LT1 doesn't pick up well
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Tuning Discussion, LT1 doesn't pick up well in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi! I have an LT1 in my 94 FWB [as we all do!] and the pick up from standstill isn't ...
    425 Dual Quad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '94, '93 & '76 Fleetwood Broughams. '77 & '73 Coupe deVilles

LT1 doesn't pick up well

Hi!

I have an LT1 in my 94 FWB [as we all do!] and the pick up from standstill isn't all it should be. Basically if you are too heavy with the gas it seems the traction control cuts in and custs the motor, holding it back for about 5 to 10 seconds or so.
    Very dull
    Is there anything that can be done to alleviate this or is it normal?

Thansk
    Nick

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: LT1 doesn't pick up well

Quote Originally Posted by nick stratta View Post
    Hi!

I have an LT1 in my 94 FWB [as we all do!] and the pick up from standstill isn't all it should be. Basically if you are too heavy with the gas it seems the traction control cuts in and custs the motor, holding it back for about 5 to 10 seconds or so.
    Very dull
    Is there anything that can be done to alleviate this or is it normal?

Thansk
    Nick
    Learn how to feather the throttle on the launch. TC cuts in when the wheels spin. The best traction comes just before it breaks loose. It takes lots of practice to be a good drag racer. That's why John Force and the guys make the big bucks.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

There's really no way around the traction control, at least permanently, aside from just flicking the switch in the glove box to turn it off when you get in.

People have been trying, tuning wise, to figure out how to change the operation of the TC, but to no avail yet.

It is an annoying thing, I know, especially when you just try to get going and all of a sudden the gas pedal is pushing back at you, and the light's on because it sensed slip, but in iffy weather, that's also turned out to be a good thing.

So for now, just turn it off whenever you get in the car (resets everytime the car is turned off/on), and be on your way.

Oh well thanks a lot. I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it! een if it is a bit dull!
    My old Corvette didn't have the problem. You could literally stamp on the pedal and it was off! I guess it had a locking rear axle and 285 wide tyres though which helped considerably.

Did they make the 93-6 FWB's with a LSD axle?

regards Nick

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Nope, If TC was part of the car, G80 Posi is not allowed. Stupid in my book....

Wish it was. But I just installed a posi in my mine, but it is an older axle and and has now wheelspeed sensors so I lost my TC and ABS, but the added traction with the posi is FANTASTIC, FAR better than the TC system. Even in the rain I can still get a bit agressive on launch and no have any issues, with the TC and open, it sucked all the time no matter what.

So my factory axle is going to be rebuilt with a tighter posi and the factory 3.42s (the axle in now is a 1980 with 3.08's and posi). So I will get ABS/TC AND Posi.... Can't get better than that. And if my gears are wiped, I might go with 3.73's or 3.90's..... WWWWWWWWHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

With the TC active, you can do fairly well, just need to find that threshold of traction to keep the TC system from kicking in.... I think the car is still slightly faster if the TC is off and you push it just a touch, as the small block likes to be revved.....

Smile Re: LT1 doesn't pick up well

NODIH,

Yes I know bad news this TC. Does it work on the front wheels as well with the ABS - sort of a stability control - or just the rears. If it's just the rears then not so great!

I guess a posi in the rear is the way to go. What size axle do they have and can you get a posi carrier only for the gears? It's a lot easier than changing axles!
    I got one for my '65 Skylark project car [I'm stuffing a 425 dual quad Nailhead into it!]

Did yo get your posi done? If so how did it go?

cheers, Nick

The TC applies the brake of the offending wheel spinner, knocks down engine timing, and yanks the throttle back. It is VERY agressive.

It compares the difference of front wheel speed to rear wheel speed, making the assumption that the front wheels aren't gonna spin....

LT1 cars all had 8.5" axles unless it came in a Limo, then it got the bullet proof 9.5 semi floater. (no, I don't recommend it as an upgrade, it is VERY heavy). Parts are common everywhere. I see them all over swapmeets, complete with 3.42 or 3.73 gears (used) that are half decent. But for carrier, look to Randy's ring and pinion, you can get a posi there, or Summit, or Jegs, and then you have to have it installed.

Do NOT look to get the PowerTrax unit or LockRight. They are quite dangerous, and should never be considered for on highway driving, they run locked all the time like a spool, and can cause very easy spinouts on slick roads (wet and icy/snowy). And they tend to fight you in slow gentle curves like highway turns, they want to fight you and stay locked up.

I would personally look at a Eaton posi (clutch posi, rebuildable), they are OEM type units for many. GM has also used Auburn (cone posi, not rebuildable). I like the Eaton design. They are solid and can be biased up to as high as 800# between the axles, stock GM is 300#, you can do 200# and 400# also.

In general the tighter the more it will fight you. My posi now is pretty tight, even in tight corners I have to give it more gas to keep the car moving, or goose it and light them up.... I like it!!!! I can really really get on it hard now where before I always had the feather the heck out of the one wheel wonder....

Given a choice, posi vs TC, posi wins by a LONG shot....

But swapping in a posi unit is not something the average backyard joe can do, it takes special tools (which aren't terribly expensive) and time and room and experience is really worth it. But don't be dicouraged, I am going to try it and maybe get my 3.42's setup with posi this weekend! We'll see how much time I have. I haven't done it, but plan for at least 8 hours to work.

Smile Re: LT1 doesn't pick up well

NODIH,

Hi - so it's an 8.5" axle. Don't they go way back to the late sixties?

I've got a 8.2" in my Skylark with the 3.05 gears. I remember now that if I wanted an Eaton posi for the Skylark [which at the time was a favourite choice] it only came for 3.55 gears and up in the 8.2" or for most gears in the 8.5" - or somehting like that. Basically to go the easy route sticking with my gears in my axle I had to use an Auburn unit. It's not rebuildable which actually isn't so bad since I can't see me trashing it and I later found out that is what the factory Skylark GS cars with the 401 motor came with - an 8.2" axle, 3.05 gears and an Auburn posi.

