tuning in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by med The yard I go to is between Milwaukee and Chicago. I can PM you the place. ...
    STSforfun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 93 to 95 Northstar Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by med View Post
    The yard I go to is between Milwaukee and Chicago. I can PM you the place. I'm only talking about 96 and earlier Caddies at this place. They're cheap, it's pick your own or have them do it and the 300 to 400 cars are replaced constantly....I have seen many Cadillac Devilles, Concours, and Sevilles come and go through there since summer. I don't think you'd have any trouble finding what you need. Saturdays to 3p. There just aren't many yards open on Sundays - none are that I know of anymore <-- which is hard on weekend warriors. Bottom line: there's tons of good stuff out there for these years at this time. Good luck with your heater box issue - if it's the plastic outer cover you're talking - if it's under the hood on firewall with blower motor then I've never seen one that's not cracked.
    Craig: Do you have an OBD-1 N* also?
    95 STS, Yes under the hood. I'm in AZ If I was closer I would just go and see AJ and see for myself. I assume your doing the dyno run to see what you gain in performance?
    Any way we have a ton Of Cadillac's. Retirement central don't you know! The bad part is they drive them so slow What a waste of a performance ride.

Craig

clarkz71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Mercedes 400E / 1995 Eldorado/ 2006 Yamaha R1 LE

Quote Originally Posted by STSforfun View Post
    Cool,
    I need to make a junk yard run to. A heater box or is it a fan box Mine is falling a part to much heat I guess. Must be a comon problem?

Craig
    Yes, common problem. As med stated you won't find a good used one.
    You can get a new one part # 52491785 at GM parts direct for $75 plus
    shipping. If you go to a local GM dealer it retails for $125.

Here's a link, just click on "add to cart"

GM PART # 52491785
    CATEGORY: All
    PACK QTY: 1
    CORE CHARGE: $0.00
    GM LIST: $125.87
    OUR PRICE: $74.61

DESCRIPTION: BARRIER

med
    med is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 STS "CADDYSNACK"

STSforfun says: "I assume your doing the dyno run to see what you gain in performance?"

I don't know. I wish AJ would chime in on this kind of stuff. I'm not exactly a dyno lover, but I am certainly interested and willing to learn. I thought taking it to the strip was the way to go, but everyone's all about dyno. This thread is cool as it deviates and then gets back on track.
    That info from Clarkz71 was golden concerning the heater box/blower barrier thingie. It seems some underhood rubber and plastic parts have a harder time than others - I think it's caused by underhood heat also and it appears to be independent of climate. I'm sure those parts will be sought after as the years go by. Too bad they haven't been improved upon or some way found to protect them from going bad.
    Anyway, I'm getting off track. Let's get the high drama of PCM tuning back in this thread.....AJ?

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The strip has too many variables... wind, launch, etc. The same car could run a 14.4 and a 15.1 in the same night without changing a thing

med

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado1 View Post
    The strip has too many variables... wind, launch, etc. The same car could run a 14.4 and a 15.1 in the same night without changing a thing
    You're right... I never thought much about the weather as it can change drastically from run to run.

2dedge is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Aj

Shoot me an e-mail at gc2dedge@hotmail.com I have a bunch of questions as to what you can do for me but I do not have pm ability yet.

You're right... I never thought much about the weather as it can change drastically from run to run.
    Hmmm! I don't know!
    I think the performance guy want's number. As he add more and more parts tell he get to the goal HP. The drag guy wants to have better Times as he add's parts or tunes for HP. And the rest just want a better running car, Which if it feels better your good to go! That would fall in to the Road and Track area. Which if you want to get pickie you can do tests for that too.

Just my take on this whole thing.

So from my post's I want number's and a Goal of a Total performance motor.

The rest of you guys will have to decide for your selfs as to what you need.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
    Here's a link, just click on "add to cart"

GM PART # 52491785
    CATEGORY: All
    PACK QTY: 1
    CORE CHARGE: $0.00
    GM LIST: $125.87
    OUR PRICE: $74.61

DESCRIPTION: BARRIER
    Cool thanks,
    I'm not looking forward to changing it.

Craig

Yes, not a fun job.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
    Yes, not a fun job.
    Well when I'm in there I might as well up grade something May be some of them crome Valve cover Or a port and polish job yessss! Maybe if I'm good Santa will get me something nice.

Craig

med

"Well when I'm in there I might as well up grade something "

How about you dress up that barrier to give it that carbon fiber look! You'll be the one and only with that piece on your firewall and you can snub everyone else's cracked version whenever they lift their hood at shows etc. Maybe black chrome or something indestructible like stainless steel (too pricey to tool up for) or gold foil heat shield or custom high temp paint (Imron, etc)! I'm just joking around here, so I hope no harm done - I gotta go back to work.

Seriously though, I hear you about getting things done while you're in there though - I tend to lose a lot of time cleaning things up just because I am into it (i.e., easy to get lost). You could go crazy and polish any aluminum you see till it's a mirror and do some switching from GM satin black to gloss for serious reflection between the back of the motor and firewall.

"Well when I'm in there I might as well up grade something "

How about you dress up that barrier to give it that carbon fiber look! You'll be the one and only with that piece on your firewall and you can snub everyone else's cracked version whenever they lift their hood at shows etc. Maybe black chrome or something indestructible like stainless steel (too pricey to tool up for) or gold foil heat shield or custom high temp paint (Imron, etc)! I'm just joking around here, so I hope no harm done - I gotta go back to work.

Seriously though, I hear you about getting things done while you're in there though - I tend to lose a lot of time cleaning things up just because I am into it (i.e., easy to get lost). You could go crazy and polish any aluminum you see till it's a mirror and do some switching from GM satin black to gloss for serious reflection between the back of the motor and firewall.

Don't get me started on changing stuff to make it easer to get to parts! GM sucks at it.

This is not a total rebuild or I might!HEHEHE! I'm not made of money I got to many fires going allready. In my Garage I have a 89 project truck my son has a 89 project truck Father son thing! and a 23' Ft project boat. All of which where beater. So I got them all cheap.
    My STS is red was super clean All the options sun roof black leather seats
    Just needed the tran's to be done. In fact its still in the shop trying to fix the shifter problem.
    Anyone know where I can get a new one?

Craig

med

"Anyone know where I can get a new one?"

New what? Trans? Brand spanking new? or used? Price quoted this weekend at a yard for $350/used transmission (3.11 or 3.71 ratio 4t80e) completely separated no warranty pick up only in WI.

Anyway, I stopped by to see AJ today. He has the PCMs and is excited. He is also very busywhich is good as in good things come in time. I left him to get his work done as I tend to get long-winded. I also looked at the exhaust side cam/lifter/tappet issue and I'm siding with AJ -- it exists. It also explains redesign to rollers. How to cure that problem with flat tappets I don't know. Oil thickness (fix by sumping? if due to starvation), high heat condition (reflow cylinder head?), ZDDP/additives lacking (Clarkz71?), or dare I say crappy motor and just give up altogether. Just some thoughts.

Shifter I guess. There's something wrong with it. Ive never been in there so I don't know how it works Yet. I'm still looking for a service manual.

Craig

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.