93 Eldo Northstar Map Sensor?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Tuning Discussion, 93 Eldo Northstar Map Sensor? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Does anyone know any reasons for an open map sensor code and intermitant map Ive replaced the map sensor twice ...
    Utang1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Angry 93 Eldo Northstar Map Sensor?

Does anyone know any reasons for an open map sensor code and intermitant map Ive replaced the map sensor twice and just replaced the connector and wires. It only starts stalling and sputtering when driving around town (stop and go) it get hot is what i figure, but once i get on the freeway it stops and runs normal, then starts again once in town. Any ideas will help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: 93 Eldo Northstar Map Sensor?

You'll need to get some sort of simple scan too to read what the MAP value is reading.

Low cost? ELM, go to Scantools.net or MXScan. My $ is to get MXScan (I will be ordering mine soon!)
    High cost? AutoTap

Look for a vacuum leak around it. I verified my MAP by connecting a hand held vacuum pump to the nipple of the sensor and pumped it up reading the PCM value on my Laptop with my ELM/Scantools.net scanner. Worked well, was dead on. But I sprayed some PB Blaster around it and I got PB Blaster smell out the tail pipe, I had a seal leak. I just put some red RTV on the seal and pushed it in, sprayed again after 2 days of sitting to ensure it was sealed up and no smell.

I don't have a FSM, but I would go talk to the N* Tech forum and ask for someone to post the troubleshooting on it. If sensor ok, and no vacuum leak, chase the wires all the way to the PCM, ensure they are good and NO breaks or rubbed off insulation. IF that isn't it, then PCM. I doubt PCM, those issues are rare. Don't rush to it, check it. If you can find another car that uses that MAP test on another car. Go to ACDELCO.com, and lookup the sensor, then put in that part number in the VEHICLE LIST and see where the part is used. Then see if a buddy has the same car....

lamistar is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 93 Eldo Northstar Map Sensor?

Had the exact same problem on my 93 Eldo Northstar. Also replaced the map sensor but still the same codes. Problem was the replacement MAP sensor, an off brand, wasn't cutting it- it wouldn't provide a steady reading to the PCM and often times, it would just shut down altogether, causing the PCM to shut down the injectors, leading to a stall. Problem was solved by replacing the new MAP sensor with an AC Delco brand- it cost a lot more than the off brand but you know what they say- "You get what you pay for..." Replace the MAP sensor with the OEM replacement and you should be good to go.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.