So putting a posi in the '94 FWB would be about the same as doing one in a Chevelle/ Monte Carlo/ 2nd Gen Camaro/ Firebird or similar - fine! It would be good to see how your's goes. Good luck for the weekend!

regards
    Nick

Yup, the 8.5 (and 8.6) is just a grown up 8.2.... The 8.6 is also known as the 8 5/8". I believe 8.6" parts fit in a 8.5" case and vice versa. But a true 8.6" case is beefier than a 8.5".

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    The TC applies the brake of the offending wheel spinner, knocks down engine timing, and yanks the throttle back. It is VERY agressive.

It compares the difference of front wheel speed to rear wheel speed, making the assumption that the front wheels aren't gonna spin....

LT1 cars all had 8.5" axles unless it came in a Limo, then it got the bullet proof 9.5 semi floater. (no, I don't recommend it as an upgrade, it is VERY heavy). Parts are common everywhere. I see them all over swapmeets, complete with 3.42 or 3.73 gears (used) that are half decent. But for carrier, look to Randy's ring and pinion, you can get a posi there, or Summit, or Jegs, and then you have to have it installed.

Do NOT look to get the PowerTrax unit or LockRight. They are quite dangerous, and should never be considered for on highway driving, they run locked all the time like a spool, and can cause very easy spinouts on slick roads (wet and icy/snowy). And they tend to fight you in slow gentle curves like highway turns, they want to fight you and stay locked up.

I would personally look at a Eaton posi (clutch posi, rebuildable), they are OEM type units for many. GM has also used Auburn (cone posi, not rebuildable). I like the Eaton design. They are solid and can be biased up to as high as 800# between the axles, stock GM is 300#, you can do 200# and 400# also.

In general the tighter the more it will fight you. My posi now is pretty tight, even in tight corners I have to give it more gas to keep the car moving, or goose it and light them up.... I like it!!!! I can really really get on it hard now where before I always had the feather the heck out of the one wheel wonder....

Given a choice, posi vs TC, posi wins by a LONG shot....

But swapping in a posi unit is not something the average backyard joe can do, it takes special tools (which aren't terribly expensive) and time and room and experience is really worth it. But don't be dicouraged, I am going to try it and maybe get my 3.42's setup with posi this weekend! We'll see how much time I have. I haven't done it, but plan for at least 8 hours to work.
    Your remarks on Lock-Rite are very interesting. I've had a Lock-Rite in my Ford Ranger for years and drive on ice covered roads for six months out of the year. In my experience it is about the least invasive LSR I have ever encountered. It doesn't click nearly as loud as a Detroit locker but it can get grabby and make bad noises on sharp turns in slush. The best Posi I ever had was a factory unit in a 1960 Chev El Camino. With one tire on glare ice and the other on pavement you could do burnouts on the pavement. Next best was a 1966 El Camino that sometimes required a pull on the handbrake to set it. The worst was a Mazda RX-7 Turbo which was almost like a completely open rear end. I tore it down to find out why and found the factory had installed the discs upside down but it didn't make any difference when I corrected it. For the most part, if a posi is really effective it makes the car drive like you're on the trolly tracks.

I still haven't figured out the diff (pun intended) in the Lock Rite to PowerTrax, but they seem to be nearly identical. I have read lots of people complaining about them when on slick surfaces with low traction causing many issues with spinning out, even driving very very careful. If it is a 4x4 Ranger then that is probably why you did ok, but a 2WD with both back tires LOCKED on ice would be quite dangerous. Even a really tight posi (like the 800# springs) would be pretty dangerous as well.

A snow packed road is probably relatively ok, but icy roads are a nightmare just about anytime. I have had my times on ice and don't relish it. Snow packed roads? Love em! I rather enjoy lots of snow. I hate the mess the salt does to them.....

Almost got stationed at a radar unit in the Army north of Fairbanks. Sorta wish I did, but I had a newborn and they changed my orders for Colorado Springs, CO....

Yes, I am the nut who thinks my 80 Trans AM is a good snow car, posi, V8 Turbo power and good tires and it was a ball!! Now I go for my 94 Fleetwood, but the ultimate is my 99 K2500 454 Burb.... G80 locker and all....

The Ranger is 2WD. Lock-Rite is made by Powertrax. It works fine on glare ice or hard packed snow, you just have to know how to pedal the throttle. It's just like driving a stock car on a flat track; you have to let it roll through the corners and get on the throttle at the exit. The Army hasn't had radar sites in Alaska since Nike days. They were decomissioned in the 1970's. They're all Air Force. Most of those have been decomissioned as well.

They are the Firefinder radars, AN/TPQ-36 and AN/TPQ-37. They are still there.... Not long range, they are artillery tracking.

Ah so! The old counter battery trackers. Still used for Cope Thunder exercises.

How far north is that unit? I am curious just where I would have ended up.

Got any picts from the area?

I have been watching the show Deadiest Catch on Discovery and rather enjoy the glimpses of the Bering Sea. Talk about a brutal job, but the pay is good for the 2 weeks of torture....

We often camped out on old Nike/Hercules sites in Germany and other places, and even got a hold of the old Nike/Hercules power generators to give us 115v@400 Hz for the radars so we could save on running our 60KW 400 Hz Precise generators (8 gallons of diesel per hour....).

I miss working on the big radars, they were a blast.... most people can't imagine the enormous power out from them. They would fry you at close range, at 157m, they still had power levels of >10mW per cm^3. That is power boys and girls.... And 5000+ antennas that direct it.... Ahh things I did in my old Army life...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.